Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Default New Comic Books that literally stink

I'm not talking about the writing or the artwork.

Recently I purchased two trades that I've yet to read solely because the stench coming from the ink is so strong that my eyes start watering within less than five minutes after cracking them open.

Have tried reading in the open air, but it's only very slightly better.

(Mom and dad always did say that comic books were bad for me, but this is ridiculous.)

Any ideas that will alleviate the problem without damaging the books? I've thought of activated charcoal deodorizer sachets (powder could be damaging?) and leaving them open outside (too many wild birds and bugs.)
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

BANNED

Leaving them next to a cup of baking soda for several days (without allowing the powder to touch the books) should help with the bacteria yhat causes the stench.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by TroubleWithTrebles View Post
    Leaving them next to a cup of baking soda for several days (without allowing the powder to touch the books) should help with the bacteria yhat causes the stench.
    Thank you! Have run across magazines in the past that were bad, but these books take the cake....and the pie...the whole bakery shop. It's unbearable and I really, really want to read the stories.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Incredible Member Jonah Weiland's Avatar

I was told by a publisher once that sometimes comics stink because of shipping -- the comics are printed in Korea, placed on a boat to travel across the Pacific, then end up in a port somewhere in the US and sit there for days or weeks before the customs inspection. And all that time, all that paper is just soaking up the smells of the sea. Don't know if that's totally true, but it sounds pretty good to me!
    -- Jonah Weiland
    -- Just Another Comic Book Fan
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

I've found that some comics have a certain odor to it, like my watchmen trade has a very distinct smell, which I actually kind of like because it takes me back to a simplier time where I just got into comics.

I love the smell of old comics from the past. It's the old ink on paper smell you can't get anywhere else.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Wally 'Ginger' West fan

I love the smell of the sea and old books. Best place in the world is an old bookstore or a tidepool seaside. It's an even toss up.

The smell these brand new books were giving off? More like some chemical toxic waste dump in the back of a pharmaceutical company. It has to be the ink.

Held my breath and put on safety goggles:

It's printed in Korea. (Good lord where do they get their inks from? Darkseid? )

It's by IDW. A Doctor Who compilation of Eleven's stories. Nicely done embossed cover. So so artwork inside as far as I saw from quick flipping. I'm chomping at the bit to read the stories, but it's definitely going to have to wait awhile more.

BANNED

Is it the smell of the ink/paper being overwhelming or is it another smell (like the sea, as suggested)? I happen to love the smell of freshly printed books/comics/etc., but I can see it being a strong smell and unpleasant to others. I think if you just leave it out in the open for a while that'll dissipate. If'n it's sea-smell, or cigarette smoke or some such, then you're probably going to have to take steps to eliminate it or just end up replacing it.

Is it just me that loves the smell of ink on new comics? o.O

BANNED

I like the smell of cheap ink in comics. Books from small publishers, especially black & white books, smell wonderful. To me, anyway. Can't say I notice much from Marvel or DC.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Is it the smell of the ink/paper being overwhelming or is it another smell (like the sea, as suggested)? I happen to love the smell of freshly printed books/comics/etc., but I can see it being a strong smell and unpleasant to others. I think if you just leave it out in the open for a while that'll dissipate. If'n it's sea-smell, or cigarette smoke or some such, then you're probably going to have to take steps to eliminate it or just end up replacing it.
    I'm not sure except that it doesn't smell anything like the sea (not even the sea over a busy dock with garbage and seagull poop in it. Used to go fishing off a pier back in the day and school field trips to the Californian tidepools. Grew up around the ocean.)

Also had relatives who were heavy smokers. It's not that either.

The smell is definitely man-made toxic. Could be something in the paper, seems more like the ink, but heck if I know. It starts burning my eyes right away.
    Will add that I've bought a fair amount of trade books since 2009 (new and used) and nothing even came close to what this book is giving off save for it's companion edition. That is to say, the paperback version smells too, but was bearable outdoors, but this hardbound could well be deadly in an enclosed space. Thank goodness mom gave away her canary awhile back. I'd hate to have been responsible for its death.

I started the baking soda treatment today. Used a new-ish lidded box from China that also had an objectionable odor in it. Maybe kill....eh, fix two problems at once.