Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Action Comics #32 Discussion/Spoilers

Superman is still Doomed. Chapter 1 of Enemy of the State begins here.
    spoilers:
    Superman has escaped and has been deemed an Enemy of the State by the president. In a televised news conference, Lois Lane declares to the world that the hero that once was is gone. She explains that he is very dangerous and not to be trusted. Senator Lane seizes the opportunity, and with new command powers bestowed on him, recruits/re-animates John Corben (aka Metal-0 or Metallo) for a dangerous mission.
    Meanwhile, Wonder Woman and Lana Lang contact each other (due to Clark’s foresight and ingenuity) and reach a common understanding on where they stand when it comes to him. Lana reveals that the brains from all of the coma victims from Smallville have been sending electrical signals into space. She promises to look into it further.
    Superman, in the meantime, is horrified to find out that wherever he goes, death to all life follows. He retreats to the Atacama desert in Chile and pings Steel his location. Once he arrives, Superman gives him the Phantom Zone Projector Controller so that he can be sent through if all else fails. Clark has a violent outburst and is on the verge of succumbing to more, when Lex Luthor informs Steel that senator Lane has a battleship on the way with the “toys” John Henry kept at his S.T.E.E.L. facility. Metal-0, under the complete influence of a Brainiac-infused Lois Lane, is ready for the suicide mission (the ship is full of tanks with compressed kryptonite in aerosol form). Steel has a fight with Joseph Martin (aka the Atomic Skull), while Superman, in a desperate attempt to save a life, flies towards the ship in order to try to reason with Corben. Determined with his newfound purpose, John sets off the tanks, destroying the ship and killing himself in the process.
    The Superman persona is left weakened (or dead?) and all that is left is a flying figure of Doom.
    end of spoilers

After Lobdell’s lackluster Superman 31, the story once again moves forward with some political and military maneuvering and intrigue that reveal the different approaches to Superman’s transformation from friends and foes alike. Pak has crafted an amazing issue that’s all about alliances and loyalty.
    Don’t let the cover fool you. While the Ghost Soldier has no place in this story at all and Metallo and Atomic Skull feature briefly, the real highlight of the issue is Steel. After his brief cameo in Doomed #1, he takes center stage here as a true ally to Superman. There is also a wonderful exchange between Wonder Woman and Lana Lang that is on point and defines their stance when it comes to Superman. The Brainic/Lois scheme finally seems to be bearing some fruit as it brings about serious repercussions at the end of the issue.
    All in all, solid storytelling. And it is up to Soule and Superman/Wonder Woman #9 to shine next.
    Last edited by Xarek; 06-04-2014 at 04:23 PM. Reason: grammar
    Searching for Samus Aran. Still.

Leave it to the Military to make things worse i swear. I wish there was more krypto action but i liked the issue especially the lana and diana (fist bump) oh yea who know they gonna get sh** done.

BANNED

Lois seemed to have some control, it wasn't completely brainiac. Really bad for the character.

the issue was repetitive...

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Lois seemed to have some control, it wasn't completely brainiac. Really bad for the character.

the issue was repetitive...
    Why would you even think that?
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

I also liked Steel a lot here. I don't really see him enough in the n52, maybe he'll get a series if they don't relaunch Superboy.

Fantastic Member butterfingers158's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Because the New 52 is a giant conspiracy against Lois Lane.

Obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by butterfingers158 View Post
    Because the New 52 is a giant conspiracy against Lois Lane.

Obviously.
    Then, if it's so obvious, can you please explain how Lois (the real Lois Lane not Brainiac) is being used here and how it is to her benefit? How is the real Lois Lane receiving character development and a chance to shine as herself in this story line? What, in your view, is the impact of the prolonged ambiguity about what aspects of Lois's behavior come from her own choices and which aspects of Lois's behavior come from Brainiac pulling the strings?

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Because it wasn't well-written. Simple as that. There's nothing within this comic in particular (or the previous one) to suggest Lois isn't in control of her own actions.

Now, we an all speculate and say "She seems like she's acting out of character because she's been influenced by Brainiac", and that ultimately will likely end up being the case, but it's not being built up properly as is a bit distracting from the main story if so.

My main problem is trying to wrap my head around why Superman can't leave. He sequestered himself initially, first in his apartment, then in the lab. Then he busted out and refuses to go somewhere safe because of... some sort of compulsion to remain on Earth. Steel's option was a great one. Go to the moon. Wait while they think of a plan. He seems to recognize this is a good plan, and yet, can't bring himself to go through with it. It's baffling.

This issue was freaking brilliant! Pak is just owning it on Action Comics.

Steel hasn't been this well fleshed out since the New 52 started. His Lana Lang is full leaps and bounds above any portrayal in my recollection. And poor, haunted Clark here....

Seriously though, that two panel spread with Diana's "Always." and Lana's "Fist bump." actually gave me chills, it was so.bloody.perfect.

This book was easily my favorite read so far this week!
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Spectacular Member devinofthedead's Avatar

Great issue! I'm very surprised with how well this story has been. After each issue I just can't wait for the next. Very interested with how the next issue will be, considering the ending. Pak is a beast! IN PAK WE TRUST!

Also Kolins' art was just as on point as Kuder's! I loved Kolins when he was on the Flash with Johns. Hopefully he will be filling in for Kuder when need be.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black Angel View Post
    Leave it to the Military to make things worse i swear. I wish there was more krypto action but i liked the issue especially the lana and diana (fist bump) oh yea who know they gonna get sh** done.
    My dad (the 3 war veteran) would love this comment

Far and away, my least favorite Pak issue

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    My dad (the 3 war veteran) would love this comment

Far and away, my least favorite Pak issue
    I think he meant that in fiction, especially science fiction, the military is almost never seen in a good light.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think he meant that in fiction, especially science fiction, the military is almost never seen in a good light.
    And usually "the military" refers less about the soldiers and more high-ranking officers. There certainly are bad guy soldiers, but I feel they're generally balanced by good guy soldiers. On the other hand, often times the decision-makers are the bad guys, or even the ones who are mostly good are still part of the problem.

On topic: I don't really care much for General, or Senator in this case, Lane. Never have. As others have said, he's too much of a Thunderbolt Ross wannabe. I'm not sure what it would take for me to like the guy except perhaps reverting him to his non-military origins.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    And usually "the military" refers less about the soldiers and more high-ranking officers. There certainly are bad guy soldiers, but I feel they're generally balanced by good guy soldiers. On the other hand, often times the decision-makers are the bad guys, or even the ones who are mostly good are still part of the problem.

On topic: I don't really care much for General, or Senator in this case, Lane. Never have. As others have said, he's too much of a Thunderbolt Ross wannabe. I'm not sure what it would take for me to like the guy except perhaps reverting him to his non-military origins.
    You know, I think the easiest way to make Lane interesting is to just write him like a *real* military man. Drop this ridiculous "I'll burn the planet to save it from you, hero!" Thunderbolt Ross foolishness, and treat him like he's got a brain. Politicians and military leaders are going to be wary of Superman no matter what, simply because he's accountable only to himself. But that doesnt mean they're going to treat him like he's bin Laden either. Lane's job is to prepare for the worst, and with mind controllers and demonic possession and monster viruses running amok in the DCU, it's obviously not unheard of that Superman might end up being a problem. But Lane shouldnt discount all the good Superman has done, or the fact that he's *clearly* on humanity's side.

Lane would be much more fun if he wasnt so clearly defined as a "bad guy" There would be times when Superman's goals are the same as America's. And during those times Lane should work with Superman for the greater good. And there are times when Superman's actions are going to go against what American politicians are doing, or when America doesnt want anyone snooping around. And during those times, Lane will have to be prepared to confront and detain Superman.

Make Lane's morality a little more complex. He's a patriot willing to do anything for his nation, and Superman has done some good work out there, inspiring the people, saving lives, avoiding the red tape and politics that the military gets wrapped up in. But Superman's still dangerous, he's a loose cannon even though he works within well defined ethical boundaries, and his presence brings a number of threats with it. Sam Lane should be a good, honest man, but one who agrees with Lex Luthor's more sane points about the problems Superman creates. Lane should offer a chance to explore the real world complexities a being like Superman would create, without having to delve into that morass across the entire comic book.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-08-2014 at 07:00 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Seriously though, that two panel spread with Diana's "Always." and Lana's "Fist bump." actually gave me chills, it was so.bloody.perfect.
    My favorite part of the issue.

Superman should have gone to the moon a long ago.

They should assign Wondy to watch him 24/7, but they're probably leaving that for Soule in SM/WW #9.