Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Axel-In-Charge: Unmasking the "Totally Awesome Hulk"

Axel Alonso details the behind-the-scenes origins of the "Totally Awesome Hulk," and talks three recently announced new series.

Full article here.

At least there's honesty regarding the obvious marketing involved with Cho being Hulk and having it cater towards Koreans. Its sad that instead of pushing a badass like Shang-Chi more there has to be another one of these kinds of switches.

Looking forward to seeing what happens with Banner now that he's Hulk free.

Spectacular Member Tula's boyfriend's Avatar

A possibility of a new Alpha Flight title has be super excited.

Amadeus Cho is 19? Would've pegged him for about 16 or 17. Guess time has passed since his first appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorNova View Post
    At least there's honesty regarding the obvious marketing involved with Cho being Hulk and having it cater towards Koreans. Its sad that instead of pushing a badass like Shang-Chi more there has to be another one of these kinds of switches.

I love Shang Chi but did you see the sales for his last two mini's?
    We need better comics

Astonishing Member

Um, you do know that Shang Chi is chinese right? They aren't interchangeable.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I love Shang Chi but did you see the sales for his last two mini's?
    Eh ignore it, this whole "push" excuse is just that pretty much, an excuse, because when these characters were "pushed", no one bought them. Hickman was doing a lot with Shang Chi, and nothing came from it.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Um, you do know that Shang Chi is chinese right? They aren't interchangeable.
    Yes, of course, but I think its safe to assume this is directed towards Asian readers and not just Koreans specifically.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Yes, of course, but I think its safe to assume this is directed towards Asian readers and not just Koreans specifically.
    Shang Chi is cool but he is very much an "Asian Character" rather than a character who happens to be Asian. Amadeus is the latter (at least more so than Shang).

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Yeah, this is garbage on so many levels.

First, ethnicity. I don't care that Hulk is asian. It doesn't matter. It doesn't mean ANYTHING. There is zero significance to it. Hulk was designed specifically to be NO race. He's not white or black or asian, he's Hulk. Stan Lee specifically chose to make him a color that had no racial connotations. So the fact that they're actually discussing this as some sort of big deal is just headshakingly stupid.

Second, story. This is pure laziness. Bruce and Hulk are not two abstract things that can just be split apart, they are two halves of the same character. You can't just take Hulk and pin him on some other character and suddenly make that character the new hero of the story. And you can't just get rid of Bruce Banner being the Hulk because Bruce Banner being the Hulk is the whole point of the story. Banner with no Hulk = Banner's problems are solved and I no longer care about him. Character I'm not interested in become the HUlk and I'm still not interested because being big and green isn't enough to be interesting. I don't understand why Marvel is so devoted to overthinking their characters: Bruce Banner is Hulk, proceed to tell stories. It's not rocket science.

Thirtly, history. Remember how great it was when the Hulk hopped over from Bruce Banner to Rick Jones? Yeah, me neither. This is a bad rehash of a bad idea.
    Miller was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tula's boyfriend View Post
    I hope so, that and a Captain Britain book. I have a feeling that it will be a Northstar solo however, or be called "Northstar and Alpha Flight". And that a Captain Britain solo will star Faiza Hussain instead of Braddock. Just a hunch.
    currently reading: Dept. H, Hellboy in Hell, Kaijumax, Moon Knight

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tula's boyfriend View Post
    Me too. I'm not holding my breath though. Captain Britain seems more likely, given AF track record.

That said I'd definitely buy an Alpha Flight series. So marvel hopefully delivers
    X-Men Forever

Mighty Member

I think it's directed to anyone who likes a fun story.
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

Spectacular Member

As an asian reader, I can tell you that an asian superhero whose thing is doing kung fu, is absolutely not marketed toward me, any more than the novel Shogun is marketed to Japanese readers. There's nothing wrong with it, but there is just no comparison between Amadeus Cho and Shang Chi on that front.

That said, I agree with the sentiment that this seems kind of lazy. But best case scenario, this Hulk thing runs its course and he retains whatever reader interest he picked up.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    Yeah, this is garbage on so many levels.

First, ethnicity. I don't care that Hulk is asian. It doesn't matter. It doesn't mean ANYTHING. There is zero significance to it. Hulk was designed specifically to be NO race. He's not white or black or asian, he's Hulk. Stan Lee specifically chose to make him a color that had no racial connotations. So the fact that they're actually discussing this as some sort of big deal is just headshakingly stupid.

Second, story. This is pure laziness. Bruce and Hulk are not two abstract things that can just be split apart, they are two halves of the same character. You can't just take Hulk and pin him on some other character and suddenly make that character the new hero of the story. And you can't just get rid of Bruce Banner being the Hulk because Bruce Banner being the Hulk is the whole point of the story. Banner with no Hulk = Banner's problems are solved and I no longer care about him. Character I'm not interested in become the HUlk and I'm still not interested because being big and green isn't enough to be interesting. I don't understand why Marvel is so devoted to overthinking their characters: Bruce Banner is Hulk, proceed to tell stories. It's not rocket science.

Thirtly, history. Remember how great it was when the Hulk hopped over from Bruce Banner to Rick Jones? Yeah, me neither. This is a bad rehash of a bad idea.
    We have no idea how this will work yet, but it doesn't sound like the hulk is grafted onto Cho, it sounds like he's his own hulk.

Also, I think saying that the ethnicity of the hulk matters little and then arguing against it changing is a contradiction. Bruce has been informed by his cultural background, and now a different character will be informed differently. We're sorely short on Asian protagonists (especially created and used by Asian creators) so this is definitely history.