Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Sure. He said it on a interview from newsarama when he was discussing Final Crisis at the time:
    Well, that is almost 15 years after he wrote a Kyle Rayner who had a good deal of Hal Jordan hero worship and a fear he'd never measure up to the original.

It's my impression that he would be interested in investing in the GL mythology, but DC may only want him to have full focus on Hal Jordan, since DC was pushing Hal as the front and center of the GL universe. That's my guess.
    That is a very Grant Morrison thing, wanting to have access to all the toys in a franchise, not just the currently popular one.
    He's the guy that brought back the league of international Batmen after all.

Amazing a quote by Morrison where he implicitly expresses nothing but praise for the work of Geoff Johns, and his incredible use, and take on Hal and the Corps.
    As ...his current favorite comic book, as smart, inclusive, world-building and inspirational, etc...

Taken by "fans"/haters and somehow twisted maliciously to imply the opposite of what he actually said about the work, that they may have somehow forced it and Hal on Morrison that he may have derided Johns' take and approach to GL.
    When the whole point of the quote is how much he embraced it.

Unbelievable new low for haters of Geoff Johns / Hal Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Am I crazy or are GL fans completely irrational about this???
    No you are not crazy.

Heres another quote by Grant Morrison as he champions the use of character Hal Jordan in the Corps.... Final Crisis:
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-10-2015 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Amazing a quote by Morrison where he implicitly expresses nothing but praise for the work of Geoff Johns, and his incredible use, and take on Hal and the Corps.
    As ...his current favorite comic book, as smart, inclusive, world-building and inspirational, etc...

Taken by "fans"/haters and somehow twisted maliciously to imply the opposite of what he actually said, that they may have forced Hal on him that he may have derided Johns' take and approach to GL.
    Grant Morrison said he always preferred Kyle Rayner and John Stewart, so... nothing was twisted. I don't even know where you're getting this from. He praised Geoff Johns' work, not particularly the Hal Jordan character. Sodam did make his own supposition about something, based upon what he's seen from DC, but that's his right to do. It's not an "unbelievable low."
    Talk about being defensive.

I think this is a good example of why there is a divide. My particular view is that I can't even really talk to some Green Lantern fans freely, so I tend to avoid them (though some of them seem to want to have a go at me often enough) and associate with the ones I feel I can freely talk to. Which is okay with me, all in all. I don't really view us as being part of the same fanbase anyway, because the divide and differences in sensibilities seem to be so great, from my experience.
    Last edited by Desh; 09-10-2015 at 06:46 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Grant Morrison said he always preferred Kyle Rayner and John Stewart, so... nothing was twisted. I don't even know where you're getting this from. He praised Geoff Johns' work, not particularly the Hal Jordan character. Sodam did make his own supposition about something, based upon what he's seen from DC, but that's his right to do. It's not an "unbelievable low."
    Talk about being defensive.

I think this is a good example of why there is a divide. My particular view is that I can't even really talk to some Green Lantern fans freely, so I tend to avoid them (though some of them seem to want to have a go at me often enough) and associate with the ones I feel I can freely talk to. Which is okay with me, all in all. I don't really view us as being part of the same fanbase anyway, because the divide and differences in sensibilities seem to be so great, from my experience.
    You can talk to me. I just wish they'd reboot it, treat them all as equals and put two Lanterns on Earth. And preferably flush the emotional spectrum, or at least send it to Earth 3 in the reboot. Also, not believe that any particular writer can do no wrong.

I don't think I'm being radical there, although in the past many people have regarded that as outlandish. It doesn't seem so out there now does it?
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 09-10-2015 at 07:29 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    ...I just wish they'd reboot it, treat them all as equals and put two Lanterns on Earth...
    Unfortunately, this isn't going to calm the armed fan-camps. If the extant four lanterns are in the picture, each will clamor for their fave to be the focus. It's why I suggest the only cure was to burn down the house, and give the entire GL franchise almost as thorough an overhaul as Broome and Kane did in 1959. They could have kept the space corps concept, but significantly updated it. John, Hal, Guy, and Kyle, however, all needed to go in order to straighten out the brand.

Also unfortunately, that ship sailed with the Nu52 relaunch. Thus, we're left with this ongoing holy war among the lantern fans.

BANNED

I don't go along with flushing all the Earth Lanterns. Why would you do that? So you'd get the chance to create a new one? How do you know that character would be popular? The four current Lanterns have all got fans, and they can sell comics. Embrace that and use it instead of running away from it.

Oh and my other "outrageous" idea: Depict the four of them as GREEN Lanterns and nothing else.

Someone posted here that when did DC did its company-wide reboot, Geoff was busy writing his multi-colored opera and nobody was going to bother him with anything as insignificant as the rest of the DCU getting a new start. A reboot now would be easy to do though. Here's how I would do it.

http://glitb.blogspot.com/

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

I don't go along with flushing all the Earth Lanterns. Why would you do that? So you'd get the chance to create a new one? How do you know that character would be popular? The four current Lanterns have all got fans, and they can sell comics. Embrace that and use it instead of running away from it.

Oh and my other "outrageous" idea: Depict the four of them as GREEN Lanterns and nothing else.

Someone posted here that when did DC did its company-wide reboot, Geoff was busy writing his multi-colored opera and nobody was going to bother him with anything as insignificant as the rest of the DCU getting a new start. A reboot now would be easy to do though. Here's how I would do it.
    The same thing happened for Batman, which is why it was silly for DC to do the reboot when they did it (which lends all kinds of credence to the fact that it was mandated from on high).

Personally, I don't think you need to do much to reboot the GLs. What they did at the start of the New 52 was not bad. Hal was the main Green Lantern. John and Guy served as Space Lanterns and Kyle was allowed to do his own thing. The problem was that every character kept getting sucked up into John's epic, which meant they did not have the chance to live and breathe on their own. Their titles were relegated to side-show-attractions, at best.

BANNED

This thread can be summerized in this words "Hal Jordan sucks make my guy the main franchise character",I always lauge seeing the Hal hate in this forum sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Hi everyone! So I haven't been on this site long but its easy to see the divide in the GL fanbase between Hal, John, Kyle and Guy. And I understand that, everyone has their favorites and whatnot but here is my problem: I keep hearing people say that favorite version has been sidelined, and its usually John and Kyle fans. But that never made any sense to me. Its not a Flash situation where they bench whoever Barry or Wally whenever dc decides to push the other. All of those characters have had their own ongoing solo titles recently. And frankly Hal doesn't seem to be doing all that much better than them. Then again I've also heard people who theorized that Hal was getting sidelined at one point or another. So why does this complaint keep coming up?
    GL and Flash are my two favorite characters in comics. been collecting both, and most/if not all of their satellite titles, for nearly a quarter century now.

hard to put into words how good GL fans (of which I'm obviously one) have it lately. what DC has done to the flash universe is the comics equivalent of a punch to the dick. your favorite GL character? he's likely starring in a series SOMEWHERE. your favorite flash character? well, unless that's barry allen, your favorite character is probably unrecognizable. and even if you are a barry allen fan, your series is borderline unreadable trash.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    This thread can be summerized in this words "Hal Jordan sucks make my guy the main franchise character",I always lauge seeing the Hal hate in this forum sometimes.
    To be fair, I have been noticing more "John Stewart is boring" posts this year, which were far, far fewer in the recent past than the "Hal Jordan is boring" posts. Why? Because of the possibility of John making it to the film.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

A lot of fandom is about keeping the flame of a particular character, and that's very true of GL. People want their favorite GL protected and promoted, and I get that, even though I don't love all the GLs. The way to do it is to give them all an equal chance, and you can't do such a thing without a reboot that flushes any ass-clownery of the past and the elimination of the concept of a flagship title for the property.

I think the GL concept can carry four titles, or even more. But it has to be about the GL concept this time. No more, "Let's turn them into something else because we're too uncreative to write titles that treat the four as equals." That's a piece of cake to do, if you'll finally give up the idea that one is "the greatest."

Put it this way -- if you've got four characters, and out of the gate you immediately proclaim three of them to be also-rans, you're preventing them from selling the way they otherwise might. That's just damned stupid.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 09-10-2015 at 04:30 PM.

A lot of fandom is about keeping the flame of a particular character, and that's very true of GL. People want their favorite GL protected and promoted, and I get that, even though I don't love all the GLs. The way to do it is to give them all an equal chance, and you can't do such a thing without a reboot that flushes any ass-clownery of the past and the elimination of the concept of a flagship title for the property.

I think the GL concept can carry four titles, or even more. But it has to be about the GL concept this time. No more, "Let's turn them into something else because we're too uncreative to write titles that treat the four as equals." That's a piece of cake to do, if you'll finally give up the idea that one is "the greatest."

Put it this way -- if you've got four characters, and out of the gate you immediately proclaim three of them to be also-rans, you're preventing them from selling the way they otherwise might. That's just damned stupid.
    What you say makes sense. The problem is, now given equal treatment, one of them most likely would still stand out sales-wise for whatever reason. Once that happened, DC would then start putting more eggs in that GL's basket and then we would be back to square one.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    What you say makes sense. The problem is, now given equal treatment, one of them most likely would still stand out sales-wise for whatever reason. Once that happened, DC would then start putting more eggs in that GL's basket and then we would be back to square one.
    Let's say that you gave them all a fair shot, but that one or two of them didn't sell well enough to continue as the star of an ongoing. Fair enough. Then you put that one or two on a team title. And in five to seven years, after people had seen enough of them in that title, and hopefully gotten to appreciate them more as Green Lanterns, you give them another try in an ongoing.

Let's say that you gave them all a fair shot, but that one or two of them didn't sell well enough to continue as the star of an ongoing. Fair enough. Then you put that one or two on a team title. And in five to seven years, after people had seen enough of them in that title, and hopefully gotten to appreciate them more as Green Lanterns, you give them another try in an ongoing.
    That would be more than fine by me, but you know the most fanatical of those particular GL's wouldn't be as appreciative.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    That would be more than fine by me, but you know the most fanatical of those particular GL's wouldn't be as appreciative.
    Hey, if you give a character a fair shot and he doesn't sell, that's how it goes. That doesn't mean you could never give him another shot. People would deal with it, as they always have to in such matters They couldn't be mad at you, so they'd have to be mad at fandom.