Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hammergiant View Post
    You know, for someone who likes to bag on Kyle fans, you display a awful lot of animosity toward one Kyle Rayner.
    Don't have allot of sympathy for their cries of - " Kyle wasn't buried until Johns put a knife in his back and cleared him out "
    Considering how Kyle was introduced and maintained, by clearing everyone else out LOL!
    And that Johns portrayal of Kyle was as nothing less than an absolute champion of the Corps.

The shocking event that introed Kyle sold! You have to give them that. And I do love the idea of an artist GL, it makes sense, I'm glad he's around.
    You know what also sold, bringing Jordan, Guy, John and all the Corps back!
    It all comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Well, I hope these posts answer OP's questions.
    LOL!
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-06-2015 at 03:13 PM.

Outside_85, Skyvolt, and Hammergiant pretty much said what the issue is.

The fans kinda have a right to be unhappy with the treatment of certain characters. I'm a John fan, and it kinda sucks to see one of your favorite characters can't catch a break. I also believe that John fans are the most vocal of the 4 sects, but he's had crap, upon crap piled upon him for a good number of years and we just want him to be respected.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Don't have allot of sympathy for their cries of - " Kyle wasn't buried until Johns put a knife in his back and cleared him out "
    Considering how Kyle was introduced and maintained, by clearing everyone else out LOL!
    And that Johns portrayal of Kyle was as nothing less than an absolute champion of the Corps.

The shocking event that introed Kyle sold! You have to give them that. And I do love the idea of an artist GL, it makes sense, I'm glad he's around.
    You know what also sold, bringing Jordan, Guy, John and all the Corps back!
    It all comes around.

Yeah, the thing is, Kyle really wasn't sidelined until Rebirth. Johns gave us back the four GL's and then promptly shoved three of them aside to concentrate exclusively on one. The other three became satellites whirring about in space around the central story point. Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night were very much Hal Jordan stories, with the other guys playing supporting roles.

It's tough to blame the fictional character for the way he was introduced.

Johns barely portrayed Kyle at all. We were often told the four were equals, but never really shown it. Under Johns, Hal Jordan was always shown as the absolute champion of the Corps. Look at the picture you posted. Who is in the center foreground? That is the way the franchise was handled during Johns' reign.
    "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."-
    Benjamin Franklin

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Ok. They could have put John in the main Corps book, instead of Kyle, Kyle already had Ion. Jonhs wasn't even writing those books, you can't blame him for everything. LOL!
    Look to the editor of the Corps book at the time. . And again ask yourself why Kyle became Guardian of the Universe, not John Stewart, who was actually prophesied to it.
    As to how John ended up in a wheelchair, and without the will power to be a GL, again check the editors of Kyle's book.
    The supposed "last ring" should have gone to John, who was right there on Mosaic(Oa) instead, they ignored John even existed, and had Ganthet fly all the way to earth to give it away randomly to anyone.
    Then so they could justify Kyle having the only ring they crippled John.

Truth is DC editorial loves the schism created by the Corps concept, and the possibility of many GLs of Earth.
    It's how they've played it since the intro of Earth's second Corps Lantern. And they've been playing them (and the fans) off each other since.
    The rivalry and favoritism, and buzz good and bad it creates sells.
    When did Kyle become a Guardian? He was Ion again because for whatever reason they felt he needed his powers jacked up for the second time despite him working fine with Guy in GLC. That was when Kyle seemed to lose everything that made him unique as a GL. Then he got turned into Parallax so Johns could go "SEE IT COULD HAVE HAPPENED TO ANYONE GAIS". I know there was a plan to do the same with Guy and John but fortunately it was left out.

But back to John. I read GLC when Vol. 5 started. He was with Guy when Tomasi was writing the book. I was optimistic and gave the title another shot, only to get to see John sit there and do nothing as the Guardians decided to kill him. A story that should have focused on him instead focused on Guy trying to save him from getting killed. Then Van Jensen comes in and John starts being a character with agency again. That was with a writer who had no previous history with GL and wasn't a fan prior to writing GLC.

John didn't even have a ring by the time he was put in a wheelchair. He was a Darkstar at that point.

BANNED

Here is my whole thing, simplified:

-- Make them all GREEN Lanterns.

-- Don't have any sort of a hierarchy about who's "great," or who gets to star in an "A title," or who gets to have the popular creators.

-- Put two of them in space and two on Earth.

If you didn't change anything else at all, that alone would work better than anything DC has ever done.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hammergiant View Post
    Yeah, the thing is, Kyle really wasn't sidelined until Rebirth. Johns gave us back the four GL's and then promptly shoved three of them aside to concentrate exclusively on one. The other three became satellites whirring about in space around the central story point. Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night were very much Hal Jordan stories, with the other guys playing supporting roles.
    I'd call Sinestro Corps War much more a Sinestro story than a Hal story. I think Johns loved Sinestro a lot more than he loved Hal, and Sinestro was Hal's nemesis, not Kyle's or John's, so...

I did like the space stuff a lot more than the Hal stuff on earth. Came out a lot more often too.

Fantastic Member

Have 1 in JL, 1 in GL, and 2 in GLC. You can even have simon show up from time to time. Make GLC the title for the space epics and show how they interact. Use green lantern to tell stories about 1 of the lanterns on earth or in space, rotate who it is about every 3-12 issues. I mean Green Lantern has starred Hal, Kyle, and even Simon at one point. And build up some enemies for the other lanterns, Guy kind of has Atrocitus as an archrival after Red Lanterns.

BANNED

Look the only other group with so many prominent characters running around is Robin.

DC split the fan base 1000x over that is why the GL Fandom is constantly at war. One character cant be elevated without the others being crapped out. John Fans are most vocal because the dichotomy between JL/U and comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Look the only other group with so many prominent characters running around is Robin.

DC split the fan base 1000x over that is why the GL Fandom is constantly at war. One character cant be elevated without the others being crapped out. John Fans are most vocal because the dichotomy between JL/U and comics.
    Each one needs to be given a title as a Green Lantern and a fair chance. If one or two of them tank, then so be it.

Personally, I don't think Hal would finish on top if that were done, and he weren't always getting the biggest push. But that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Each one needs to be given a title as a Green Lantern and a fair chance. If one or two of them tank, then so be it.

Personally, I don't think Hal would finish on top if that were done, and he weren't always getting the biggest push. But that's just my opinion.
    Wasn't the pre-DC You era sort of to that effect, in that each of the four main Lanterns were headlining their own book, if not as GL's exactly? You had Hal in the main book, John in GLC, Guy with the Red Lanterns, and Kyle with New Guardians. You even have Sinestro headlining his own book.

I think that, ideally, would be a good solution to the GL division if not for the Lantern line having to cut down.

I think the Green Lantern line could take a page out of the Batfamily book. I love the idea of having multiple Lantern characters starring in their own books, and I think there's a lot of wasted story potential in consolidating them. But DC would have to do a couple of things to make the whole line viable. First, get an A-list writer for the flagship title. To elevate the franchise, you need a name attached to the book that will convince readers who haven't been subbing to come back. Then diversify the rest of the Lantern books. Hal, John, Kyle, and Guy are all different characters who can carry their own narrative. Don't confine each of them to just one or two attributes. Differentiate them by putting them in different genres tailored to their character, so you have plenty of room to flesh out their personalities without worrying about overlap. Hal is the swashbuckling Silver Age hero, so give him a traditional superhero book. John is more of a thinking man's Lantern, so get him involved in the intricacies and politics of the Green Lantern Corps. Kyle works best when he's at a distance from the rest of the GLC. His current direction as a fish-out-of-the-water hero works for now. Guy Gardner is the one with a few rough edges. Something along the lines of Soule's Red Lanterns run would work for him. And then Simon Baz can be used as a supporting character or an audience surrogate somewhere.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wasn't the pre-DC You era sort of to that effect, in that each of the four main Lanterns were headlining their own book, if not as GL's exactly? You had Hal in the main book, John in GLC, Guy with the Red Lanterns, and Kyle with New Guardians. You even have Sinestro headlining his own book.

I think that, ideally, would be a good solution to the GL division if not for the Lantern line having to cut down.
    But they weren't all GREEN Lanterns, and really, The Red Lanterns and The New Guardians were losing concepts anyway. I say they should really make it equal and not even have a "flagship title" that's called just "Green Lantern." Put Hal on an equal footing with the others and stop telling us he's "the greatest," and let's see what happens then.

And yes, I think Sinestro can carry a title as a GL who is a fugitive from justice, and not leading some army, but first things first.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 09-06-2015 at 06:37 PM.

I don't see whats the point of having green lantern book that takes place on earth, that is just a stupid waste of the concept. Why would a space cop spend all his time on one planet that is already protected by dozens of other superheros? Terrible idea. Why would anyone even read that?
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 09-06-2015 at 07:06 PM.

Incredible Member

The only good Green Lantern story these days isn't even being published by DC. It's being published by IDW.

Star Trek/Green Lantern: The Spectrum War.

It gives GL fans everything they want. A respectful treatment of the property.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    I don't see whats the point of having green lantern take place on earth, that is just a stupid waste of the concept. Why would a space cop spend all his time on one planet that is already protected by dozens of other superheros? bad idea. Why would anyone even read that?
    Because they enjoy a balance of down-to-earth stories and sprawling space/cosmic stories?

Or because they like the heroes supporting cast on Earth and seeing the hero having some normal downtime?

Or maybe some of those villains on Earth are interesting?