Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum View Post
    Trim down the earth GL's. There's too many and its watered down the concept. The one thing I did like about the Kyle days was that the GL ring was "unique". Today, not so much.
    It depends on how you plan to 'trim' them. I'm actually against killing any of them. Last thing the GL fanbase needs is more outrage as one group's favorite Lantern is killed. I think at this time, about the only one you could 'safely' kill would be Baz, and then you'd probably get some media and social media backlash about DC killing one of its only muslim heroes.

Now, Guy made a pretty good red, and if he'd stayed that way I'd be fine with it. Or, god help us, let him get that blue ring they kept hinting at in future peaks and let a good writer have fun with Guy inspiring hope and pissing people off at the same time (It would be like a coach from almost every hollywood football movie ever )

Hal and John's fan groups are very passionate, and I would be very cautious about retiring either of them. Let them be the two GLs of this sector.

Kyle could go back to being the White Lantern. Not everyone likes that, but it would be helluva lot better than killing him off. Frankly, I'd almost suggest letting him have a happy ever after as he quits the ring slinging due to literal emotional exhaustion, goes home, finds a nice girl, gets his art career kicking, and voila bliss! But we all know it would be two years tops until someone at DC decided to put him through #### again or even kill him.

For Simon Baz...seriously, I've no idea. A writer might be able to kill him and if DC could endure the internet backlash, the actual fan base might be tolerant of it, but it sure wouldn't set the best precedent. Maybe a better idea would be to have his ring start to malfuction due to the unnatural way it came about...and fade. No new ring comes to replace it. Then you can decide if Simon just fades into comic limbo quietly or gets a new source of powers and becomes another hero entirely.

But that's just my thoughts on it.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I can see your point. Over at Marvel, Thor has the same problem. However, there's no reason there can't be a balance of the two. That said, it's pretty tough to make that work when you're juggling five different Green Lanterns.
    I actually think trying to find a balance between the two is what has led to the franchise often not being able to reach its full potential. I think it should go for space full bore. That's not saying I would cut Green Lantern out of the Justice League, but really, aside from the League, what is on Earth for Green Lantern? The Shark? Tattooed Man? Goldface? No thanks.

I'm not too interested in seeing any of the Green Lanterns Clark-Kenting on Earth right now. If I want to see that type of thing, I'll just turn to Superman. Green Lantern should work at filling a different niche.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    For better or worse, Kyle got a Corps ring (to that end they slaughtered or implied the Guardians left all the others to die, so Kyle could have the only Corps ring.)
    But the unique solo GL concept was already well established in the more mystical individual Allan Scott.
    Actually belonging to the bigger Corps concept, was the more unique idea amongst DC pantheon.
    In the end Kyle just added yet another redundant Earth Corps member, who wasn't even that unique. The more young and creative, thinking outside the box GL was already established in John Stewart. Maybe if they'd actually made Kyle a woman, it would have been a bold new move, but he was like the 4th white male Earth GL.
    Unique, no.
    And eliminating the bigger Alien Corps concept, for that?
    Kyle is Hispanic not white

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    I always have to take their word for it on that one. It always felt tacked on to me but maybe I'm alone in that.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Extraordinary Member

I think he was White Hispanic,but i think in the new 52 he is not Hispanic anymore.
    Someone mention this in another forum,but maybe someone here could give the details here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    I always have to take their word for it on that one. It always felt tacked on to me but maybe I'm alone in that.
    It's an older method of creating fake diversity without actually having to have diverse characters: just retcon a parent into being Hispanic or half-Hispanic.

Catwoman, Nightwing, and some others got hit with that one too in that era.

Incredible Member

I think it's sort of boring and limiting when all the Green Lanterns of 2814 post-Abin Sur have been American men in their 20's/30's. I think it could benefit the franchise to stop focusing all its attention on the previous characters and introduce some fresh blood.

How bout a teenage kid from China, a middle-aged school teacher from India with a wife and kids at home, or a quadriplegic?
    Last edited by SmokeMonster; 09-07-2015 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    I think it's sort of boring and limiting when all the Green Lanterns of 2814 post-Abin Sur have been American men in their 20's/30's. I think the franchise could use some fresh blood.

How bout a teenage kid from China, a middle-aged school teacher from India with a wife and kids at home, or a quadriplegic? The power comes from the ring after all.
    While that issue is certainly there, I wouldn't create anymore Earth Green Lanterns no matter what. If DC would like to make an attempt at investing females in the franchise more, I think focusing on Arisia would be a good idea. She looks human enough to where I don't think girls would have a problem getting into her. I mean, they don't have a problem with Starfire, who, in my opinion, looks less human than Arisia.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    While that issue is certainly there, I wouldn't create anymore Earth Green Lanterns no matter what. If DC would like to make an attempt at investing females in the franchise more, I think focusing on Arisia would be a good idea. She looks human enough to where I don't think girls would have a problem getting into her. I mean, they don't have a problem with Starfire, who, in my opinion, looks less human than Arisia.
    I think there are a lot of strong female characters in the GL books that DC could push more into bigger roles, from Carol as Star Sapphire, to Arisia, Soranik, and even Power Ring .

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    For Simon Baz...seriously, I've no idea. A writer might be able to kill him and if DC could endure the internet backlash, the actual fan base might be tolerant of it, but it sure wouldn't set the best precedent. Maybe a better idea would be to have his ring start to malfuction due to the unnatural way it came about...and fade. No new ring comes to replace it. Then you can decide if Simon just fades into comic limbo quietly or gets a new source of powers and becomes another hero entirely.
    Once upon a time I thought DC should've capitalized on Simon being the only GL on 2814 to finally do some Earthbound Green Lantern stories and promote him as a character and as a new Green Lantern. Maybe even have him working as a government operative with Agent Fed and often ending up squaring against Hal's old Earth-Rogues, while in his downtime helping out with his family. Simon's sister was pretty cool, I recall.

Then again, considering how much the line was cut down, and how apparently there's not a lot of real interest in seeing a Green Lantern on Earth in a significant way, I doubt it would've been a success .

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    I'd love to see a book focusing on the Lantern women, there's so many great ones that get very little page time. Arisia, Sorankik, Iolande could likely carry a team book, maybe get some women from other Corps in there like Bleez, Carol (or even finally focus on some Sapphires that aren't Carol), Iroque, Lyssa, etc. Maybe even Power Ring. It's a shame Katma Tui, Boodikka and Laira aren't around anymore, I love those three.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    I think he was White Hispanic,but i think in the new 52 he is not Hispanic anymore.
    Someone mention this in another forum,but maybe someone here could give the details here.
    Tom king confirmed that he's hispanic in a recent interview. But I see your point. I don't think it was Justin Jordan's intention to establish him as a minority hero. I believe he retcon it out at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    Carol (or even finally focus on some Sapphires that aren't Carol).
    Or use Carol to focus on other Sapphires and expand on the Corps. ?
    It's a shame Katma Tui, Boodikka and Laira aren't around anymore, I love those three.
    Same here .

?
    First if you look at the post that you actually quoted, I'm talking about when he was introduced, and Kyle Rayner as the name suggests, was created as Irish American character from the get go, the name screams it and the character through his mom only ever identified with that name. Thats what he knew.
    The years later (almost a decade into his run) retcon, that his father was named Vasquez, which has completely been ignored by most everyone since, and has developed pretty meaningless to the character himself, which is what matters. A character who never identified in any way as hispanic/Latino.
    Unless you have some image or dialogue quote where he does. I would LOVE to see it, because I would in fact love to see this character actually identify as such. Otherwise it's meaningless.
    And this is the point you completely missed by your post. You can be hispanic/latino and white.
    One does not negate the other.
    You say Kyle is Hispanic not white!
    WTh does that even mean?
    Hispanic/Latino is not a particular race / skin color, but mostly a cultural/ethnic designation, reflected in name, language, upbringing, culture, identity, etc...
    So it doesn't mater that he's more white, black, native american, etc. what matters is what the character identifies as.
    And the character never took the name Vasquez, maybe if he'd taken (added) the name, but why would he, he's never shown to identified as that. He didn't grow up speaking spanish, or ever shown to learn it, he was never shown to connect culturally in any way.
    So what to you makes him hispanic/latino.
    I'm more interested about what the characters are shown to say about themselves, how they self identify.
    Not the until now still meaningless wiki entry everyone loves to trot out.
    If there is anything else, I'd love to see it.
    The worst thing is if you are using his skin color as your "proof", is laughable.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-07-2015 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Tom king confirmed that he's hispanic in a recent interview. But I see your point. I don't think it was Justin Jordan's intention to establish him as a minority hero. I believe he retcon it out at the time.
    Now that is actually pretty interesting, do you have a link to this interview, any questions or clues as to how he might develop it, for the first time actually have the character self identify in any way as such for once!?
    Which is really what matters, otherwise it's been meaningless until now.
    What is he doing?
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-07-2015 at 05:41 PM.

I don't see Kyle Rayner as a minority character. Just because he had a scene where he's speaking Spanish doesn't mean he isn't White. He was concieved to be White and he's still White in my view. And as mentioned, there are White Hispanic people.