Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Is It Weird Now That Marvel Has More Legacy Characters Than DC?

Hello Big Marvel fan here,with the recent announcement about the new awesome Hulk I thought about the state that Marvel And DC are at right now regarding Legacy characters.

It's no lie DC was always known as a big factor regarding the next generation of heroes,and the present heroes taking over the old guard,from JSA to JLA to The Titans to Young Justice,While marvel was always supposed to be about grounded heroes who lived next to your door and has always disliked the notion of change and aging the characters(spider-man's marriage is a big example).

Now DC had many heroes taking over their predecessors Prior to the new-52 big examples(Wally West,Dick Grayson as Flash and Batman),but now with the new 52 DC mentality is the notion that the heroes are supposed to be young and conflicted and no longer DC has room for Legacy character taking the mantle from Their mentors,while at Marvel a company who has always had a thin room for heros taking over are now at an all time high.

With secret wars end looming and Marvel announces new characters as the new breed, examples such as,x-23 as the new wolverine,a new hulk, and with recent additions such as kamala khan,female thor,captain falcon, miles morales,Sam Alexander,and Robbie Reyes it seems Marvel has fully embraced the Legacy aspect for Their characters.

Im a big fan of the idea of heroes replacing their predecessors and I'm looking forward to see what marvel has planned for us,so what do you think about Marvel's new direction about Legacy characters and do you think DC should return that aspect to Their comics as well?.

Eh, Kamala's legacy status is arguable.

But on a serious note, while I can understand some people's frustrations, to me that shows how Marvel is attempting to break the mold by really showcasing how much of an impact the old guard has. "Replacing" is a bit of a strong word though for some of them, since Carol Danvers, Odinson, Steve Rogers and Peter Parker are not dead.
    Last edited by Xalfrea; 09-06-2015 at 08:41 AM.

I wouldn't say "weird" so much as funny, and kind of sad.

I've always loved DC's legacy heroes, and the way they trashed most of them with the New 52 majorly soured me on DC in general. I think it's great that Marvel is really investing in legacy heroes now.

BANNED

But on a serious note, while I can understand some people's frustrations, to me that shows how Marvel is attempting to break the mold by really showcasing how much of an impact the old guard has. "Replacing" is a bit of a strong word though for some of them, since Carol Danvers, Odinson, Steve Rogers and Peter Parker are not dead.

Yes of course but they are carrying their names and I didn't mean it as taking over peter and carol while them retiring but just as their eventual replacements(although it's pretty obvious that cap and thor will return to normal eventually).

But Peter and Carol are not being replaced.

Peter is still Spider-Man, he's just taking himself much more globally now. Carol deliberately took up the Captain Marvel mantle, possibly to honor Mar-Vell. Heck, Carol herself has no issues with Kamala taking the name when they finally met in Ms. Marvel #17.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post

Oh? Did the real thor return after the beyonder fight?
    Is steve rogers and old man? Or do we even know whats happening to him after battle world? I'm really not sure what with the weird secret wars thing.
    "Replacing" them is the best word but I think we could say "Replacing them in the spotlight".
    Now that I've said that once... You know what people mean when they say "replacing".

That being said, I'm NOT a fan of legacy characters when its a direct to name port.
    X-23 is the best there is at what she does? Ugh*

You can have legacy, like Sunspots Avengers, hickman was brilliant on that point. Doing it the way they are is really lowballing, cause essentially they don't believe Amadeus cho is a believable franchise.
    Which it really might be honestly, be a while before we can find out though.

There are ample teen teams/young adult teams that you could take the most interseting(ymmv)/and strongest, and make them an avengers team. It would sell, if you put the right marketing and creative teams with it. Its just lazy this way, lazy and many would argue more often than not simple pandering.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Well, Miles is only a legacy in the Ultimate Universe, because in the 616, Peter is still alive and is still Spider-Man.

And i think that Carol is more legacy than Kamala.

BANNED

But Peter and Carol are not being replaced.
    well I didnt say right now but with marvel new approach to their young heroes I could see them taking over,maybe 20,30 years?

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    well I didnt say right now but with marvel new approach to their young heroes I could see them taking over,maybe 20,30 years?
    For Carol, that could be a possibility. But given her movie coming up, it's unlikely.

But Peter Parker? That'll NEVER happen for 616 Peter Parker, the guy synonymous with Spider-Man. Remember what happened the last few times they tried to replace Peter? Those definitely went over well.

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    Well, that's little too far into the future, dont you think ?.

BANNED

For Carol, that could be a possibility. But given her movie coming up, it's unlikely.

But Peter Parker? That'll NEVER happen for 616 Peter Parker, the guy synonymous with Spider-Man. Remember what happened the last few times they tried to replace Peter? Those definitely went over well.
    Yes poor BEN

But it really feels like Marvel are marketing miles as the next big hero especially with them saying that miles is the spiderman of this generation and putting him on the premiere avengers book so you never know(but I agree with you about peter).

Well, that's little too far into the future, dont you think ?.
    I'm always looking forward to what's next in the next couple of years I believe it's good to plan ahead even 20 years from now.
    Last edited by LP22; 09-06-2015 at 09:32 AM.

It depends on how you look at it. I'd absolutely call Kamala a legacy. Carol didn't die or anything but Kamala is still using the name, Carol's old costume emblem, and they made a point of having the two meet (and presumably Carol is going to give Kamala her blessing).

The scenario is different because Carol simply moved on to another name instead of dying or retiring, but I'd say Kamala still counts. Miles is another unorthodox one since he isn't replacing 616 Peter but he's still a legacy, if only in his home dimension.

Actually that is the interesting thing just how many of the current gen Marvel legacies are non traditional in that regard. The only one I can think of who is actually stepping in for a dead or retired hero is Wolverine.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

The only one I can think of who is actually stepping in for a dead or retired hero is Wolverine.
    Uhmm... the Falcon? Or am I misunderstanding you?
    I have another general question also, was there this same backlash and pushback when Bucky became cap for a while?

Or was it much less because people were sure it was temporary?
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Steve isn't dead or retired. He's even part of the Uncanny Avengers.

As far as I know he isn't going by the name Cap anymore but he's still active in the MU.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    I have another general question also, was there this same backlash and pushback when Bucky became cap for a while?

Or was it much less because people were sure it was temporary?
    Steve is not dead, just old.