Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Personally I think that this "wave" of legacy heroes is a piss poor way of diversifying the line-up without changing the merchandise on the shelves.

I'd much rather see Falcon toys than Cap toys that are for "all people" as if Captain America is now this distinctly whites only character. I'd rather see Black Widow leading the Avengers than a guy who changed his laundry. I'd rather see Monica Rambeau and Sif than Lady Thor on the Avengers...especially since Odinson is STILL AROUND and has no reason not to be An Avenger.

Diversity needs to have integrity, or it doesn't stick.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tracksuitdraculabro View Post
    Personally I think that this "wave" of legacy heroes is a piss poor way of diversifying the line-up without changing the merchandise on the shelves.

I'd much rather see Falcon toys than Cap toys that are for "all people" as if Captain America is now this distinctly whites only character. I'd rather see Black Widow leading the Avengers than a guy who changed his laundry. I'd rather see Monica Rambeau and Sif than Lady Thor on the Avengers...especially since Odinson is STILL AROUND and has no reason not to be An Avenger.

Diversity needs to have integrity, or it doesn't stick.
    I second this idea claim as I would love to see Monica representing the Avengers again.

Monica was representing the Avengers just a couple months ago, and aren't the Ultimates the Avengers in everything but name? They're certainly being presented as Earth's mightiest heroes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    there need to be legacy heroes created for the older, forgotten, obscure folks, especially those who were originally Golden Age characters. Where's the Phantom Reporter now?
    Why should every half-baked idea some writer ever had that wasn't even that good at the time have a 21st century knock-off?

Mid-90s-to-early 00s DC (so, basically the Mike Carlin years) was my favorite era of post-Crisis DC, partly because all the legacy characters flying around made it feel like time was passing and life was moving forward in the DCU. It also helped that a lot of those books had great creators working on them. I love it when the status quo gets shaken up. If we get that same vibe with ANAD Marvel, this could be awesome. I'm really looking forward to this relaunch.
    Last edited by areacode212; 09-08-2015 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    what about Ka-Zar, Jim Hammond & Namor who's been around forever but have'nt really had any successors?
    Human Torch could be considered a legacy character, due to Johnny Storm assuming the name. I don't know enough about the other two to say.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Incredible Member idisestablish's Avatar

If Sam Alexander is legacy since he is a Nova, then all of the thousands of Green Lanterns are legacy characters. If you argue that only the human Green Lanterns are legacy, then Kamala couldn't be Carol's legacy character unless different rules apply to members of intergalactic organizations or that human/Kree to human/Inhuman close enough. Of course, Nova and Green Lantern are really just a title. Is Maria Hill a Nick Fury legacy, since they're both Director of SHIELD? Either way, this is just a long way to illustrate that a lot of this comes down to opinion.

I don't really see these as legacy characters. They just seem like short lived gimmicks to boost sales. None of them were groomed to be successors or logically seemed like they ever would be (X-23 is an exception for me, she's a legit legacy character if they stick with it. Also Miles will be if Spidey ever eats it.)
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by idisestablish View Post
    If Sam Alexander is legacy since he is a Nova, then all of the thousands of Green Lanterns are legacy characters. If you argue that only the human Green Lanterns are legacy, then Kamala couldn't be Carol's legacy character unless different rules apply to members of intergalactic organizations or that human/Kree to human/Inhuman close enough. Of course, Nova and Green Lantern are really just a title. Is Maria Hill a Nick Fury legacy, since they're both Director of SHIELD? Either way, this is just a long way to illustrate that a lot of this comes down to opinion.
    I would say that no Green Lantern Corps member or Nova Corps member (or other member of a paramilitary organisation) counts as a legacy.
    Unles it's literally something like a son following in his actual father's footsteps, like with the two Nick Furies (but that is in the real-world definition of legacy, not the superhero definition).

Kamala is a Carol Danvers fangirl who decided to dress up as her idol and fight crime. Textbook legacy.

Boisterously Confused

If there're two things Marvel should have learned from watching DC, they are that:
    1) Legacy characters confuse your brand.
    2) Legacy characters divide your fan base.

Outside Elseworlds, Earth 2s, or What Ifs, they are a Bad Idea.