Thread: Princess Ugg

BANNED

Default Princess Ugg

This is a fun first issue. We get to see Ulg, her kingdom, the lower kingdoms and a lot of action. Any girl who has a pet elephant is off to a good start.

I just finished reading the first issue and all I can say is WOW! I absolutely loved it. I really enjoy fun light hearted comics like this and Rat Queens. I'm so glad I have this on my pull list, now I can't wait for the next issue. Really fun story and amazing art from Ted Naifeh. I'll have to go search for his other work Courtney Crumrin if it's anything as good as this.

Seriously, I'm blown away. I loved everything about this issue and I'm so excited that I a new favorite comic to look forward to every month. I'm giving the this issue a perfect score of 10/10. Gigantic thumbs up.

BANNED

The art is good. Any idea how old these characters are? Ulg at first looked about 10 or 12, but she looks too grown up in the bathing scene to be that young, in that she looks well into her teens, about the same age as Julifer. Is she just short? Have to give it to Naifeh's in that Ulg looks like she's worked out in a hard environment all her life. Had to love that last panel.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

What fun!!!

And yes, I agree with Groo Odd (above) that Rat Queens lovers will very likely like this one too!

But, Ah what’s in a name? If Grimmeria be grim, is it frescos ultra-attractive in Altraesca? And Astoria! *Queen* Astoria! At last, no longer Earth-pig bound: Queen! Julifer, Lucyfer’s sister?

Edgykayshun always made me edgy, too. I myself prefer pages ten and eleven, as some of the best Ted Naifeh’s created. To each one’s own. I’d like to own them, in fact, should Ted ever decide to part with them.

This looks to be some great fun. Ulga isn’t as instantly intriguing as Courtney Crumrin, and has the smart-and-feisty personality fun to watch, but often played. Expecting her to develop individuality within next issue; hoping, too, to be surprised by the Ulga/Julifer relationship, rather than see it follow the customary path of bickering roomies who eventually reconcile. Glad Odin’s narration was dropped once Ulga and Snorri reached Altraesca. Not a fan of narrators.

Really like the coloring outside the windows of the ‘dorm room’, indicative of the work throughout, subtle and attractive.

Here's hoping this one takes off and reaches the wide audience I think it deserves!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The art is good. Any idea how old these characters are? Ulg at first looked about 10 or 12, but she looks too grown up in the bathing scene to be that young, in that she looks well into her teens, about the same age as Julifer. Is she just short? Have to give it to Naifeh's in that Ulg looks like she's worked out in a hard environment all her life. Had to love that last panel.
    I think she's meant to be in her mid teens, 16 perhaps. Pretty sure she's has a body type similar to that of wolverine, short and stocky just the way Ted Naifeh wanted to portray.

I just noticed that all my favorite comics right now, the very top of my list are all titles with female leads and they come in all body shapes and sizes. Rat Queens, Princess Ugg, Saga, Sheltered. Pretty sure I'm adding Courtney Crumrin to that list as well.

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

That was a great first book to get things going. Sure, a barbarian princess sent to an elite princess school seems pretty predictable, but already there is hints of variables that can come into play. We have the captain of the guard, the teacher that prods the sophisticated brat, and Ugg's mom going against her father. Ted Naifeh can work his magic with this. Plus, Ugg is going to be a crack up. I am really pumped about this new book.

BANNED

By the way do we know if Ulg's mother and father are still alive? I got the feeling from her talk with Odin that they were dead.

BANNED

I like them to follow the Buffy/Cordelia theme. By the end of the series Cordy was still Cordy but she'd grown some.

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    What fun!!!

And yes, I agree with Groo Odd (above) that Rat Queens lovers will very likely like this one too!

But, Ah what’s in a name? If Grimmeria be grim, is it frescos ultra-attractive in Altraesca? And Astoria! *Queen* Astoria! At last, no longer Earth-pig bound: Queen! Julifer, Lucyfer’s sister?

Edgykayshun always made me edgy, too. I myself prefer pages ten and eleven, as some of the best Ted Naifeh’s created. To each one’s own. I’d like to own them, in fact, should Ted ever decide to part with them.

This looks to be some great fun. Ulga isn’t as instantly intriguing as Courtney Crumrin, and has the smart-and-feisty personality fun to watch, but often played. Expecting her to develop individuality within next issue; hoping, too, to be surprised by the Ulga/Julifer relationship, rather than see it follow the customary path of bickering roomies who eventually reconcile. Glad Odin’s narration was dropped once Ulga and Snorri reached Altraesca. Not a fan of narrators.

Really like the coloring outside the windows of the ‘dorm room’, indicative of the work throughout, subtle and attractive.

Here's hoping this one takes off and reaches the wide audience I think it deserves!

Was at another comic shop today and saw a variant cover for Princess Ugg, nice! I had to pick it up. This is my first comic where I felt totally compelled to pick up a variant cover just because I love it so much. So happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    By the way do we know if Ulg's mother and father are still alive? I got the feeling from her talk with Odin that they were dead.
    I think Ted left this open ended. I'd assume they were dead but it was never explained so we never know. I'm intrigued by the Ulga/Julifer relationship and can't wait to see where this goes. I'm confident that Ted is going to give us something that's really great, I'm a big fan now. That last page was so good

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    I think Ted left this open ended. I'd assume they were dead but it was never explained so we never know. I'm intrigued by the Ulga/Julifer relationship and can't wait to see where this goes. I'm confident that Ted is going to give us something that's really great, I'm a big fan now. That last page was so good
    Huh, the way I read it was that the old man was the King/her father, and that the eagle was Odin. Ulga's mother died a bit back, possibly trying to bring some knowledge to the kingdom.

I think what I like best is the fact Ulga is, despite her trappings, not a barbarian. She spends the majority of the book well-mannered, and only lost her temper after being attacked and harrassed (while she was trying to find a good place to park her mammoth). And still showed restraint and reasoning then. It does seem interesting in how it might develop.
    ---

Sincerely,

Melchior, the Geddon Knight