Astonishing Member

Default "The Flash by Grant Morrison & Mark Millar" due for release April 2016. (Flash #130-#138)

Interesting.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...inginthegut-21

I've enjoyed Morrison's take on Batman, Superman and the JLA - and his collaborations with Millar on "Aztek" - and I'm looking forward to his Wonder Woman very much. But this doesn't get talked about a lot. Any good?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I saw this being advertised and was wondering the same.

BANNED

The Morrison bits are as awesome as can be expected. The Millar bits were crap.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I'm glad they're doing this for the fans who don't have the issues already
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Didn't they put these out in two trades only a few years back?

It's okay stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Didn't they put these out in two trades only a few years back?
    Yeah. Emergency Stop and The Human Race.
    BB

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

No, it's not very good. There's a good single issue featuring Jay Garrick, but most of them are interesting ideas that never quite get fleshed out to their fullest.

Always Rakzo

I have expressed my feelings about this particular era many times already but let's do it again.

This was not only a disappointment considering the creative team but also one of the most underwhelming runs on the character. You need to take into consideration that this was around the time when basically everything that Morrison touched turned into gold and Millar was a rising star before going all shock value so having such a mediocre job as result it was a quite dull surprise.

The stories from this particular collaboration were not memorable at all with concepts that never managed to catch on or be interesting enough. In fact, the most memorable and long-lasting effect for the series was written by Millar alone (The Black Flash) which makes me think that Morrison is not really a good fit for The Flash franchise due that he usually tends to put more emphasis on his themes than characterization and characterization is a staple in The Flash.

This actually makes me wonder though, has William Messner-Loebs' run been collected? That's the work that deserves it the most.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    This actually makes me wonder though, has William Messner-Loebs' run been collected? That's the work that deserves it the most.
    No, and it really should be collected. Even more than a new printing of the Waid run.

This was not only a disappointment considering the creative team but also one of the most underwhelming runs on the character. You need to take into consideration that this was around the time when basically everything that Morrison touched turned into gold and Millar was a rising star before going all shock value so having such a mediocre job as result it was a quite dull surprise.
    None of Millar and Morrison's collabs are as good as their solo work so this case isn't particularly surprising.

It's on comixology, though.
    BB

Spectacular Member Lake Nowhere's Avatar

Morrison is not really a good fit for The Flash franchise due that he usually tends to put more emphasis on his themes than characterization and characterization is a staple in The Flash.
    Morrison never gets the credit he deserves for his character work, maybe because he blends it so seamlessly into the storytelling, and doesn't hit you over the head with it like Johns. But yeah, all the Morrison/Millar collaborations have been disappointing for some reason. Still tempted to pick this book up though, even though I would rather they get to cranking out hardcovers of Waid's run.