Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Question: What's the difference between Action Comics, Vol. 1: Superman and the Men of Steel and World Against Superman? Do they both just collect the first bit of Morrison's Action run?
    World Against has 10 issues instead of eight, arranged in a different order. Which works because it is a nonlinear story.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    World Against has 10 issues instead of eight, arranged in a different order. Which works because it is a nonlinear story.
    So, is it less confusing than Men of Steel? Because that was...not great.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    I think we can consider the Tomasi/Gleason/Jurgens run an essential recommendation, right?
    I think we can probably consider it essential reading for the current version. Whether it stands the test of time, whether Jon sticks around longer than some of the other "kids" who've come and gone.....time will tell on that.

I'd recommend the first year or so of Tomasi just because it was a real solid read until the Manchester Black stuff ended, but I dunno if it should be classified as "essential" yet.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Are there any supplemental or books I need to read before Superman Last son?
    No, you can jump into that without any build up. In fact, I think it actually works better as a stand-alone story.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post
    Just finished All-Star Superman as my first Superman solo book and loved it. What would be the logical next read? Doesn’t necessarily have to be Morrison’s AC run.
    I'd agree with American Alien. Whoever described it as "All-Star Clark Kent" was pretty spot on with that. Solid read, interesting take on Clark and Superman. Definitely worth checking out.

You also can't go wrong with the OG. The original, Golden Age stories are collected in a dozen different trades, shouldn't be hard to get ahold of. It's raw, real, and completely 100% different from the Superman we have today. Honestly, the first year or so of Golden Age Action stories are among my very, absolute favorites. It's just full of so much unrefined energy, and this was before Superman became a corporate icon, so the narratives dive into some stuff you never see anymore. Really interesting stuff.

BUT.....if you want to read a really weird take on Superman's whole life, check out Morrison's work. It's spread across different continuities, but Morrison writes it all like it's basically just one guy. The details dont line up, but its a pretty fascinating way to look at the character's journey.

You start with Morrison's Action Comics run, which gives you the origin and early years, then his JLA, making sure to read DC 1 Million when the narrative gets there, which basically covers the peek of his career. Then it ends with All-Star, which you've already read.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I know it's been mentioned before but I want the following stories more widely known and reprinted soon!: Superman 296 to 300. I think they are all Elliot S! Maggin, Cary Bates, and Curt Swan. I can't believe how much of this stuff is never re-printed. The fans will fade out soon won't they?

Whats a better get: Whatever Happened by Moore or Death of Superman?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Whats a better get: Whatever Happened by Moore or Death of Superman?
    Whatever Happened is a much more self-contained story, you need nothing besides a basic understanding of who Superman. Death is basically one giant fight scene between Doomsday and Supes. Of the two Whatever Happened has more “meat” to it so I’d recommend that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Whatever Happened is a much more self-contained story, you need nothing besides a basic understanding of who Superman. Death is basically one giant fight scene between Doomsday and Supes. Of the two Whatever Happened has more “meat” to it so I’d recommend that.
    Thank you.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

So only the first issue (out of 3) is out but right now I'm gonna throw "Superman Smashes the Klan" into the ring.

It's an adaptation of a story that ran in the 40's radio serial. It's set in the 40's, where a stand-in for the KKK tries to run a Chinese family out of Metropolis. Written by Gene Luen Yang.

It's a fantastic version of Golden Age Superman. It felt very much like a contemporary version of Fleischer, straight down to the red-on-black, yellow border "S" shield. It's fun and straightforward but has surprising, effortless depth and insight. It shows us, rather than tells us, who these people are.

If this 3 issue series remains as good as this first one, I might have to rank it up there with All-Star. As different as those two tales are, Smash feels like it might just be as definitive a story.

~ Black Panther.

supsonwheels

Sorry to just jump in with a question but I'm in need of help and I'm sure you all can help me with it, based on what I've been reading. I'm looking for volumes, trade paperback, and graphic novels only. My son is asking for a book where all the different Supermans of the multiverse battle each other and for updated versions where they battle the crime syndicate. I recently bought him Dark Nights: Metal, Dark Nights Rising, & The Resistance and he wants something similar to those but with Superman and the multiverse and "dark" multiverse. I admit a lot of this is hard for me to follow, especially when you talk about single issues and reading order. Here's a list of what he's read thus far that is Superman related:
    Injustice: Gods Among Us Years 1-5 Complete Collections, Injustice 2 Vol. 1-6, Injustice: Ground Zero Vol. 1 &.2, Injustice vs Masters of the Universe, Superman Unchained: Deluxe Edition, Superman: Red Son, All-Star Superman, Luthor (DC Black), Superman Vol. 1 What Price Tomorrow? Vol. 2 Secrets & Lies, Vol. 3 Fury At World's End (New 52) and he really liked DCeased.
    Also, is there anything where Superman and Shazam battle it out? He'd really like modern material. Nothing too far back, unless it's really good and takes you down a wild multiverse or crazy apocalypse storyline. Volume reading order would be of great help too!

Thanks!

Do I need to get any books before getiing the Superfamily in Superman Rebirth?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Default Sorry I miss this sticky

New 52 Justice league #52 and the trades for Final Days of Superman and Lois and Clark should really cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by supsonwheels View Post
    Sorry to just jump in with a question but I'm in need of help and I'm sure you all can help me with it, based on what I've been reading. I'm looking for volumes, trade paperback, and graphic novels only. My son is asking for a book where all the different Supermans of the multiverse battle each other and for updated versions where they battle the crime syndicate. I recently bought him Dark Nights: Metal, Dark Nights Rising, & The Resistance and he wants something similar to those but with Superman and the multiverse and "dark" multiverse. I admit a lot of this is hard for me to follow, especially when you talk about single issues and reading order. Here's a list of what he's read thus far that is Superman related:
    Injustice: Gods Among Us Years 1-5 Complete Collections, Injustice 2 Vol. 1-6, Injustice: Ground Zero Vol. 1 &.2, Injustice vs Masters of the Universe, Superman Unchained: Deluxe Edition, Superman: Red Son, All-Star Superman, Luthor (DC Black), Superman Vol. 1 What Price Tomorrow? Vol. 2 Secrets & Lies, Vol. 3 Fury At World's End (New 52) and he really liked DCeased.
    Also, is there anything where Superman and Shazam battle it out? He'd really like modern material. Nothing too far back, unless it's really good and takes you down a wild multiverse or crazy apocalypse storyline. Volume reading order would be of great help too!

Thanks!
    Morrison's Earth 2 (which has a great adaptation in animation called Crisis on Two Earths), Superman and Shazam: First Thunder, Final Crisis, and Darkseid War (1 and 2) would be the best starts I think
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Oh, Darkseid War wouldn't be a bad choice either for supsonwheels.

Do I need to get any books before getiing the Superfamily in Superman Rebirth?
    No, you can jump into the book pretty clean. You might want to check out Final Days of Superman and the Lois & Clark series (12 issues) but I don't think you *need* to. That's a lot of reading just to establish some basic ideas that the Rebirth run will tell you about anyway. I'd start with Rebirth, and if you enjoy it and want to find out how we got to that status quo, then you can go back and read Final Days and L&C, but I don't think you need to. Rebirth will give you enough exposition to get you started.

~ Black Panther.

Now that the third and final issue of Superman Smashes the Klan is out, I'm just saying that yes, this book is essential reading. Not just for Golden Age fans, but for Superman fans. Or hell, it should just be required reading if you're a human being. By far one of the best Superman stories I've had the pleasure of reading.

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I really enjoyed the first issue of Superman Smashes the Klan! I just read the Adventures of Superman by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez Volume 2. I pretty much dropped everything as it had stories from post crisis on. There is a couple of great Bronze Age Stories and a trove of Elseworlds that I had never read. The big surprise is the cover gallery. I think every Superman comic Garcia Lopez is connected with is a joy to read. Absolutely loved the Action Comics 1000 story. He reminds me of Bryan Hitch but the style is much more cartoony and expressive. Gorgeous gorgeous comics! Also a must read for Superman fans. The All Star Comics Book "Only Legends Live Forever". There's not too much Superman but the Wally Wood stuff is pure iconic Golden Age Superman. The debut of Powergirl is just as terrific as when I first read it way back when.