Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    How are the other volumes of Man of Steel? I read the first volume, which is the mini, and it seems like the rest of it are when Byrne took over the normal books.
    The first 50 issues of Man of Steel is written by Walter/Louise Simonson....yeah they're pretty good Superman writers.

Superman, just like any long-running character, has many "unknown" or "underrated" stories.

One of my pet peeves is when people undermine Superman's intelligence, that's just a big dumb brute.

Which is one of my favorite stories is "The Most Dangerous Door in the World", where he outsmarts Lex Luthor and makes him look like a complete fool.

Superman_v.1_213.jpg

Pre-Crisis Supes is just the best.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

One I haven't seen listed that I feel is both a great Superman story and a great introduction to the wider DCU is Time and Time Again. Very interesting time travel story with a great central gimmick-- Superman can only reach another time through a massive explosion. I'd rank it ahead of Exile and Panic in the Sky, but it's part of that (very good) Superman era.

Amazing Member

Superman #247 is kind've a classic Superman story. Bronze Age melodrama at its best.

Steranko's pictographic Exile at the Edge of Eternity in Superman #400 alone is pretty great but pin-ups by Bolland, Moebius, Ditko and Sienkiewicz and some beautiful vintage Miller and Williamson in there. Late Pre-Crisis goodness.

Action #544 is a classic Lex-Braniac one-two punch but also debuts Lex's Power Suit and Braniac gets his Super Powers toyline look. Great Gil Kane art. Oh you 80s.

Call me crazy but Roger Stern and Tom Grummett's 1991 Armageddon 2001 tie-in Action Annual #3 is one of my all-time favorite Superman one-and-dones. In this election season, it's always fun to read those What If Superman became president?... stories. Love that Gibbons cover.

DC Comics Presents Annual #1 captures the quintessence of Superman for the first meeting of Superman and Golden Age Superman to address a threat of multiversal proportions. Thomas' Secret Origins #1 is a nice companion. It's interesting to observe at that time how different the OG Superman had become after just 50 years.

Mark Millar run on Superman Adventures.

skype vladimir_tango vladimir_tango's Avatar

What do you advise to read about the adventures of Superman's parents on Krypton?
    Last edited by vladimir_tango; 01-01-2016 at 05:30 PM.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vladimir_tango View Post
    What do you advise to read about the adventures of Superman's parents on Krypton?
    There were a bunch of older comics focusing somewhat on them for parts of an issue, but as far as modern approaches go, the only major work I know of is Kevin Anderson's novel The Last Days of Krypton. It was fine.
    Buh-bye

inkydextruss

I am a big fan of SuperMan. Never understood how a mortal man, could defeat a super being? Even though they could possess Kryptonite, in no way is it
    believable that Batman could beat Superman! Really?!

Most of the stuff I love is Pre-Crisis, but I loved Superman and the Legion of Superheroes.

Kryptonite Nevermore stands as a definitive storyline. You can read it all at 'Superman Through The Ages" website as well.

Also if you like silly little stories: Action Comics 484 followed by the Mr. and Mrs. Superman series from Superman Family.

Hi all,
    I agree with all recommendations so far, so am going to just throw a few titles out there I haven't seen yet:
    Superman Unchained by Scott Snyder and Jim Lee. You mentioned that you're up the New 52 run, so you may have this covered. This was surprisingly good IMO. The characterization and pacing were done really well and the art was phenomenal. Of course it was. Jim Lee.

Another is the current run by Tomasi and Gleason. The recent Superman Reborn storyline was amazing and, I think, destined to join the list of All-Time Best already. So nice to see Superman get the talent and attention he deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    The first 50 issues of Man of Steel is written by Walter/Louise Simonson....yeah they're pretty good Superman writers.

Superman, just like any long-running character, has many "unknown" or "underrated" stories.

One of my pet peeves is when people undermine Superman's intelligence, that's just a big dumb brute.

Which is one of my favorite stories is "The Most Dangerous Door in the World", where he outsmarts Lex Luthor and makes him look like a complete fool.

Superman_v.1_213.jpg

Pre-Crisis Supes is just the best.
    Agreed! Growing up I was always just so impressed with all the ways he figured out to make Mr. Myxzptlk say his name backwards. Superman is a sharp block o cheddar.

Spectacular Member

On this topic, has anyone done a Superman Chronology, like the Batman Chronology project? I used the latter to piece together a pretty great (and mostly cohesive, if you squint a bit) history of Batman stories, and I wondered if someone had done something similar for Big Blue?
    I'm on Twitter! @alex_jamieson

I did a small version of this in that I took everything in my personal collection of Superman stories (incl other titles like Justice League) and put them all in chronological order. I would love to see something like what you're describing tho. Sounds amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolfan View Post
    Try these:
    Superman/arkham
    Emperor Joker
    Camelot falls
    Panic In the Skies
    Superman adventures #11and 12

Precrisis: Kryptonite Nevermore

In fact, if you can find them precrisis superman from #131 to 150 are really good reads, if you like that style of storytelling.
    All of them are collected if you want to read them in that format.
    What did you like in panic in the skies and Superman / Arkham?

I've read

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow
    Man of Steel
    The Death of Superman
    For Tomorrow
    Morrison's Action Comics
    All-Star Superman
    Red Son
    Kingdom Come
    and a bunch of Action/Superman/Justice League issues.

If anyone could recommend only one or two at the most books, that would be great! What are the ones that make you say "You haven't read ________! AND YOU CALL YOURSELF A FAN?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Kord View Post
    If anyone could recommend only one or two at the most books, that would be great! What are the ones that make you say "You haven't read ________! AND YOU CALL YOURSELF A FAN?!"
    If you've read Death of Superman then you really want to read The Return of Superman which is far superior. (Some people liked World Without a Superman which comes in-between, but I didn't).

If I can only pick one more then Secret Identity