Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think Final Crisis, JLA 1,000,000, and Kurt Busiek's Camelot Falls could be added. I also like Geoff Johns Men of Tomorrow, Superman Unchained, and H'El on Earth. But mileage varies.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I know there are a few Young Animal fans on the Superman site and I would recommend they check out "The Superman Madman Hullabaloo" from 1998 by Mike Allred. Allred teams his signature character Madman in a cross dimensional adventure with Superman. The characters literally crossover and fuse into two separate beings sharing powers and personalities. They have to track down the rest of Superman's powers. Some of which are possessed by Madman's nemesis, a group of mutant beatniks.

Madman was part of a newly popular underground comics movement in the 1990s. There are lots of references to retro and kitsch culture. If you ever wondered what it would be like for Steve Buscemi's Mr. Pink from Reservoir Dogs to get Superman's powers and take on the Man of Steel, this is your book! Allred's art is natural fit for Superman, and his variations on the Supersuit are sharp. Allred's Madman is of course well worth checking out. I want a Superman book under the Young Animal imprint by Mike Allred and Chris Roberson.

Not sure if there is a FAQ thread for Supes, maybe I missed it but this could count as a recommendation since I'll end up buying the book that answers my question. So I read Death of Superman years ago (still haven't got around to Reign of the Supermen or Return of Superman). Read it again recently and was surprised to remember they never got into Doomsday's origin in the book. Where could I find Doomsday's origin? Is it in Reign or Return? Or something else entirely?

Also, wouldn't it be cool if a site like comicvine had little links to specific issues different stuff took place in? A lot of the time I read stuff and I really want to get the issue it takes place in, but I have to come here to ask sometimes.

This is from Doomsday's Comicvine page

One of Doomsday's first encounters was with Darkseid on a world called Bylan 5. Darkseid was seeking resources to better Apokolips. When Doomsday crash landed, he was attacked by Master Mayhem, long time friend and ally to Darkseid. Darkseid had assumed that Mayhem was unkillable, until Doomsday tore him limb from limb. Darkseid then challenged the beast in hand to hand combat.
    I want to read that issue. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a little asterisk you could click that would take you directly to that issue? Then you can go buy it.

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Doomsdays origin actually came later in a series of minis written by Dan Jurgens himself. I believe they're collected in a trade paperback called Superman : Doomsday which I believe was recently re-released with reprinted edition.
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Thrasher View Post
    Doomsdays origin actually came later in a series of minis written by Dan Jurgens himself. I believe they're collected in a trade paperback called Superman : Doomsday which I believe was recently re-released with reprinted edition.
    Sounds good. Do you know if the Darkseid stuff is in there?

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    Sounds good. Do you know if the Darkseid stuff is in there?
    Yes it is. It's in Superman/Doomsday : Hunter/Prey #s 1 - 3 , which are collected in the aforementioned Superman: Doomsday Trade paperback.
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

So I wasn't reading comics when Superman Unchained came out. I'm a Snyder fan and a Jim Lee fan but I never hear anyone talk about this book. Is it any good?

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

So I wasn't reading comics when Superman Unchained came out. I'm a Snyder fan and a Jim Lee fan but I never hear anyone talk about this book. Is it any good?
    You will have a different answer depending on who you ask. Imo, it's good if you're a Lois Lane fan, Luthor fan or Bat-fan, not so much for a Superman fan. I don't like the point about Superman that Snyder tries to make in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    You will have a different answer depending on who you ask. Imo, it's good if you're a Lois Lane fan, Luthor fan or Bat-fan, not so much for a Superman fan. I don't like the point about Superman that Snyder tries to make in the story.
    What's it come across as?

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

What's it come across as?
    The writing and art are good but nothing exceptional. Try reading it if you want, maybe you may like it.

I have to admit I never finished Unchained, but the first few issues (I forget where I dropped out) make the mistake a lot of writers make with Clark; treating him as ignorant of his own abilities, responsibilities, and limits. Or at the least, having other people have a greater understanding of those things than Clark himself, and Snyder does this with yet another evil Superman proxy (something we get so often it's become a buzz kill for many fans).

Lois is written incredibly well. I'd actually love to see Snyder try his hand at a Lois-centric book/story. Lex is handled well. Clark however, has far too much "MAN" and not nearly enough "SUPER" to make him feel like the Man of Tomorrow.

There's good stuff in the story, no doubt. But Snyder, like many of DC's writers, seems to miss the point of Superman and where his appeal lies. Still, while it's not the most popular story here on CBR it did sell well so you might enjoy it. If you have the chance, go ahead and give it a shot. Even if you dislike it, it might enrich your knowledge and understanding of the character, if only by showing you things that shouldn't be part of the character's makeup.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

What volumes of n52 Superman do n52 superman fans tend to like?

If you're talking New52 fans specifically, its almost universally Grant Morrison's first Action trade. I think its called City of Tomorrow or something? The entire run is popular but the first trade especially. The whole run revisits the Golden Age sensibilities in a modern context and then shifts into Silver Age hi-fi, delving into how Clark himself makes that transition in his world view, and ends with the typical Morrison style mind-trip finale that you have to read six times to truly appreciate.

Greg Pak's Action Comics, when not involved in a crossover, also gets a lot of love. I have no idea what issue numbers or trades you'd want but Google will show you the way to enlightenment. Also, Pak's stand-alone issue #39 (I think its 39) gets a whole lot of love for being one of the best Bizarro stories in recent memory.

Pak's Batman-Superman gets solid praise.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Any stories like For All Seasons? I love the feel and art of that book.