Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Just finished All-Star Superman as my first Superman solo book and loved it. What would be the logical next read? Doesn’t necessarily have to be Morrison’s AC run.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post
    Just finished All-Star Superman as my first Superman solo book and loved it. What would be the logical next read? Doesn’t necessarily have to be Morrison’s AC run.
    I would say for a look at the other side of the coin, read "American Alien" by Max Landis. It's All Star Clark Kent and a nice compliment to All Star Superman.
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 12-16-2017 at 07:06 PM.

All-New Member

Personally I loved the first two arcs of Superman in Rebirth. Son of Superman and Trials of the Super Son. Superman has to evolve into a Pa Kent type role and Jonathan Kent (his son) is such a delight to read on the page.

Are there any supplemental or books I need to read before Superman Last son?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

All-New Member

There are a few I do not see mentioned here I really enjoyed as a kid, and perhaps now they do not stand up but here goes.
    1986ish There was a series Dark Knight over Metropolis. I really loved the play between the two as they try to outdo each other on who is more trustworthy, each figuring out who the other is. This leading up to Superman showing up at the Batcave giving Batman ALL his faith and trust. (I do not want to spoil it if you haven't read it.)
    Armageddon 2001, There are 2 superman annuals in this set, the first has Waverider (a person before TV made it a ship), look into Supermans future and it was very, very bleak. This also ties into the current Justice League movie timelines as the main concept introduced in BvsS comes almost directly from this story. The second, well, is interesting, but nearly as much.

Master Hero Vladimir

I think we can consider the Tomasi/Gleason/Jurgens run an essential recommendation, right?

I see Man of Steel listed here, but all I found on Amazon seemed to be used copies the sellers wanted too much for. Where might I get this? And how good is it?

Outside of Emperor Joker does anyone have any good Mxyzptlk stories that are collected?

Well, after All Star I'd probably say collect the other classic/most popular Superman stories. Birthright is probably my favorite of the ones I've read so far. But I also really like American Alien. Or if you just prefer Morrison on Superman you could check out his Action Comics run.

Volumes 1-9 of "Superman: The Man Of Steel" by John Byrne. You can pick up the trades on Amazon. An important part of the character's history.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Just putting this here because I think it should be recommended from now on, Man and Superman by Wolfman is one of the best Superman stories I've read.

Since I alternate between Batman and Superman purchases (with a bit of Wonder Woman sprinkled in, love my Trinity), and I just made a big Superman purchase, it'll be a little bit before I next really focus on the Man of Tomorrow (oh but too have the cash to really splurge on comics like I want), but there's no harm in planning out my next Superman foray ahead of time. So far I've read:

Secret Origin, American Alien, Birthright, volume one of Grant Morrison's Action Comics, Superman For All Seasons, Man and Superman, and all of Superman: Earth One.

Of those I'd have to say my favorites so far have definitely been Birthright and Man and Superman, although they've all been fun.

What I already plan to get when I get the chance are:

Whatever Happened, Secret Identity, All Star, and Red Son. Although All Star and Red Son are a bit low on my list since I've seen the movie and the motion comic respectively.

Can anyone think of any titles you think I should add to my list? Thanks for any suggestions!

^Vakanai,

have you read Superman: Exile by Dan Jurgens?

I haven't read it in years but I remember loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    ^Vakanai,

have you read Superman: Exile by Dan Jurgens?

I haven't read it in years but I remember loving it.
    Sorry for the late reply, but no I haven't. Will look into it, thanks!

Question: What's the difference between Action Comics, Vol. 1: Superman and the Men of Steel and World Against Superman? Do they both just collect the first bit of Morrison's Action run?