Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I recommend the You Tube Channel Cartoonist Kayfabe. They recently reviewed Jim Shooters Legion of Superheroes and Action Comics Number One. They can get a bit technical when discussing art but they are storytellers first.
    https://youtu.be/9rTSW75XiV0

They also reviewed an issue of Scott McClouds Superman run. The guys on the channel are not Superman fans and seeing them discover Superman from random issues is a treat. They are surprised how good old Supes comics are!

DC released a 16 page PSA comic called Superman: For the Animals which Superman/Clark only shows up in about 3 pages of it the story focuses on a young boy who is a writing a letter to Superman. The kid is Superman fan who moves to a new town and makes friends with some kids and the leader is a kid who tortures and kills animals for fun he gets the others to drown a squirrel that a teacher who gives them detention for something, and then he throws a kitten (or a puppy it's been a while since I read it) off an over pass and Superman catches it and hates Superman for it. Finally the boy has enough of this kid and when tries to get him and his other friends to kill another animal and when the he makes fun of Superman and calls him "big dumb boy scout" the kid knocks him on his ass and he falls over his suitcase filled with collars and the kids realize how sick he really is and he gets sent to counseling and the others confess to the teacher that helped drown the squirrel and they have to do community service and at the end the kid is coming out of a comic book store and Superman standing next to the store and Superman tells him "that you're is my hero" flies away the kid does a double take and then goes off to hang out with friends.

This poly-bagged with a bunch of various Superman comics back in the late 90s/early 00s sure it's a PSA but I love that uses Superman as inspiration, like I said he's only in 3 pages but never lectures about animal cruelty it allows the boy to make his own decision about it and it's short (about 16 pages) and it's heart is in the right place. Not for everyone but certainly worth a look if you can find it.
    Last edited by Cyberstrike; 09-01-2021 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    DC released a 16 page PSA comic called Superman: For the Animals which Superman/Clark only shows up in about 3 pages of it the story focuses on a young boy who is a writing a letter to Superman. The kid is Superman fan who moves to a new town and makes friends with some kids and the leader is a kid who tortures and kills animals for fun he gets the others to drown a squirrel that a teacher who gives them detention for something, and then he throws a kitten (or a puppy it's been a while since I read it) off an over pass and Superman catches it and hates Superman for it. Finally the boy has enough of this kid and when tries to get him and his other friends to kill another animal and when the he makes fun of Superman and calls him "big dumb boy scout" the kid knocks him on his ass and he falls over his suitcase filled with collars and the kids realize how sick he really is and he gets sent to counseling and the others confess to the teacher that helped drown the squirrel and they have to do community service and at the end the kid is coming out of a comic book store and Superman standing next to the store and Superman tells him "that you're is my hero" flies away the kid does a double take and then goes off to hang out with friends.

This poly-bagged with a bunch of various Superman comics back in the late 90s/early 00s sure it's a PSA but I love that uses Superman as inspiration, like I said he's only in 3 pages but never lectures about animal cruelty it allows the boy to make his own decision about it and it's short (about 16 pages) and it's heart is in the right place. Not for everyone but certainly worth a look if you can find it.
    You know kids who torture and kill animals are almost always psychopaths who turn on people later on in life. If there were a sequel to that story the pet killer would probably be a serial killer in adulthood. So definitely a good psa, such kids need to be identified so they can get counseling and medication so they don't wind up killing someone in later life. That said I don't think I would like this book - would creep me out too much (I'm the guy who gets upset over accidentally running over a squirrel).

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    Superman Smashes the Klan is definitely a must read Superman book. Quite honestly, the story of the family, leaving Chinatown and settling in the Midwest, that would have been enough to be a classic graphic novel. Throw the Superman story on top, draw all kinds of crazy parallels between Superman and a 12 year old Asian girl? That's a book for the ages! It also works as an unbelievably new take on Superman in the Atomic Age. I liked Superman for All Seasons back in the day, this book hits those spots for me but much more powerfully. A great Superman story! (And family one too!)
    I saw this book in my local comic book store today, read on the back that it was set in the 1940's. Opened it to the first page and saw Lois with Jimmy, and her asking Atom Man if he would mind answering some of her questions- whilst he was smashing the Metropolis Dam, lol That just made me smile right there in the store so I decided to buy it. I can't wait to read it!

BANNED

To suggest something no one else ever does, I would really recommend the original Siegel/Shuster stories of the first few years of his existence. They are so charming, and opened up my imagination and made me fall in love with the character. Of course they're from a simpler time and not fun of too much "dramatic tension," but people still enjoy Peanuts and Pogo and whatnot. Little moments will always be what I remember best about the character, like when Lois asks "When will I see you again?" and Superman replies "Who knows? Perhaps tomorrow... perhaps never" while the moon reflects off the water behind them. Sometimes charming and innocent is its own kind of entertainment value.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I read Superman: Up in the Sky by Tom King, and I think it's one of the best Superman comics in some time. And that surprised me because me I thought King might go too dark with Superman. But he mostly doesn't and serves a perfectly smaller-scale story that celebrates Superman's myth and story archetypes. King's characterization is just spot on, he nails the voices of the characters.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Camelot Falls part One and Two, they just did a Deluxe Edition but I have the slim trades. I love the sound of Kurt Busieks words and the way he brings to life different characters in their own writing. The Carlos Pacheco art has a lot of movement and they give Lois a new haircut. I would love to read a Kurt Busiek Superman and the New Gods run. Arion of Atlantis comes from the past to warn Superman of a threat in the future. There is a New Gods cameo and a post apocalypse story that may have been caused by Superman. There is also a hidden Super alíen found by the government that rivals Superman and reminds him of what his life could have been like.
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 06-18-2023 at 06:34 AM.

I thoroughly enjoyed Superman: American Alien. It may not land for everyone but it certainly did for me.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.