Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

So much for continuing with the interesting world of 1872, no we're just going to transplant a character from there and stick them in modern times like practically every comic. What happened to the idea that world had whole arcs of storylines which could be told there?

Like others have noted with the "mini?" question, Marvel has mostly steered away from miniseries aside from specific minis with established characters (usually Deadpool) telling specific stories. Instead they seem to make certain that the initial storyline of books have a 'breakpoint' after 8-12 issues that makes sense if economics determine ending it.

Given how Edmondson's last Punisher and Black Widow books ran, I could see him doing this well –*and how Veregge is describing this interaction sounds like a good match (comparable to Phil Noto on BW). It'll be interesting to see how the interior art looks and flows. Between the way teams are being advertised together and the number of books being billed, I have a sense the Marvel isn't going to overship books the way they have in the past (at least on many titles –*of course, one can look at Edmonson's own books where he keep constant artists through 18-issue runs pre-Secret Wars).

On the "Why Red Wolf?" question versus Marvel's other Native American characters, versus American Eagle or the various mutants, I think it's both a matter of fallout from Secret Wars and an issue of the story being told. A lot of Marvel Comics is always allegory. The character of Red Wolf has always been one used in tales of a changing West (even in regards to the late 1800s), so being a Man Out of Time™ exacerbates a core property. By comparison, American Eagle works more as a figure on the intersection of cultural identity and patriotic assimilation (the mutants are, as always another can of allegory). I trust Edmondson to have, per the example set by his other recent books, a sideways approach to the character that will prove interesting –*and Veregge seems to be a neat new artist to see in print.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

On "Why not another Native American character?" well, I would imagine they wanted to tell a Red Wolf story, not a Mirage or an Echo story. I think this runs contrary to the criticism that they go for the image of diversity over telling a story. I'm glad that they actually want to try something new and not try pushing a limited number of characters to represent one background.

What happens to the 1872 book is now a strange question, though. I could have sworn they said it was ongoing.

Fantastic Member

Oh comic book fans and companies...

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

They try something new and put it out there. Some fans steer clear because it doesn't look interesting to them (fair point) or it's alil entitlement issue but I think alot of them don't pick it up because they think it won't last. Because of that it doesn't sell and is cancelled. So a popular idea that "different" books get cancelled is propagated and the cycle continues.

Promotion can happen all it wants but readers gotta give the book a shot (if the premise interests them of course) and then you'll see stuff change. The consumer has one of the biggest says in this.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 09-08-2015 at 09:13 AM. Reason: be careful with accusations, please

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    An ongoing definitely seems a little bit overeager, but if it can find an audience, that's great. Still, if they were looking for an ongoing with a Native American lead, I would have leaned towards American Eagle or Echo.
    Ooh, ooh! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of Echo when I read this.

Maybe she could be the Elektra to Red Wolf's Daredevil?

...Okay, I'm stretching, but she's been gone too long, dammit, especially when the only witness to her "death" was hallucinating like all heck at the time. Retcon that shiz already.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    So much for continuing with the interesting world of 1872, no we're just going to transplant a character from there and stick them in modern times like practically every comic. What happened to the idea that world had whole arcs of storylines which could be told there?
    Yeah, a lot of wasted potential. Remember when we were filled with so much hope? Lol, sigh.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    What happens to the 1872 book is now a strange question, though. I could have sworn they said it was ongoing.
    Well to be fair I guess Weirdworld is getting two books focused on it, but it's possible a second book actually set in the 1872 dimension is possible. Or utilising elements within stuff like Contest of Champions or Web Warriors (which look to be the multiverse spanning books post SW).

I want to see a team-up arc with Luke Cage and Shang Chi. Vs. the Sons of the Serpent.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    What these books needs is more promotion and that the people will be able to know and read (maybe more interviews to the authors will help a bit more not just weird variant covers), some of them have potential to be more of what it seems at a first glimpse.
    It would also help if 90% of the posts in these threads weren't saying how shitty the books are. If people come here looking for recommendations and trust our opinions,
    it only stands to reason that a bunch of negative comments would steer them away from a book they might like. If people want readership to grow (or at least hold steady),
    they need to remember that their comments can have an influence on somebody who doesn't know any better. So be thoughtful before ripping into every new
    announcement. Remember, if you don't have anything nice to say, then say nothing at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    The 8-12 issue predictions are so rude and negative. And you know it all stems from their own favorite characters not getting a title.
    Not at all, I say this from a couple of decades of buying monthly comics under my belt. And as someone who usually seeks out the fringe titles on purpose, as they tend to be less editorially-controlled and able to open up and tell good stories but sadly never last very long. But in order to buy one of those fringe titles I need something to draw me in.

Another Native American character in tribal dress? With a run-of-the-mill writer and artist, and lacking the best part of his way too stereotypical outfit (the headdress)? What's the draw? As many have said, you have far more established (and less potentially offensive) Native American heroes.

Granted, most of them are mutants so good luck getting the powers that be to OK a solo. It doesn't take a genius to see that this title isn't going to last more than a year unless Disney artificially lowers their standards for monthly sales for the sake of diversity (and since he's not an Inhuman, I can't see why they'd do that).

As someone suggested, why not American Eagle? He's a more modern, less stereotypical Native American hero and he's still got good will left from a few guest appearances in Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts run almost a decade ago. If you put Ellis on the title it'd probably well enough to keep going past the 8-12 (not that he would stay that long on a Marvel title, which is why Karnak is similarly doomed unless the Nuhuman thing prevents them from cancelling it).

Better yet, why not forget the whole Fox p###ing contest and just make a Moonstar or Warpath book? Get a semi-decent creative team on it, and you've already got the built-in X-Men audience hungry for more books.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I'm with you. I honestly preferred an ongoing on 1872 over this...

But it does sound interesting. Edmondson is a solid writer and this kinda gives me a Cap meets Scalped sorta vibe.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    It would also help if 90% of the posts in these threads weren't saying how shitty the books are. If people come here looking for recommendations and trust our opinions,
    it only stands to reason that a bunch of negative comments would steer them away from a book they might like. If people want readership to grow (or at least hold steady),
    they need to remember that their comments can have an influence on somebody who doesn't know any better. So be thoughtful before ripping into every new
    announcement. Remember, if you don't have anything nice to say, then say nothing at all.
    That's right, the truth is that if so many people say that the book in question is not worth it or just have something that does not call attention (I have that thought in many announcements for comics I've seen, but it is likely that at last I will be decided to buy them or at least what I can found better), then people who read the comments in the forums are influenced by it, like the case contrary.

I think it's more a matter of intuition and trust in what you may believe that can be a new book, but there are also factors that would influence it, the name of the writer, artist (a really important thing), the character itself (although there are cases of uninteresting characters that a good writer can become them, popular).

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

This is an odd idea, I'm not sure what to think of it.

I wish they continued to explore the 1872 universe though.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think an on-going here might be a bit overly optimistic. Maybe they should have started with a mini to test the waters and go from there.
    But this IS a mini in disguise, which is something Marvel is doing a lot in the last few years (the Storm and Teen Cyke books come to mind, and Starbrand & Nightmask seems to be another).

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Another Native American character in tribal dress?
    Essentially a brand new character.
    With a run-of-the-mill writer and artist, and lacking the best part of his way too stereotypical outfit (the headdress)? What's the draw? As many have said, you have far more established (and less potentially offensive) Native American heroes.
    Well, I think it's a little tough to say an espionage writer (Dancer, Jake Ellis, Punisher, Black Widow, Activity, Splinter Cell) with a brand new artist (whose interiors have not been seen before) writing a trans dimensional Native Jason Bourne is run of the mill. As far as potential offense goes, I think Veregge being Native American helps significantly with credibility.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Not at all, I say this from a couple of decades of buying monthly comics under my belt. And as someone who usually seeks out the fringe titles on purpose, as they tend to be less editorially-controlled and able to open up and tell good stories but sadly never last very long. But in order to buy one of those fringe titles I need something to draw me in.

Another Native American character in tribal dress? With a run-of-the-mill writer and artist, and lacking the best part of his way too stereotypical outfit (the headdress)? What's the draw? As many have said, you have far more established (and less potentially offensive) Native American heroes.

Granted, most of them are mutants so good luck getting the powers that be to OK a solo. It doesn't take a genius to see that this title isn't going to last more than a year unless Disney artificially lowers their standards for monthly sales for the sake of diversity (and since he's not an Inhuman, I can't see why they'd do that).

As someone suggested, why not American Eagle? He's a more modern, less stereotypical Native American hero and he's still got good will left from a few guest appearances in Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts run almost a decade ago. If you put Ellis on the title it'd probably well enough to keep going past the 8-12 (not that he would stay that long on a Marvel title, which is why Karnak is similarly doomed unless the Nuhuman thing prevents them from cancelling it).

Better yet, why not forget the whole Fox p###ing contest and just make a Moonstar or Warpath book? Get a semi-decent creative team on it, and you've already got the built-in X-Men audience hungry for more books.

X-Men fans don't buy solo X-Men titles unless it stars Wolverine and there's a long list of failed/canceled solo tries as proof, the fact that the Native American mutants can also vanish into the X-Men background without a peep from fans also shows that giving them a solo shot is a even bigger waste of time.

I'm buying this cause Edmonson did a awesome Black Widow series and I'm not a woe is me X-Men fan

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    The 8-12 issue predictions are so rude and negative.
    Thinking certain books will last 8-12 seems realistic to me. It's definitely not implying I think the book will be bad or anything, but it's clear Marvel is going in with the mentality many of its ANAD books won't last that long, and they're experimenting to see what will stick out among the rest.
    Last edited by Of Atlantis; 09-08-2015 at 09:28 AM.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher