Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Decent Man-Bat stories?

Hey folks!

So, what are the good Man-Bat stories? He is one of the Batman characters I haven't seen a lot of.

Anything you can recommend is appreciated!

Thanks,
    -Odd Rödney
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-18-2021 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Typos: Zero Tolerance
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Man-Bat by Jamie Delano and John Bolton. Worth it for Bolton's art alone, but it's a very good story altogether.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm not a big Man-Bat fan. I don't like Kirk when done as too heroic a character.

His first stories are my faves and were reprinted here:
    Man-Bat vs Batman
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Man-Bat_vs._Batman_Vol_1_1
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-09-2015 at 07:38 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Amazing Member

When the Neal Adams 3-volume set came out a couple of years ago, I got to read the original Man-Bat stories from Detective for the first time and I thoroughly enjoyed them. Those early 'Tec appearances were also reprinted in the one-shot Man-Bat comic from '84 which is pretty cheap.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Man-Bat by Jamie Delano and John Bolton. Worth it for Bolton's art alone, but it's a very good story altogether.
    This really is the best.

And, while technically not a Manbat story, the Bat-Thing Amalgam oneshot is a really great tribute to what's best in Manbat stories with none of the stuff that can bog some of them down.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I didn't love that one. One weird thing is that it seems to have Judge Dredd dressed as Batman rather than Batman himself.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I didn't love that one. One weird thing is that it seems to have Judge Dredd dressed as Batman rather than Batman himself.
    I think that's why it's Elseworlds. It's definitely a more hardline Batman than we normally get, but other than that, I don't see why it couldn't be in continuity.

Man-Bat by Jamie Delano and John Bolton.
    I finally got these comics the other day, haven't read them yet but I'm going to on the weekend. When I got them I noticed John Bolton's name and thought of this bloke, lol.

200106115607-03-john-bolton-file-lead-image-exlarge-169.jpg

Didn't know he had a previous gig as a (very gifted) artist.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 12-23-2023 at 10:52 AM.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Not a solo story, but Man-Bat is an important member of the current Justice League Dark, up to a bit above 20 issues now with the tie-ins.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    LOL. Reading about Batman dispensing advice & helping out "ladies of the night" was a real hoot.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 02-05-2020 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Added clarification.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I saw the Neal Adams Man-Bat and I don't like what I saw. He can talk, he looks goofy, as in, he's drawn goofy. Less of a monster and more of a cartoon character. It's his expression while in Man-Bat form but wearing Kirk's clothes and talks like a normal person.

I prefer the more bestial Man-Bat like in BTAS On Leather Wings or Arkham Knight, or at least if they have to make him talk and wear clothes, make him sound creepy. Actually do the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde thing. Don't keep the same personality and consciousness.

So any recommendation for that type of Man-Bat?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I prefer the more bestial Man-Bat like in BTAS On Leather Wings or Arkham Knight, or at least if they have to make him talk and wear clothes, make him sound creepy. Actually do the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde thing. Don't keep the same personality and consciousness.

So any recommendation for that type of Man-Bat?
    I get what you're saying completely and I'm in search of the same thing. 'Batman: Man-Bat' by Jamie Delano and John Bolton (as mentioned above) is more that kind of thing as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-18-2021 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    Hey folks!

So, what are the good Man-Bat stories? He is one of the Batman characters I haven't seen a lot of.

Anything you can recommend is appreciated!

Thanks,
    -Odd Rödney
    In the main timeline there are a lot of great Batman stories.
    But among these and among the out of continuity stories there are of great great one that you can read in any order.
    Here is a little suggestion of some of my favorits from the 100 and 100 of Bat-stories I've read:

• Tales of the Batman: Steve Englehart - 1 omni. <- very very good
    • Tales of the Batman: Len Wein - 1 omni.
    • Tales of the Batman: Archie Goodwin - 1 omni.
    • Batman by Neal Adams - 3 vol. or 1 omni.
    • Batman: Prey + Batman: Terror (by Doug Moench) - 2 vol. or 1 omni.
    • Batman: Ego and Other Tails (by Darwyn Cooke) - 1 omni.
    • Batman: Gothic (by Grant Morrison) - 1 vol.
    • Batman: Mad Love (by Paul Dini) - 1 vol.
    • Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth (by Grant Morrison) - 1 vol.
    • Tales of the Multiverse: Vampire: Batman (by Doug Moench & Kelley Jones) - 1 omni.
    • Vengeance of Bane (by Chuck Dixon) - 1 vol. (or included in the new Knightfall Omnibus)
    • Batman: New Gotham + Batman: Turning Point + Bruce Wayne: Murdere ? + Bruce Wayne: Fugitive (by Greg Rucka & Ed Brubaker) - 2 omi. + 1 vol. + 2 omni.
    • Gotham Central (by Greg Rucka & Ed Brubaker) - 4 omni.
      Batman/Huntress: Cry For Blood (by Greg Rucka) - 1 vol.
    • Batman by Jeph Loeb and Paul Dini - 1 omni. + 7 vol.
      • Batman: Silence - 1 omni.
      • Batman: Detective
      • Batman: Death and the City
      • Batman: Private Casebook
      • Batman: Heart of Hush
      • Batman: Streets of Gotham, Vol. 1 – Hush Money
      • Batman: Streets of Gotham, Vol. 2 – Leviathan
      • Batman: Streets of Gotham, Vol. 3 – The House of Hush
    • Arkham Asylum: Living Hell (by Dan Slott) - 1 vol.
    • Batman: Snow (J.H. Williams III) - 1 vol.
    • Batman: Under the Red Hood + Red Hood: Lost Days (by Various) - 1 omni. + 1 vol.
    • Batman & Son (by Grand Morrison) - 1 vol.
    • Batman, the dark knight: Cycle of Violence + Batman, the dark knight: Mad + Batman, the dark knight: Clay (by Gregg Hurwitz) - 3 vol.
    • Batman: Emperor Penguin + Batman: The Wrath (by John Layman) - 2 vol.
    • Batman by Francis Manapul & Brian Buccellato - 1 omni.
    • The DC Univers by Mike Mignolia - 1 omni.
    • Batman: The Court of Owls Saga - 1 omni.
    • Joker (by Brian Azzarello) - 1 vol.
    • Batman: A Lot of Li'l Gotham (by Dustin Nguyen) - 1 omni.

To be more precise about Man-Bat:

• Batman by Neal Adams - 3 vol. or 1 omni.
    • Batman, the dark knight: Clay (by Gregg Hurwitz) - 1 vol. (the 2nd story)

Have much fun
    Last edited by jb681131; 02-05-2020 at 03:33 PM.

Retired

I didn't know until just now that Man-Bat also got a Baxter book reprint in the early 1980s. That would be the reprint I'd want to have for the Neal Adams Man-Bat. Those Baxter books weren't perfect--they did a lot with colour effects to change how the original art looked, but their changes were mild when compared with the drastic changes that Adams himself made in the hardcover books. I have all the original comics--but those three Adams issues proved hard to get for any reasonable price ('TEC 400, 402, 407). Frank Robbins, the actual creator of Man-Bat, drew the next two Man-Bat stories himself--so if you want to see how Man-Bat should look, those are the two to get ('TEC 416, 429). The best Man-Bat for me was Mike Golden's in BATMAN FAMILY 20.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

I recommend The Brave and The Bold #165.
    Can never go wrong when Don Newton is the artist, written by Martin Pasko.
    Of course the cover is by Jim Aparo.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/The_Brave...Bold_Vol_1_165

B&B165.jpg