Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Stacy View Post
    Officially, the flagship titles were WildC.A.T.S. and Stormwatch, with Wildstorm being a portmanteau of the two titles.
    Yes. I had meant flagships as in they were very iconic (and stuck out). That's why I had flagships in quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    DC Comics needs to spinoff Wildstorm Comics as an independent company once again to how it was before they bought it.
    I wouldn't mind seeing Wildstorm interwoven with DC - but I'd want it to be the Wildstorm we're familiar with. Not the new takes that DC has done.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I loved WildCats in the early days with Grifter and Voodoo being my favorites, the former was cool and the latter hot...didn't know of any other heroines that were strippers and such, then they changed it all up and I quickly lost interest. Never really a fan of Cyberforce but loved Stormwatch as well until it all got changed up drastically.
    I'm surprised that someone with the name "Logan" in their handle didn't find Ripclaw as your favorite from WildCATS.

Grifter was admittedly awesome. Even the New 52 version of him remained pretty close to his original form. It just didn't feel like it progressed much.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Despite its problems i quite liked the latest iteration of Cyber Force. The delays hurt it bad though. Itll be interesting to see how the Korean Digital service thing works out for em.
    I loved the new Cyber Force too. I hope they release this new digital stuff in paper format eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by daningotham View Post
    I loved the new Cyber Force too. I hope they release this new digital stuff in paper format eventually.
    Okay, as I wasn't a fan of the new Cyberforce stuff (seemed very drab in color for one thing, so it felt blah, just reading it) - let's hear WHAT you (or whoever wants to weigh in!) liked about the new Cyberforce.

I thought the art was way better than the stuff from the 90s series. Especially in terms of design. Though i agree that colouring was a bit drag in places.
    Otherwise I like how it shifted into being more of a sci-fi focused title dealing with social political themes (however brief) over the typical mindless superheroics/XMen ripoff of the earlier stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Otherwise I like how it shifted into being more of a sci-fi focused title dealing with social political themes (however brief) over the typical mindless superheroics/XMen ripoff of the earlier stuff.
    See, I think that's what I liked was that more - as you said, senseless "superheroics."
    I guess, when comics begin to reflect too much of reality (for example, politics) - then I tend to lose interest in it. Perhaps because it begins to remind me of the real world too much. And if I want that, I turn on the (horribly depressing) news.
    Even in X-Men, I enjoyed the subtly of prejudice of mutants and humans. But when the X-Men stories began centering on showing people with their "Anti-Mutant" signs, it got to be too much being crammed down my throat.

But that's what makes comics awesome - that all of us can pull something from them - all different.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing Wildstorm interwoven with DC - but I'd want it to be the Wildstorm we're familiar with. Not the new takes that DC has done.
    DC will never interwoven Wildstorm in the proper manner. I think that Jim Lee made the worst mistake by selling Wildstorm to DC Comics, who have destroyed what made the company great. The Gen 13 cartoon was in production by Disney's Touchstone Pictures ready for US distribution until it was announced that Jim Lee sold his company to DC which is a division of Time Warner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gen%C2%B9%C2%B3_(film)

Imagine where Wildstorm would be today had Jim Lee not sold the company to DC Comics as they could have branched into video games and animated TV and Film projects.

Okay, as I wasn't a fan of the new Cyberforce stuff (seemed very drab in color for one thing, so it felt blah, just reading it) - let's hear WHAT you (or whoever wants to weigh in!) liked about the new Cyberforce.
    I liked the art mostly. The story was good too though. I've actually never read the older Cyber Force stuff. I was able to understand what was going on in the new stuff though. I'm not totally sure what I liked about it, just seemed really cool to me. Hard to pinpoint exactly. But I do know the art was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by daningotham View Post
    I liked the art mostly. The story was good too though. I've actually never read the older Cyber Force stuff. I was able to understand what was going on in the new stuff though. I'm not totally sure what I liked about it, just seemed really cool to me. Hard to pinpoint exactly. But I do know the art was awesome!
    Heh, fair enough! As for the previous Cyberforce stuff - yeah, none of that is required with the latest one they did. The latest one they did is pretty much a complete reboot.

Spectacular Member

I am surprised no hardcover reprints of those titles have been released.
    trying to be nicer

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jay View Post
    I am surprised no hardcover reprints of those titles have been released.
    That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. Would be nice to have it collected in a single volume, rather than constantly needing to find it in the comic box.

Wish there was a way to bring Wildstorm back to Image. What DC is doing to them is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Wish there was a way to bring Wildstorm back to Image. What DC is doing to them is terrible.
    If DC was smart, after the whole Convergence fiasco - they'd bring back the team as they were - and see how it does.

Ultimate Member

If DC was smart, after the whole Convergence fiasco - they'd bring back the team as they were - and see how it does.
    If DC was smart, they wouldn't have done Nu52.

Or, at the very least, wouldn't have mixed in DC with Wildstorm, characters with two very different tones.

That said, they were clearly building towards a Wildcat book with Voodoo, Grifter and Helspont having prominent roles early on. The only problem is that they were selling the same old story, that Alan Moore castrated during his run (and really, is all anyone remembers of the damenite (sp) conflict in Wildcats).

The real problem with Wildcats these days is no one knows what to do with them. The whole 'fighting secret aliens' thing is cliche these days on it's face, and nothing's replaced that concept yet.

Joe Casey came close, maybe, but his ideas robbed the series of tension (His stories in a nutshell: Grifter gets in situation. Grifter screws up. Spartan teleports and solves everything. That was his entire damn run!), and come across as boring (rightfully so)

As much as DC's screwed the pooch when it comes to their own concepts (see Lobo), they're not the cause of the Wildcat's troubles, per say. The Wildcats are. Until they have a reason to exist as a team, they won't, nor should they.

So the question really is, what's their cause now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    If DC was smart, they wouldn't have done Nu52.
    I don't know. The New 52 is what really pulled me into DC.

Or, at the very least, wouldn't have mixed in DC with Wildstorm, characters with two very different tones.
    Okay, well this I agree with.

That said, they were clearly building towards a Wildcat book with Voodoo, Grifter and Helspont having prominent roles early on. The only problem is that they were selling the same old story, that Alan Moore castrated during his run (and really, is all anyone remembers of the damenite (sp) conflict in Wildcats).
    The real problem with Wildcats these days is no one knows what to do with them. The whole 'fighting secret aliens' thing is cliche these days on it's face, and nothing's replaced that concept yet.
    Joe Casey came close, maybe, but his ideas robbed the series of tension (His stories in a nutshell: Grifter gets in situation. Grifter screws up. Spartan teleports and solves everything. That was his entire damn run!), and come across as boring (rightfully so)
    As much as DC's screwed the pooch when it comes to their own concepts (see Lobo), they're not the cause of the Wildcat's troubles, per say. The Wildcats are. Until they have a reason to exist as a team, they won't, nor should they.
    So the question really is, what's their cause now?
    What I don't understand is, why can't they exist (as they did in WildCATS when they were with Wildstorm), initially to fight off some alien invasion - but then just be another super hero team, that fights normal super villains? There's no reason, there can't be a story with them (if woven into DC), that they don't fight Scarecrow, or Lex Luther, or whomever.

Ultimate Member

I don't know. The New 52 is what really pulled me into DC.
    Trust me, the stuff that came before was far superior.

What I don't understand is, why can't they exist (as they did in WildCATS when they were with Wildstorm), initially to fight off some alien invasion - but then just be another super hero team, that fights normal super villains? There's no reason, there can't be a story with them (if woven into DC), that they don't fight Scarecrow, or Lex Luther, or whomever.
    Because every team needs their own identity. The only team books that can get away with 'fighting crime, because heroes', are the big guns. The Avengers, Justice League, etc.

The rest? They need a reason that's not circular. X-Men fight to protect their own in a world that hates and fear them, the FF explode bold new worlds, etc.

Just 'fighting bad guys' was why Wildcats was rebooted so often before. They need a motivation beyond 'fighting crime 'cause heroes', especially given that the majority of them are anti-heroes.