Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I still think the character-changing moment soon upon us is that Dawn is pregnant with the Surfer's baby.

We saw hints that such a thing might be coming in the first volume.

-Pav, who'd be okay with that...
    Just another way to 'trap' him on Earth.

Unless Slott does a PAD and something horrible happens to the baby (ala Siryn and Madrox), I just dont feel there is much mileage in Silver Surf-dad when compared to the Surfer I want to read.

Other's will no doubt feel differently.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

The tagline is "Anywhere and Everywhere - Hang On!"

If he stays on earth it loses what makes Silver Surfer unique.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

BANNED

Eh, the book has already lost what made the Surfer unique. Now it's just bad Doctor Who fan-fic with "ZOMG, quirky" interactions and characters. For me, it's on the chopping block. I'm giving it a month or two, but it'll probably be dropped.

I'm surprised that nobody has commented on the 50th anniversary issue. I thought it was horrible!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I'm surprised that nobody has commented on the 50th anniversary issue. I thought it was horrible!
    Eh, I cancelled my sub when it became evident that it was "The Dawn show featuring Surfer Who?" and not a Silver Surfer solo. It's sad to both the Surfer and Strange get solos, and have them be so darn bad that I have to drop them. I'll probably be dropping Strange as well next month, and replacing it with something that's actually good...

Horrible? This issue?

I think the whole run is abysmal. Hopefully, it won't last too long
    At least we got a nice Epic last year, collecting the first half of Englehart's run. Now, those are some proper Silver Surfer stories.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pjerooo View Post
    Horrible? This issue?

At least we got a nice Epic last year, collecting the first half of Englehart's run. Now, those are some proper Silver Surfer stories.
    Honestly, I don't think so. It'll either do well enoug for Slott to keep writting his Who fan-fiction for as long as he wants, or Marvel will not be satisfied with the numbers and just cancel it. It's a lose-lose situation. Sigh, why can't we just get some good books with classic characters that don't forsake everything that made them unique in favor of "modernization"? It pains to see a Doctor Strange and Silver Surfer solo on the "stands" and drop it because it's garbage. Sigh... At least Moon Knight and Black Panther are good, so there's that...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    Mantis Girl's Weekly Dose of Silverado!

What Mantis Girl would look like if Norrin paid me a visit!

You are to be a part of phase 4 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe in 2020!An EVOLVED Mantis who´s original incarnation will make her debut in GOTG 2 in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by pjerooo View Post
    Horrible? This issue?

I thought it was fantastic - tied with Power Man and Iron Fist for my favorite comic of the month! I think Slott masterfully tied in elements of Surfer's past with the current storyline and characters - for example, seeing Dawn, Shalla Bal, and Alicia Masters together was pretty excellent, considering the trouble Norrin has had proving to Dawn that he really is a good guy (and dateable). Also, I thought the whole "culture war" thing playing out over a few issues has been interesting, and this month's issue really provided the emotional turmoil I think we're used to seeing Norrin deal with.

But I'm not one to start threads as a general rule, and I've been pretty busy lately.

It's a bummer that many of you don't care for the Slott/Allred run. I'd say things like, "Try not to let your preconceived notions rule your experience" or something, but *shrugs* I suppose it's no skin off my back if you don't like it.

...unless it gets cancelled!(?!?!?!?!?!!!!!)

-Pav, who hadn't thought it through...!!!!!!!
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Sigh, why can't we just get some good books with classic characters that don't forsake everything that made them unique in favor of "modernization"?
    I don't think the current run "forsake[s] everything that made [the character] unique."

I don't think you think that either.

It's just a different tone, I think. But the character doesn't seem altogether different than the one I'm used to reading about.

That being said, I'm not super obsessive about the Surfer; maybe I'd be just as frustrated if it were Ben Reilly we were talking about.

-Pav, who tries to enjoy whatever he reads though...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

[QUOTE=Pav;1979972]I thought it was fantastic

Norrin would never choose the Earth over Zenn-La, and he would never choose Dawn over Shalla-Bal.

BANNED

I thought it was fantastic - tied with Power Man and Iron Fist for my favorite comic of the month! I think Slott masterfully tied in elements of Surfer's past with the current storyline and characters - for example, seeing Dawn, Shalla Bal, and Alicia Masters together was pretty excellent, considering the trouble Norrin has had proving to Dawn that he really is a good guy (and dateable). Also, I thought the whole "culture war" thing playing out over a few issues has been interesting, and this month's issue really provided the emotional turmoil I think we're used to seeing Norrin deal with.

But I'm not one to start threads as a general rule, and I've been pretty busy lately.

It's a bummer that many of you don't care for the Slott/Allred run. I'd say things like, "Try not to let your preconceived notions rule your experience" or something, but *shrugs* I suppose it's no skin off my back if you don't like it.

...unless it gets cancelled!(?!?!?!?!?!!!!!)

-Pav, who hadn't thought it through...!!!!!!!
    I'd be one hell of a happy customer if it got cancelled and then relaunched with someone who can actually write cosmic stories...

I don't think the current run "forsake[s] everything that made [the character] unique."

I don't think you think that either.

It's just a different tone, I think. But the character doesn't seem altogether different than the one I'm used to reading about.

That being said, I'm not super obsessive about the Surfer; maybe I'd be just as frustrated if it were Ben Reilly we were talking about.

-Pav, who tries to enjoy whatever he reads though...
    The Surfer was always like the Martian Manhunter. Cold, detached, but still with feelings, he wasn't a machine. He had just been through a lot and they had changed him. This one, this one is just an eccentric version of him. Dawn is extremely annoying, the feel of the book is this "quirky and fun" thing they've been pushing for years, and it's pretty much a Doctor Who clone at this point. He protects Earth and betrays his people (see End of Time), he falls in love with an Earth Woman (see Rose's arc), he's sometimes too serious which creates some "humor" (see pretty much every Who episode, ever), he has friends all over the universe who will help him because he has done so for them (see the whole "Death of the 11th Doctor" storyline) and his board in now sentient (see the TARDIS). Some of these are pretty generic, but the book reads like bad DW fan-fiction, not a grand cosmic story starring one of the most powerful beings in the universe. It has pretty much the same problems as Doctor Strange's current book. Tired and beaten plots, a "mass appeal" feel instead of a "niche" one and lots and lots of OOC moments.

Not knocking down anyone who likes this, but for me, both this and Strange are some of the biggest dissapointments of ANAD's books...

It's a bummer that many of you don't care for the Slott/Allred run. I'd say things like, "Try not to let your preconceived notions rule your experience" or something...
    That phrase would be spot-on if the alterations to the character and the general atmosphere were subtle. Alas, they are not.

Supernatural Inhuman! Lucena Soares's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    I'd be one hell of a happy customer if it got cancelled and then relaunched with someone who can actually write cosmic stories...

The Surfer was always like the Martian Manhunter. Cold, detached, but still with feelings, he wasn't a machine. He had just been through a lot and they had changed him. This one, this one is just an eccentric version of him. Dawn is extremely annoying, the feel of the book is this "quirky and fun" thing they've been pushing for years, and it's pretty much a Doctor Who clone at this point. He protects Earth and betrays his people (see End of Time), he falls in love with an Earth Woman (see Rose's arc), he's sometimes too serious which creates some "humor" (see pretty much every Who episode, ever), he has friends all over the universe who will help him because he has done so for them (see the whole "Death of the 11th Doctor" storyline) and his board in now sentient (see the TARDIS). Some of these are pretty generic, but the book reads like bad DW fan-fiction, not a grand cosmic story starring one of the most powerful beings in the universe. It has pretty much the same problems as Doctor Strange's current book. Tired and beaten plots, a "mass appeal" feel instead of a "niche" one and lots and lots of OOC moments.

Not knocking down anyone who likes this, but for me, both this and Strange are some of the biggest dissapointments of ANAD's books...
    I dropped the Silver Surfer book after the Special. I am a newbie to comics and even if the Doctor Strange have been very good to me, Norrin's wasn't. That's pretty much what set's them apart (besides one being magical and the other cosmic) to me, while i understand that both of them are very diferent in these new books, the DS one has been good and the Silver S one hasn't.
    Everything Lives!

Extraordinary Member

Eeek, is the run that bad?