Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536 LastLast

Asked this elsewhere too, but wondering how long was Surfer herald of Galactus in actual issues? What I've read and remember...precious few, first appearance in FF, after Annihilation some time, and now...

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkpatrick View Post
    Asked this elsewhere too, but wondering how long was Surfer herald of Galactus in actual issues? What I've read and remember...precious few, first appearance in FF, after Annihilation some time, and now...
    In actual issue, he rebelled in his first appearance storyline, so hardly at all.

Then he was Herald for a few issues of Thor and Nova after Annihilation.

And now.

So very little actual page time.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    For those who have been reading Silver Surfer comics longer than I....who is his arch nemesis ?

At the current junction that I am at now I'm thinking it's more less Galactus. However, at the same time I am not sure Galactus can classify as anyone's arch nemesis.

Thoughts?
    Galactus is more so like a father that he has had a bit of a troubled history with, I wouldn't consider him a villain to the Surfer. It's a pretty unique relationship as off the top of my head I can't think of any other major heroes with the same sort of relationship (Thor and Herc have fought against their dads on occasion, but those felt different).

He's fought against Mephisto the most. His original series, the vol. 2 one shot, in his third series multiple times, in Daredevil once or twice in a savior role, the Devil's Due crossover in a savior role, the graphic novel where Mephisto took Nova and Galactus asked The Surfer to get her back and Galactus threatened to devour hell, etc. I'd actually consider him Mephisto's greatest nemesis as well since the Surfer has flat out beaten him one on one so many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    An Annual without an Ongoing series is something I'm not sure I can recall ever happening before.
    Agree; they used to just call it a "Special".

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    An Annual without an Ongoing series is something I'm not sure I can recall ever happening before.
    I suspect there may be some messiness with Legacy numbering and the volume 2 counting while annuals do not.

A look back at Silver Surfer #1 fifty years ago:
    https://50yearoldcomics.wordpress.co...1-august-1968/

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkpatrick View Post
    In actual issues that's about it. That said, the Surfer was Galactus' herald for a very long time. I'm not sure if it was ever explicitly stated, but I did read once that he may have been a herald for up to a thousand years.

A new Surfer series?

We’ll see.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Quote Originally Posted by GreenScar1990 View Post
    Learn the Secret History of NORRIN RADD in SILVER SURFER ANNUAL #1

https://www.newsarama.com/40381-lear...-annual-1.html

I just hope he doesn’t go back to being emo again.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    A new Surfer series?

We’ll see.
    Surely now the surfer is back with Galactus we have a brilliant opportunity for a new series. And one that ties in with the surfers original feel and personality. The relationship between the two is a vital part of who the surfer is. I for one would love to see a series around the surfers internal strife as a full time herald of the world muncher.

Quote Originally Posted by Knockagh View Post
    Surely now the surfer is back with Galactus we have a brilliant opportunity for a new series. And one that ties in with the surfers original feel and personality. The relationship between the two is a vital part of who the surfer is. I for one would love to see a series around the surfers internal strife as a full time herald of the world muncher.
    In other words, you want Emo Surfer back.

I'd rather emo Silver Surfer than Disney Silver Surfer with that stupid human sidekick, Dawn or whatever her name was.
    Totally made a mockery of the Surfer, the title was cringe worthy to read.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    In other words, you want Emo Surfer back.

If that’s what you want to call all the surfers to date bar the last series then yes.

I confess I wasn’t a fan at all of the last series. It really really annoyed me and I’ve loved all things surfer for decades.

However I’m not totally opposed to some changes. I understand they have tried the surfer several times and it hasn’t been as popular as marvel would like so they want to shake things up a little. I just think there is huge scope for a grittier more grown up surfer as opposed the last series’s efforts.

One of my favourite ss comics of all time is 75, the conclusion of the herald ordeal. It’s superb, it’s has the surfer exactly were I want him, alone and lonely but willing to help and work with others. Strong and powerful but yet full of a justice and purpose. A lover of nobility.
    I want to see his morals pushed again when he is back with Galactus. His sense of duty pulling against his moral code.

The ss was always supposed to be a book that looked to humanity it’s flaws and it’s goodness. The book needs that struggle to work. And he should do it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Knockagh View Post
    If that’s what you want to call all the surfers to date bar the last series then yes.

I confess I wasn’t a fan at all of the last series. It really really annoyed me and I’ve loved all things surfer for decades.

However I’m not totally opposed to some changes. I understand they have tried the surfer several times and it hasn’t been as popular as marvel would like so they want to shake things up a little. I just think there is huge scope for a grittier more grown up surfer as opposed the last series’s efforts.

One of my favourite ss comics of all time is 75, the conclusion of the herald ordeal. It’s superb, it’s has the surfer exactly were I want him, alone and lonely but willing to help and work with others. Strong and powerful but yet full of a justice and purpose. A lover of nobility.
    I want to see his morals pushed again when he is back with Galactus. His sense of duty pulling against his moral code.

The ss was always supposed to be a book that looked to humanity it’s flaws and it’s goodness. The book needs that struggle to work. And he should do it alone.
    Amen to that, 100% agree and I have every Silver Surfer series except the most recent.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Amazing Member

I would love to see Ethan Sacks given a go at ss. He could put a really gritty edge on him. He has done excellent things with old man Hawkeye and I would love to see him try something similar with ss.