Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMale View Post
    Don't forget that many of the Surfer's appearances are contained in the Fantastic Four/Silver Surfer DVD. Well over 500 comics, including most of his appearances with the FF and reasonably priced on Amazon.

By the way, if you are listening Mr. Slott and Mr. and Mrs. Allred...I love what I'm reading so far. Great stuff!
    I have this collection. It was completely worth the $50 I spent for it. Too bad they had to stop production. These cd roms are rare!

I am really enjoying the new Surfer series, and issue 3 in particular was a great end to the first arc. I've also read my first real back issues of SS - the second volume of Essential Silver Surfer, with lots of Engleheart. It read pretty well for its age and made me even more excited for Norrin's new adventures.

-Pav, who does think Dan Slott needs to limit the goofy in favor of the profound...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I'm glad you're all enjoying Slott's take on the Silver Surfer. I'm unfortunately not, but I am glad there are those out there who do. I love the style the book is done in, I just don't like that style for this book. The indie style does wonders for a lot of books, but it just doesn't do it for me on SS.

I wish we had more books in the vein as Surfer's book from the late 80's-90's, Warlock & the Infinity Watch, Valentino's GoTG, etc.

Anyway, some great Silver Surfer stories. I'd read the first year by Englehart and Rogers involving the Elders of the Universe trying to snuff out Galactus. Wonderful. I'd also suggest Starlin's run, with Marz run right after. All of those hold a very special place in my heart.

Someone who I think would do a wonderful job on this title would be Hickman, Waid, Abnett or Lanning, and Fialkov. I think I'd love to see someone like Carlos Pacheco or Chris Batista on this book.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 06-25-2014 at 09:07 PM.

Not enjoying new SS at all. In the beginning, my animosity was mostly related to art, but the writing successfully established itself as worse of the two.

Extraordinary Member

I'm surprised, I haven't read it just yet

Fantastic Member AnimalSquabbles's Avatar

I love Thanos and I'm a big fan of SS. I've read his first appearance in FF. ive read Requiem and the cosmic power series. i own the entire Starlin run and it's probably my favorite run in all of comics. I have tons of other issues and appearances. SS arguably has the greatest origin in marvel. Infact, SS is the only "good guy hero" character ive ever liked...

With that said, i cannot believe anyone likes the current all new now Silver Surfer. One of Marvels most powerful characters with a deep routed and well written origin and ties to 3 out of the top 5 most powerful villains... Is just hanging around at hotel dinner parties in space with an earth girl calling his board "toomie"???!? Really?!?

There's Galactus being sent to the ultimate universe, thanos returning in the infinity event, the incursions, the cosmic murder mystery of the Watcher. Where is SilverSurfer in all of this?! He's watching "cosmic sting rays" at some dinner party with his gf from earth.
    Last edited by AnimalSquabbles; 06-26-2014 at 06:13 AM.

Silver Surfer used to do this all the time. He travels and visits places and gets caught up in whatever is going on. He has major wanderlust. It's who he is. It's not like Slott is ignoring his history. In Annihilation he returned as Galactus herald, and regressed away from his humanity. After the incident with Thor he was depowered slightly and left to regain that lost humanity. He doesn't just seek out wars to fight and evil to vanquish. He surfs the infinite and adventure finds him. In the 90's he was caught in conflict due to the prodding of others like Thanos, Warlock, etc.

The new book is taking his concept and having fun with it while also remaining true to continuity

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalSquabbles View Post
    i cannot believe anyone likes the current all new now Silver Surfer.
    Statements like this tend to say more about the speaker than what's being spoken about.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    The new book is taking his concept and having fun with it while also remaining true to continuity
    Agreed. Reading the new series alongside Essential Silver Surfer 2 was quite interesting because I can quite easily see how closely Slott is sticking to the formula of "good, established SS comics" - Norrin as cerebral explorer, both lighthearted and serious overtones, etc - but also where Slott is changing, updating, maybe even improving what had been the status quo. (For example, Surfer was super whiny back in the day.)

Are there things Slott could do better? Sure. Personally, I'm not a fan of the "silvering down" (though he didn't create that) and overall I think I'd prefer a little less out-and-out wackiness. But I'm very satisfied with the first three issues and hope we get at least a couple years' worth of stories from this creative team.

-Pav, who can believe...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

BANNED

Surfer becoming a beach surfer dude ? Well , he can put his surfboard finally to good use.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Well after what seems like months I just read SS #3.

Loved it of course! The monkey on the cover freaks me out, I am glad it was just a heart lol

I keep thinking I am going to hate these issues but I love them. Slott is killing it. Anyone that enjoys Hawkeye & Daredevil should enjoy this book as well.

I just hope the sales continue or go up... I don't want this journey to end

Now that I know the meaning behind Dawn thinking the Surf Board had a name, I am all for it. Love Dawn and look forward to her and SS's continued adventures!

With upcoming appearences from the Guardians and the Defenders, it would be great to have a run in with either Mantis or a resolution to the Frankie Raye subplot. She showed up in the last issue of Fearless Defenders, and it was never explained if its the real Frankie or not.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Yes, I would love a Nova appearance, but a Mantis appearance would make my day!

No offense Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I'm glad you're all enjoying Slott's take on the Silver Surfer. I'm unfortunately not, but I am glad there are those out there who do. I love the style the book is done in, I just don't like that style for this book. The indie style does wonders for a lot of books, but it just doesn't do it for me on SS.

I wish we had more books in the vein as Surfer's book from the late 80's-90's, Warlock & the Infinity Watch, Valentino's GoTG, etc.

Anyway, some great Silver Surfer stories. I'd read the first year by Englehart and Rogers involving the Elders of the Universe trying to snuff out Galactus. Wonderful. I'd also suggest Starlin's run, with Marz run right after. All of those hold a very special place in my heart.

Someone who I think would do a wonderful job on this title would be Hickman, Waid, Abnett or Lanning, and Fialkov. I think I'd love to see someone like Carlos Pacheco or Chris Batista on this book.
    Shadowcat, I actually found this thread after reading your comments on the Art at Marvel thread, mostly because I agreed with you there but wanted to talk specifically about SS. I am really not interested in the most recent versions of SS. But the exact issues you described were the best, epic stories of SS. Galactus vs In-Betweener will always remain one of my fav battles in comics. I also enjoyed Ron Lim but over time I think he drew too much or got lazy and it showed in the comics.

Wouldn't it be awesome to see Starlin do a SS series? How about Jim Lee? I know he is carbon-bonded to DC now, but I really love his SS work:

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Well....I'm one of the ones who is enjoying this new SS. I just picked it up on a whim since I've always liked the Silver Surfer but never really read anything outside of FF. Any recommendations on previous books to pick up?