Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler53 View Post
    Thank you for referencing my favorite Spider-Man issue EVER ASM 33 "The Final Chapter." The biggest mistake that villains and even heroes make when it comes to Spider-Man (except the FF who know him best) is they underestimate him. Which is why I detested 'Superior' and OMD and him surrendering. MJ (when written properly such as in RYV) is the same way, I think of that beat down of the Spider-Slayer. Even though she has no super-powers she is tough (to be married to someone so unique as Peter Parker requires it), and is relentless. Annie comes from that same stock and how she performed should shock no one. Will this version of the Parkers return? Of course. Why? Because although RYV was acclaimed, sold well and none of the three were killed off (especially MJ). RYV #5 was mostly a MJ and Annie Story, and basically showed that you can have a great Spider-Man comic WITH a married Pete and MJ (because MJ can play a major role in assisting Pete), and why OMD was the single biggest mistake in Spider-Man History (Clone Saga and Sins Past included). Thank you to Dan Slott for creating Annie and by bringing back MJ properly. I cannot wait to see them again.
    You know, your post reminded me of Peters Parents, having a child, Peter ,as well. I don't know why, but I got an image of Mary and Richard Parker doing just what happened in RYV, and then handing Peter over to Uncle Ben and Aunt May, because they had to go on an even more dangerous mission they wouldn't take Peter on. It's an interesting thought to show a series of Mary, Richard and Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Read this again last night. My favorite part is "Face it Regent, you just hit the jackpot!" Everything in the book made total sense to me. Regent lost his spider-sense when Peter broke loose. Thats how Annie was able to punk him with the inhibitor arrow. Thats why Regent so desperately wanted spider-sense. It really is that good of a power.
    I've only seen Jackpot once so far in Battleworld, so why not hand the name to the real owner, not leave it with Sera.

While this gets points for giving a happy ending, it doesn't seem to have any real implications for what's coming after Secret Wars as was promised, but that's not exactly a surprise.

Not to mention, like Spider-Verse before it, the ending seemed rather rushed and contrived to wrap things up. It feels like Slott wrote himself into a corner making Regent (who has no characterisation except 'figures Spider-Sense will let him fight God Doom because...reasons') uberpowerful to artificially amp up the stakes.

I mean, I don't hate the whole thing like I did Spider-Verse, but the ending let the whole story down. I mean the characterisation (regent aside was good), but the narrative fell flat and I'll be honest the dialogue was a bit stale. In particular it read like it was trying to emulate Stan's writing, but only the man himself can really pull that off.

I'll be honest, when I think married Spidey, I think JMD or JMS. When I think of Peter Parker as a family man, I think of DeFalco & Frenz (in both 'Spider-Girl' and 'Mr. & Mrs. Spider-Man'). This story, while very good, isn't exactly going to be a 'most definitive' story in either of those categories. It's only the fact this is the first book to address the marriage since OMD that makes it distinctive in that regard.

I guess this comes across as rather negative, but over all I'd give it 7/10. The plotting was a bit shaky (mainly due to Regent having the charisma of cardboard) & collapsed at the end but the characterisation shows that Peter & Mary Jane, when written well, can be the glue that holds a story together. As for Annie, she's no Mayday, but she's still a fine daughter of Spider-Man.

So, we now officially know that spoilers:
    Regent
    end of spoilers is the carry-over from RYV.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    So, we now officially know that spoilers:
    Regent
    end of spoilers is the carry-over from RYV.
    I suppose it's logical, it's not like the management would allow anything else. spoilers:
    Too bad he's pretty much the worst part of the book
    end of spoilers.
    Last edited by Yvonmukluk; 10-09-2015 at 03:59 AM.