Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Andrew Garfield Hopes To Eventually See "A Pansexual Spider-Man"

The former Peter Parker actor says "everyone thinks it could be them in that suit" and wants the wall-crawler to reflect our diverse population.

Full article here.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

It'd be nice, but too many fanboys would scream LGBT takeover over it.

Plus, Marvel had an appalling record of representing LGBT characters in big franchises so I doubt they'd ever do this, they're still dragging their feet on representing women and people of colour, LGBT people are way down the list for Marvel.

P
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    ...they're still dragging their feet on representing women and people of colour, LGBT people are way down the list for Marvel.
    Wait. Have you read or looked at Marvel Comics lately? Captain America is black, Hulk is Asian, Thor is a woman, Spider-Man is black, Ms. Marvel is a Muslim female, and the majority of the New Avengers are minorities.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Gorn Identity View Post
    PWait. Have you read or looked at Marvel Comics lately? Captain America is black, Hulk is Asian, Thor is a woman, Spider-Man is black, Ms. Marvel is a Muslim female, and the majority of the New Avengers are minorities.
    It's still not actually close to proper representation, it's better yeah, better than what DC are doing but it's still quite a small number of people represented compared to what Image and co are doing.

Baby steps for women and people of colour, no progress for LGBT representation.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

I think I've heard enough of what Andrew Garfield has to say on anything.
    Miller was right.

It's still not actually close to proper representation, it's better yeah, better than what DC are doing but it's still quite a small number of people represented compared to what Image and co are doing.

Yeah but the market can only support so many books. And I think if you take that into account there is a huge amount of representation at Marvel. The examples given plus female Wolverine pretty much covers all the solo books that can support more than a limited run.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    That was kinda my thought too. Nobody cared what he had to say when he was Spidey why do we suddenly care when he isn't. Also it's pretty easy to make bold statements and predictions about a franchise you aren't a part of anymore. Bet you he didn't want a pan sexual Spidey when he actually had the role.

Incredible Member

That's pretty...gay

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

What would be the point?

All-New Member

I'd settle for a trans-gender spider-girl...

This sums it up most accurately.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

I thought Sony could not mess with Parker being a hetro? Unless he is fighting Eros or a villian were it makes sense I do not thinkwe need that from Spidy Marvel has gay heros if they choose to show any.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    That was kinda my thought too. Nobody cared what he had to say when he was Spidey why do we suddenly care when he isn't. Also it's pretty easy to make bold statements and predictions about a franchise you aren't a part of anymore. Bet you he didn't want a pan sexual Spidey when he actually had the role.
    because he was the former spider-man. they've done this to many actors who have played their former roles. andrew is really no different from them.

Incredible Member

Yeah, I'm with you on this. While I fully support and hope for more LGBT representation, this isn't the first time Garfield has said something like this. I feel like he's trying to stay relevant to Spider-Man at this point, even though everybody else has moved on. Plus, as somebody else said, I'm pretty sure one of the stipulations Sony was given that came out during the hacked emails was that Peter Parker/Spider-Man needs to be heterosexual, so...

Could there be a pansexual Spider-Man? Sure. A pansexual Peter Parker? I can't see that happening, and it seems like the wrong way to go about things on top of that. Why obviously change an existing character for the sake of diversity when you can establish a new one to better suit the purpose, much like they did with Miles Morales?

All New Iceman is gay, and his older counterpart will now likely be also. Miss America Chavez is in the Ultimates, Wiccan and Hulkling are in The Avengers. It's not huge but it's still definitely progress, and I believe it will continue to build.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«