Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fantastic Member

This looks amazing! Great to see a certain B.P.R.D. character making another appearance.
    Last edited by zerodemon; 12-27-2015 at 03:14 AM.

I can't believe they didn't call it Hellboy Christmas Special #2. Oh well.

Picked this up today. First two stories served as interesting previews for upcoming arcs, while telling a decent short story themselves. Last two seemed more like Weird Tales kind of jokey stories. Whole thing was pretty fun

I'd say the 1953 tale was my favorite

I loved the Lobster story at the end! That was great.

The rest were also very fun. I'd love to get 'specials' like this more regularly.

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I loved the Lobster story at the end! That was great.

The rest were also very fun. I'd love to get 'specials' like this more regularly.
    What?! There's a Lobster story in this!
    Man, I wish I'd had time to go to the comic store today...

Yes, but it's just a fun little gag at the end.

I loved reading this. I too liked the 1953 tale the most

The Claw of Justice!

That Lobster story was... really strange. I did like it, though.
    I think my favorite of the other stories was the Gal Dennar one. Tim Sale was the artist of many of my favorite comics when I was younger, so it was fun to see him do something Hellboy-related.
    I was glad that I was able to grab the Mike Mignola variant cover.

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    That Lobster story was... really strange. I did like it, though.
    Cracked me up. I'm really glad they took an opportunity to include something so un-mignola.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    Picked this up today. First two stories served as interesting previews for upcoming arcs, while telling a decent short story themselves. Last two seemed more like Weird Tales kind of jokey stories. Whole thing was pretty fun

I'd say the 1953 tale was my favorite
    i picked this up yesterday but havent read it yet. ive been interested in reading hellboy for a while but wasnt sure where would be a good place to start. i dont really have the budget to back track too much so thats made it tough too. i decided to grab this since its only $4 and even if it ended up being a standalone thing, i would at least get to read a hellboy story. since the first two stories are acting as arc previews, do you think this will be a good place to jump in?

i was thinking about jumping into hellboy in hell but never did end up trying it. the only thing iver ever read was what i believe to be the original #1 in $1 format

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I loved this, I think my favorite was the Liz story.

Quote Originally Posted by rellum View Post
    i picked this up yesterday but havent read it yet. ive been interested in reading hellboy for a while but wasnt sure where would be a good place to start. i dont really have the budget to back track too much so thats made it tough too. i decided to grab this since its only $4 and even if it ended up being a standalone thing, i would at least get to read a hellboy story. since the first two stories are acting as arc previews, do you think this will be a good place to jump in?

i was thinking about jumping into hellboy in hell but never did end up trying it. the only thing iver ever read was what i believe to be the original #1 in $1 format
    "Hellboy and the BPRD" is a good place to jump in. It's stories set in his early years. 1952 is complete and out in trade, 1953 is only two issues in.

"Hellboy in Hell" is great, and only 8 (of 10) issues in. It can be read alone, but obviously it's better if you've read all the Hellboy before it.

The 1953 story at least should be an easy one as a starting place. And as stated above the Hellboy and the BPRD series is pretty new and since it covers his earliest missions, can be read detached from anything else pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    "Hellboy and the BPRD" is a good place to jump in. It's stories set in his early years. 1952 is complete and out in trade, 1953 is only two issues in.

"Hellboy in Hell" is great, and only 8 (of 10) issues in. It can be read alone, but obviously it's better if you've read all the Hellboy before it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    The 1953 story at least should be an easy one as a starting place. And as stated above the Hellboy and the BPRD series is pretty new and since it covers his earliest missions, can be read detached from anything else pretty easily.
    Agreed on the "Hellboy & the B.P.R.D." series seeming a good jumping on point.

As I recall it was specifically presented by mr Mike Mignola as wordedly being a good jumping-on-point, in a CBR interview feature when the series was launched, starting at 1952.

Eventhough I'll have been a reader eversince Hellboy appeared as of 1993 (1994 in my case actually), the "Hellboy & the B.P.R.D." series appear especially telling and convenient toward how developments for characters may prove to being as particular as they'd be within any of the stories, in any of the books and series.

For instance, in the first published Hellboy mini-series, being "Seed Of Destruction" immediately stuff happened as proving particular, yet it also wouldn't neededly be proving the end-all or begin-all jumping-on-point - eventhough it would be the first published mini nonetheless.

Just like how a title like "Hellboy: the Lost Army" would prove to being a 'flashback'-tale, eventhough some of the stories before it may also be proving such or as being to contain them.

Or how besides the 'first missions' as with the B.P.R.D. functioning as a Bureau there would also be earlier published story parts both as an entire mini involving the Bureau's origin to quite an extent.

To say how nifty specific perspectives may prove in Hellboy's world, for any and all types of readers alike. So welcome, rellum, and happy reading, all!
    Last edited by Kees_L; 01-31-2016 at 04:52 PM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper