Page 182 of 254 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183184185186192232 ... LastLast
Results 2,716 to 2,730 of 3801
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Troian View Post
    Well Gal in question either: A) doesn't have much (if any) armpit hair to begin with or B) shaves regularly because most of the pics and videos where her armpits are visible they are usually virtually hair free. The other women on the cast are probably on the same boat as Gal as far as armpit hair goes. Technically speaking, one would assume due to the ethnicity and backgrounds of the other actresses they probably would not have much body hair.
    Sure, many people don't have a lot of body hair. That's a fair point. But, many people do have noticeable body hair, including women. Do I think this is a big deal? No. But, the complaints about the complaints are making a bigger deal out of it, too. Never thought I'd see so many people anxious to defend WW's lack of armpit hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Troian View Post
    ... It's overreactions like this and the vocal minority that is SJWs that make me realize how unfortunate American feminism has been stereotyped to and become.
    If super heroine armpit hair is American feminism's biggest problem, then, we're in pretty good shape.
    Last edited by Awonder; 03-19-2017 at 08:25 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Well for one thing, we hardly know the Amazons were really HIS idea. We know he asked Aphrodite to create a race to counter Ares. It's possible that the entire "design" of the Amazons was Aphrodite's idea. Zeus said "Make a new race." Aphrodite said "Okay! They're going to be all women, they're going to be immortal, and they're going to be more badass than any man!" Something like that.
    You're absolutely right, that we don't know the details. But, according to the chatter, we do know it's Zeus's idea. That alone is taking something in the story from the goddesses so they can put the big guy's name on it instead. Can't have those goddesses acting independently; such a terrible idea for a WW movie.

And for better or worse, THIS Zeus is apparently not an abusive serial rapist, sooooo.....
    Of course. Can't have a feminist character point out just how anti-feminist the poster boy for patriarchy has been and still is. Much more convenient to wash away his sins and pretend he's been benevolently looking out for us all along. *puke*

Please Note: My sarcasm isn't directed at you, nor meant to be personal, especially since I know we share many of the same general concerns/criticisms. I just don't share your optimism about it.
    Last edited by Awonder; 03-19-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Had to delete a couple of posts.

And yes, a silly post about Gal Gadot's (lack of) hair is more on topic than a general post about activism.

Good rule of thumb. If on a thread about "Gal Gadot Stars in Wonder Woman Movie, your reply does not contain either "Gal Gadot" or "Wonder Woman movie" you are probably off topic.

Thank you

Well for one thing, we hardly know the Amazons were really HIS idea. We know he asked Aphrodite to create a race to counter Ares. It's possible that the entire "design" of the Amazons was Aphrodite's idea. Zeus said "Make a new race." Aphrodite said "Okay! They're going to be all women, they're going to be immortal, and they're going to be more badass than any man!" Something like that.
    If that's the case then it would be reflective of WW's own real life creation. A man (William Moulton Marston) came up with a rough concept for the superhero character and originally planned it to be the default male, but then a woman (Marston's wife, Elizabeth Holloway) suggested the revolutionary idea of making the superhero a woman instead.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    If that's the case then it would be reflective of WW's own real life creation. A man (William Moulton Marston) came up with a rough concept for the superhero character and originally planned it to be the default male, but then a woman (Marston's wife, Elizabeth Holloway) suggested the revolutionary idea of making the superhero a woman instead.
    I'm no expert, but as I understand him, Marston was quite the outspoken critic that he should have more career opportunities than his wife simply for being male. Seventy-five years later, in the first live-action movie of his creation, the idea for the creation of the Amazons is taken from a women to give credit to a man.

Marston also defended the idea that if Women were to dominate the world, the world itself would be a better place. His Wonder Woman was a a propaganda for a new archetype of women to serve as a model.

Quote Originally Posted by enish View Post
    Marston also defended the idea that if Women were to dominate the world, the world itself would be a better place. His Wonder Woman was a a propaganda for a new archetype of women to serve as a model.
    I thought that was what I had read over the years about his Wonder Woman design. It was all about 'woman' as a source of caring, self-sacrifice through dedication to general life over individual needs and purposeful action to protect those in need. So rather than the male-based hero that was about vengeance or excessive show of force, it was a shift in design for the media.

From what we have seen so far from the SDCC teaser to the latest trailers, Patty Jenkins very much wants that to be the foundation of the movie. And from any interviews, Gal Gadot is right there with her aiming for the same message and portrayal. Give us more of that!

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    Seventy-five years later, in the first live-action movie of his creation, the idea for the creation of the Amazons is taken from a women to give credit to a man.
    Frankly, I think it would be more interesting if Zeus asks Aphrodite to create a warrior race that combats the wanton destruction brought about by Ares's influence, but Aphrodite subverts Zeus's expectations of what such a race may be by producing a warrior race of only women who are meant to spread messages of peace, love and harmony in order to heal the world. It would not only be an imaginative nod to Elizabeth Holloway's important contribution to the creation of Wonder Woman, but it would also underscore the spirit of femininity that Marston believed in and why he thought "feminine traits" had the potential to be far more productive than harmful "masculine traits".
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 03-20-2017 at 03:42 AM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Gal asking about the men walking out of the scene: such a cinnamon roll

Frankly, I think it would be more interesting if Zeus asks Aphrodite to create a warrior race that combats the wanton destruction brought about by Ares's influence, but Aphrodite subverts Zeus's expectations of what such a race may be by producing a warrior race of only women who are meant to spread messages of peace, love and harmony in order to heal the world. It would not only be an imaginative nod to Elizabeth Holloway's important contribution to the creation of Wonder Woman, but it would also underscore the spirit of femininity that Marston believed in and why he thought "feminine traits" had the potential to be far more productive than harmful "masculine traits".
    Zeus the same serial rapist and mysoginist? Oh really?

let women take charge and do their own thing at least once. That is why Wonder Woman exists

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    I'm no expert, but as I understand him, Marston was quite the outspoken critic that he should have more career opportunities than his wife simply for being male. Seventy-five years later, in the first live-action movie of his creation, the idea for the creation of the Amazons is taken from a women to give credit to a man.
    Right? Really look like we are on man's world;
    Last edited by spirit2011; 03-20-2017 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Zeus the same serial rapist and mysoginist? Oh really?

let women take charge and do their own thing at least once.
    Lol a bit rich coming from someone who spent multitudes of pages on the X-Board trying to put down a strong, powerful woman character who bucks conventional norms of femme sexuality and morality

Lol a bit rich coming from someone who spent multitudes of pages on the X-Board trying to put down a strong, powerful woman character who bucks conventional norms of femme sexuality and morality
    Just a bad stereotype that people try to pass as feminist. see the backlash on Iron fist because they did similar qith another acharacter

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Just a bad stereotype that people try to pass as feminist. see the backlash on Iron fist because they did similar qith another acharacter
    I'm pretty sure that's not why Iron Fist is receiving the backlash And Emma Frost has evolved into one of comic's most interesting women since New X-Men.

It's hilarious that you would pull down the White Queen while simultaneously propping up the Greek Goddesses, who have committed a number of atrocities against less fortunate women, as figures of pristine feminism.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 03-20-2017 at 08:19 AM.