Page 19 of 254 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 3801
  1. #271
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Well, she's apparently strong enough to be thrown into a concrete pillar by someone of, seemingly, Superman level strength and have it do nothing more than cause her to have a mildly irritated look on her face...

    I just don't see Xena. I mean, I get what people are talking about and if you're young enough that Xena was more popular at the time, that might be what you associate it with, but Wonder Woman came first. They're both steeped in Greek mythology and many believed that Xena was just a rip off of Wonder Woman to begin with, so there will be similarities.

    As for being "vindicated" in anyone's negative reactions, well, I guess kudos to you if you wanna take pride in having your negativity reinforced. This is a movie that has only been in production since November. They're still filming it. Much has yet to be done. They were never going to give us more than glimpses at footage they've shot and basically show us what we've already seen; Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. They're going to save more fantastical elements at least for the actual trailer for the movie. We can't even see an accurate depiction of her strength level here because she's fighting human soldiers. Wonder Woman would not use her full strength on them because one punch would turn them into a bloody smear. There's nothing here to actually reinforce negativity; Gal looks great, the few bits we saw looked beautifully shot and fairly epic in scale, and Wonder Woman can fight and ride a horse...Oh, and in the scene with her trying on the glasses there seems to be a sweetness to her...

    All good there. Nothing negative unless you wanna fabricate something.

  2. #272
    The Supreme Top Carnivore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Good point about WW being careful not to use her full powers on human soldiers. Exactly what I was thinking. And you're right, she ain't intimidated by Doomsday. So.
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

  3. #273
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,503

    Default

    Looks good to me... but I am keeping it on mute while at work... and it's Johns and Smith who I dont want to listen to.
    Think the horseback scene and the house fight might be Diana sneaking into an occupied village to save Steve as per tradition

    Regarding:
    Color and lighting: I do get the complaint that it looks very dark, but on the other hand I notice that much of the outdoor scenes are in the early morning hours... where there isn't much light to be had, especially not in the war-time forests of the 1920'ties.
    Lack of flight: Let me just say I suspected it would be the easy casualty to make Superman unique amongst peers aside from his heatvision, which he doesn't use all that often. But that said, if Diana can jump like Zod, thats ok and in regards to this movie, there are possibly other reasons for her to ride a horse. (Like not having to pass through several trees when jumping and landing)
    Xena comparison: Wonder Woman inspired Xena, not the other way around. But seriously, a woman should be able to mount a horse and swing a sword without this comparison coming up because this isn't like casting spells by speaking backwards... actually it did, because I dont recall anyone comparing Liv Tyler's Arwen to Xena when she did it.
    How she remained hidden: Like someone else said, there weren't that many camera's back then, and a quite alot of secrecy when it came to military matters. Also, it might just be that Diana only really goes out in uniform during the night and remains incognito during the day (as seen when she walks with the people on the bridge). Like the premise seems to be that she is in Man's World to prove both to her sisters and herself that Mans World is worth engaging, part of that requires her to be able to observe it without disturbing it. By point is that the premise of much of it taking place in the First World War leaves loads of room for her to have remained hidden from the public eye, leaving Batman to be the first 'vigilante' while Superman becomes the first well known superhero. It's a bit like the Snyder 'Wrath' character, been with the army for 50 years before he even meets Superman.

  4. #274
    Astonishing Member Doctor Know's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,951

    Default

    Fun with gifs.




  5. #275
    Incredible Member Majesty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    I really enjoyed what they've shown so far. But they are going to have to really emphasize her power and speed. I like they kept talking about it, but they are really going to have to show it, because her riding on her horse looked dangerously close to Xena.

    Just those scenes tho obviously. But this looks really good.

    Riding a Horse links her to Xena? Really?

  6. #276
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Riding a Horse links her to Xena? Really?
    I dont get that either, it's not like being able to ride a horse is something super unique.

  7. #277
    Incredible Member Majesty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    882

    Default

    And as far as her powers, what it showed was some of her fighting ability, but also more importantly how well she's pulling off the Diana aspect as well as the Wonder Woman aspect.

    And as far as "needing something supernatural" or needing her to show off her "god-like" powers. What do you take her for? Unprofessional?

    There's a difference between having power and knowing when and where and how to use it. If Diana wanted to punch a hole through Steve Trevor on their island when they met she could have done it. But SHE is a warrior, and the best fighter in the DC Universe. She isn't gonna show off her Superman level strength unless she has to, which we'll see plenty of in Batman v Superman when she has to help them fight Doomsday.

    But in World War 1 in such a setting she doesn't need to be bouncing all of these guys all over the place with her pinkie like it was Kung Fu Hustle?



    She knows precisely what she has to do to stop her foes, if she was unhinged and never held back 100% of the time against EVERYONE then she wouldn't be Diana, she wouldn't be disciplined and she never would have been trusted with the responsibility of being Wonder Woman.

    The more I see complaints like all of that the less I start to feel that some people truly understand about the character of Wonder Woman.

    In many ways that's the comics fault for NEVER being consistent with her, and every show outside of the Justice League animated one and the Wonder Woman movie ever getting her character right or consistent.

    Hopefully this movie finally sets in place some constants that people can refer to and a personality that people can understand at it's base level.

    Near lost it at "she's riding a horse. too much like Xena" ... but I get it.

    Guess who was riding horses before there was a Xena?



    heck even Lynda Carter did it




    Are we seriously gonna monopolize "Oh a woman riding a horse.. XENA!!!" to try to talk about Gal? Like seriously?

  8. #278
    The Supreme Top Carnivore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    And as far as her powers, what it showed was some of her fighting ability, but also more importantly how well she's pulling off the Diana aspect as well as the Wonder Woman aspect.

    And as far as "needing something supernatural" or needing her to show off her "god-like" powers. What do you take her for? Unprofessional?

    There's a difference between having power and knowing when and where and how to use it. If Diana wanted to punch a hole through Steve Trevor on their island when they met she could have done it. But SHE is a warrior, and the best fighter in the DC Universe. She isn't gonna show off her Superman level strength unless she has to, which we'll see plenty of in Batman v Superman when she has to help them fight Doomsday.

    But in World War 1 in such a setting she doesn't need to be bouncing all of these guys all over the place with her pinkie like it was Kung Fu Hustle?



    She knows precisely what she has to do to stop her foes, if she was unhinged and never held back 100% of the time against EVERYONE then she wouldn't be Diana, she wouldn't be disciplined and she never would have been trusted with the responsibility of being Wonder Woman.

    The more I see complaints like all of that the less I start to feel that some people truly understand about the character of Wonder Woman.

    In many ways that's the comics fault for NEVER being consistent with her, and every show outside of the Justice League animated one and the Wonder Woman movie ever getting her character right or consistent.

    Hopefully this movie finally sets in place some constants that people can refer to and a personality that people can understand at it's base level.

    Near lost it at "she's riding a horse. too much like Xena" ... but I get it.

    Guess who was riding horses before there was a Xena?



    heck even Lynda Carter did it




    Are we seriously gonna monopolize "Oh a woman riding a horse.. XENA!!!" to try to talk about Gal? Like seriously?

    Not to mention, WW was riding a horse in the very first solo issue of WW in the 1940s...umm, long before Xena.

    image.jpg
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

  9. #279
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The north.
    Posts
    1,386

    Default

    I quite liked the little sneak peek. They seem very confident in the take of the character. What she'll be about.

    Cool to hear that she can be both a warrior as well as very kind and loving. WW1 is a cool setting to test her beliefs in good.
    Last edited by borntohula; 01-20-2016 at 01:11 AM.

  10. #280
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    483

    Default

    So the hater's bone of contention now seems to be that we haven't yet seen her speak...which, of course, automatically means that Gal's an absolutely horrible actress and the Wonder Woman movie has been ruined and Hitler will return from the dead leading to WW III and the world will end in a fiery ball.

    I tend to think that it's a combination of a couple of other things; 1. They know we're waiting to hear her speak so they're not giving us what we want to build anticipation and 2. She is (hopefully) going to speak with an accent (as she should) and they know that there's a decent chance people will react negatively to it.

  11. #281
    Junior Member Predator JP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    285

    Default

    so far Gal looks so good as Wonderwoman it's unbelievable.

  12. #282
    Mighty Member richalex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Chi
    Posts
    1,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Riding a Horse links her to Xena? Really?
    I'm used to my Diana being able to fly, not much horseback riding when you can fly, ether by invisible jet or her own power. Though Perez had her riding around a little bit during her scenes on the Themyscira. But yeah, looked like Xena. Not that that is a bad thing.

    I think she's far more powerful than Captain American has been shown in his movies, as are the Amazons. Like what was mentioned earlier with being knocked back by Doomsday, or the scene where her and Clark and thrown back by Doomsday's heat vision. They both are sliding back at the same time. As for the more fantastic elements of her powers, I think her slamming The Ageis Gauntlets and us seeing that huge force of energy is really her, in the BvS scene. That wouldn't make much sense with Doomsday.
    Richard Alexander

  13. #283
    Mighty Member richalex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Chi
    Posts
    1,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Carnivore View Post
    Not to mention, WW was riding a horse in the very first solo issue of WW in the 1940s...umm, long before Xena.

    image.jpg
    It's really the fact she's riding a horse and attacking people with a sword. If she was riding a horse and swinging the Lasso of Truth, there would be no Xena comparisons, from me anyway.

    Anyway, I wish they went with her fighting was more like an art that she enjoyed. It would be nothing to her, maybe not so aggressive, unless she needed to utilize her full power against a Doomsday, but against those shoulders, she should do it with a smile and with grace. Like that scene with Diana fighting the White Monkeys in Gail Simone's first issue of Wonder Woman. It was almost a game to her.
    Richard Alexander

  14. #284
    Mighty Member richalex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Chi
    Posts
    1,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    So the hater's bone of contention now seems to be that we haven't yet seen her speak...which, of course, automatically means that Gal's an absolutely horrible actress and the Wonder Woman movie has been ruined and Hitler will return from the dead leading to WW III and the world will end in a fiery ball.

    I tend to think that it's a combination of a couple of other things; 1. They know we're waiting to hear her speak so they're not giving us what we want to build anticipation and 2. She is (hopefully) going to speak with an accent (as she should) and they know that there's a decent chance people will react negatively to it.
    Acting is far more than just speaking. Its body language as well, and so far Gal looks like she is nailing it.
    Richard Alexander

  15. #285
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    Acting is far more than just speaking. Its body language as well, and so far Gal looks like she is nailing it.
    Completely agree with you here.

    My main reason for being afraid of people's reactions to her accent is the "Fast and the Furious" franchise. Now, don't get me wrong, like all the actors in those films, I don't think Gal was overlooked for an Oscar or anything, but she was by no means bad. And if you know acting first hand as a performer, you could see that even with little experience, she has good instincts, she reacts well and she seems natural and comfortable in front of a camera.

    But still people complained about her being "wooden" which I didn't get but the best explanation I can come up with is her accent.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •