Page 10 of 254 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Not arguing at all that it should've been WW2 instead. My point in the previous post was that WW2 is given more emphasis than it should have already. The Lynda Carter show decided to be a period piece, and since then (because there's been so little live action Wonder Woman at all) some people have gotten the idea that Wonder Woman has to be in WW2. The original comics were published in the 1940s but the war isn't an essential piece of her mythology like it is to Captain America. I would'ved liked to see a Wonder Woman movie fully set in the present day.

I'll watch the movie and like it if it's well done. But to me it is a waste, if every supporting character from the WWI era is taken out of play from the sequels and confined to flashbacks. Getting one great Wonder Woman movie is a good thing. I just would've preferred several great Wonder Woman movies building up the same cast.
    Last edited by JimRaynor55; 11-14-2015 at 04:17 PM.

The thing with WW II is that in creating WW, Marston was echoing what was going on with the Woman's Movement at the time.

Diana was voicing what was in the public consciousness of the time.

Wacs
    Waves
    Rosie the Riviter

The dialogue of the book was the dialogue of the country at the time. She was not looked upon as an "historic" figure.

To place her in WWI loses the idea that she is at the forefront of a "current" movement. Now, DC may be choosing to make her the instigator of the suffrage movement, which would be something else.

But taking her out of WW II actually takes her out of an era where she, as a comicbook character, had actual real world consequences.

WWII is not necessarily an important part of WW's mythology, but WW IS an important part of the real Women's Movement in the 40's. And why not own that since it change our society.

BANNED

the WW 1 or WW 2 can be ways to avoid the actual feminism and women problems. sufragettes there is a movie about this already, so it can be more about the same.

I hope ww1 is more the open act and just flashbacks. I really don't believe pine sign up for trevor just die on first movie, so they will have to explain him on present time

Fantastic Member

I'm hoping the WWI stuff is more of an intro or early flashback. To me, the less time the movie dwells on the past, the better. If you believe the rumor filled articles out there (which could be false for all anyone knows), the WWI stuff will take up the first half of the movie, with the second half set in the present.

That to me would be an even bigger mistake than any simple choice of a time period. Splitting the movie with a massive time jump and cast turnover halfway through fragments the story. The story wouldn't be as tight, and there could be problems with build up and rising action. Imagine having to go through the process of introducing new characters and a new status quo more than an hour into the movie.

Whatever time period they choose to focus on, I think they need to commit to telling a story set mostly within it.

If they have to do a flashback WWII would be preferable but Captain America beat them to it. Plus WWII is pretty overused. I'm actually liking the idea of the WWI setting now that I think about it. It was kind of a world wide pointless blood bath. Something I can definitely see Ares creating.

The whole Steve Trevor in WWI thing is worrisome. Does he crash his little biplane on Paradise Island? I really hope they find a way for him to survive into modern day, or else we won't see him in a sequel. Does he live on Themyscira and become an immortal? Does he teleport to the present? Is he trapped in the Phantom Zone ? But having a soldier from the past appear in modern day as a fish out of water is way too close to Captain America (and even Thor).
    Last edited by Robotman; 11-14-2015 at 04:35 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    The thing with WW II is that in creating WW, Marston was echoing what was going on with the Woman's Movement at the time.

Diana was voicing what was in the public consciousness of the time.

Wacs
    Waves
    Rosie the Riviter

The dialogue of the book was the dialogue of the country at the time. She was not looked upon as an "historic" figure.

To place her in WWI loses the idea that she is at the forefront of a "current" movement.
    Excellent points, which better state some of the misgivings I have about too strongly tying Wonder Woman to the past.

The character stands for women's rights, tolerance, and peace, things which are still relevant today. People have made great progress since the 1940s, but violence and inequality still exists in ways that many people are too uncomfortable to acknowledge. If the WB wanted to be brave, they could make a female superhero movie that takes a stand on these modern issues instead of going after easy historical targets like Nazis or the lack of women's rights one hundred years ago.

Besides the feminist issues, I think Wonder Woman is a great character for classic stories about parent/child conflicts and coming of age. I've posted about this before (unfortunately the posts were lost when this forum was rebooted about a year ago) but I really think Wonder Woman can have great relevance for the current Millennial generation (early twenties to mid thirties). This is the generation that's been infamously raised under helicopter parenting, which kept living with its parents even into adulthood. The one that's more tolerant and socially conscious, and which wants to prove itself despite parental distrust and all of the current problems out there right now. The parallels between the Millennial experience, and Diana's cloistered beginnings on Paradise Island under her overprotective mother, seem quite obvious to me.

DC's growing world of TV shows (Arrow, Flash, and Supergirl) feature modern takes on their heroes that frequently touch on Millennial themes. Supergirl has been openly feminist, and last week's episode voiced many young adult concerns about growing up and proving your own competence and independence.

These shows do a great job of reaching out to younger viewers, and I think it'd be a mistake if the Wonder Woman movie didn't try to do the same.

LOTS of info here. And hmmm...Lennox maybe? What other "Superhero" might he be playing?

http://heroichollywood.com/home-1/20...of-photography
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Ah but WWI coincides beautifully with the suffragette movement, the women's right to vote, and the rise of a global conflict.

I like the idea myself - change of pace

How can D C convey the message that Diana is not some Johnny come lately, unless they show it?
    Showcasing Diana's arrival and impact on the world when the Earth needed a hero and women needed
    real inspiration and concrete support?

Batman vs Superman and from there Justice League will offer Wonder Woman plenty of time to fly and
    take numbers in the modern world, but at the end of the day with out her solo movie showcasing
    her start and impact, she is just another female with lots of powers and strong role model traits
    bumping shoulders with the likes of Supergirl and (soon) Captain Marvel.

Ultimate Member

Yeah I mean MOST superhero movies are in present-day, and I'm quite certain that a sequel (if the movie does well enough to get one) will be as well. This gives it it's own unique flavor, to stand out more (since it's never been done before to my knowledge). And a pointless four-year bloodbath in which tends of millions died needlessly sounds like:

-Something that Ares, and potentially even Circe, would definitely incite.
    -Something that Diana would be horrified by and try to stop.

Mighty Member

Looking past the "rights", perhaps the WW2 setting will be one of many to explore womens' struggle. Perhaps if Diana sees the battlefield from the perspective of the nurses? That'd would be quite effective IMO. 2015's noble price winner in literature Svetlana Aleksijevitj has written a fantastic book on the subject called The war's unwomanly face.

WW2 could also introduce Lennox as well as Diana witnessing the horror/sorrow of Ares.
    Last edited by borntohula; 11-15-2015 at 03:09 AM.

I too would favor WW I over II. It's a fresh breeze and it would make sense that the Amazons felt the impact if this war. Perhaps Diana is even considered Goddess of War in this? Who knows.
    Was is not also rumored that there will be three time periods? If they start with WW II, I would not mind them integrating the east-west-conflict.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    LOTS of info here. And hmmm...Lennox maybe? What other "Superhero" might he be playing?

Holy Cow- a 300 million dollar budget? I don't know whether to be thrilled by this or extremely worried. Okay, a bit of both I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post

UPDATE: It appears that something got lost in translation in regards to this interview. Our sources are telling us that Taghmaoui is playing one of the "good guys" in the film, not a superhero. Be sure to check back for further updates as they emerge.

Quote Originally Posted by gbshabo View Post
    Holy Cow- a 300 million dollar budget? I don't know whether to be thrilled by this or extremely worried. Okay, a bit of both I suppose.
    Thrilled, for sure.