Page 54 of 254 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast

LOL saying that a clay pot market is not the Paradise Island I was hoping for is not disrespecting an entire country. No, I didn't think they were going to build a 300 million dollar island. Sheesh. I think that market looks like it belongs in Azzarello's Themysciria as opposed to a highly futuristic island like in Jiminez's run or even like paradise in Earth One. They are probably going to be the trapped in the clay era Amazons of new 52. That's not paradise to me. Goodness, I'm sure Italy is gorgeous.

I always envisioned the Amazons living in a tropical paradise but again this is new 52 Diana not the other 70 years of Wonder Woman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfDiana View Post
    I always envisioned the Amazons living in a tropical paradise but again this is new 52 Diana not the other 70 years of Wonder Woman.
    Heaven forbid they looks like they belong in the proper time and place.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Heaven forbid they looks like they belong in the proper time and place.
    They're not in the proper place and time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    They're not in the proper place and time.
    Mediterranean climate with greco-roman architecture. They are in the right time and place from what I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamp_Lusa View Post
    They're showing a great deal of respect for your country, oh Great Greece, by shooting the film in Italy
    Oh, don't worry. I wasn't talking about the movie's producers. In fact, I love that they chose Basilicata for the Themiscyra setting.

Quote Originally Posted by willienotwilliam View Post
    themyscira and its architecture wasnt really based on much of ancient greek in fact neither were the amazons of the golden age which Paquette and Morrison were basing this version of the Amazons
    The fact every Paradise Island citizen in those comics (both Marston's and Morrison's) goes around in pepla and sandals, invokes people like Sappho and deities like Hera and still thinks that marble columns+epistyles are perfectly valid structural solutions pretty much invalidates your point. Those Themiscyras may be inspired by a warped concept of an ancient culture, but that culture is still unambiguously the Greek one.

Mighty Member

Mediterranean climate with greco-roman architecture. They are in the right time and place from what I can see.
    i think they are saying they want the amazons from the comics prior to the new 52 and that they dont like the new 52 version of themyscira

BANNED

i think they are saying they want the amazons from the comics prior to the new 52 and that they dont like the new 52 version of themyscira
    I know. I just dont agree that there's something wrong with Themysicra being depicted as a place people actually live in rather than as a themed holiday resort.
    Last edited by Outside_85; 04-25-2016 at 01:41 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    Oh, don't worry. I wasn't talking about the movie's producers. In fact, I love that they chose Basilicata for the Themiscyra setting.

The fact every Paradise Island citizen in those comics (both Marston's and Morrison's) goes around in pepla and sandals, invokes people like Sappho and deities like Hera and still thinks that marble columns+epistyles are perfectly valid structural solutions pretty much invalidates your point. Those Themiscyras may be inspired by a warped concept of an ancient culture, but that culture is still unambiguously the Greek one.
    no its an interpretation of greek myth and if you look at marston's designs while they had those robes they also had clothing that mirrored more recent clothing for women at the time. marston interpreted the greek myth differently as well giving, what i think, is more inspired takes on known ideals simply from telling the hercules story from the perspective of the amazons, to the sci-fi ish world of the amazons, and the sci fi like take on Ares who had a war world like planet.

if you look at the buildings things are mostly circular which really isnt something you'd see in ancient greek. to say its warped is to undermine marston mission, whether you liked it or not is one thing, but it wasnt warped it was very much something he took creative decisions to modernize and create a version of the Amazons and Greek mythology different than what we read from things created during those times.

Didn't they state the Amazons were older than Ancient Greek civilization?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Didn't they state the Amazons were older than Ancient Greek civilization?
    Doesn't stop them from living there, neither does it stop them from being the source of that civilization rather than simply a part of it.

Mighty Member

I know. I just dont agree that there's something wrong with Themysicra being depicted as a place people actually live in rather than as a themed holiday resort.
    i dont see how golden age or earth one version is a themed holiday resort every non hellinic version has been more of an advanced society
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 04-25-2016 at 01:50 PM.

BANNED

i dont see how golden age or earth one version is a themed holiday resort.
    When you look at it and realize the closest thing we have to it in the real world is called Disneyland.

Mighty Member

When you look at it and realize the closest thing we have to it in the real world is called Disneyland.
    yes disneyland with its beautiful seas and advanced technology definitely see that comparison

BANNED

yes disneyland with its beautiful seas and advanced technology definitely see that comparison
    Like you can see the advanced tech of the Amazons by looking at it's buildings.

Mighty Member

Like you can see the advanced tech of the Amazons by looking at it's buildings.
    if you look at earth one you definitely see women on flying motorbikes