Page 69 of 254 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119169 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 3801
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I love how you go right to Orana to try and prove your point and ignore the fact that Hippolyta, Steve and Etta are confirmed to be in this. And most likely Ares as the main villain, and possibly other Greek gods. And the likelihood that Anaya is playing Circe, Barbara Minerva, or some other big WW name character.

The lack of Invisible Jet does not equal WW getting slighted. A sizable chunk of the fanbase hates it. I'm not one of them, but I'm not too upset either. Everything else, like her costume, tools, origin, major supporting cast, and ties to Greek myth are there. Your stance that the DCEU is also slighting her due to BvS doesn't make sense either. That was probably the best instance of a female hero doing something in a CBM since ever. She was powerful, not objectified (meanwhile, Clark and Bruce catered to the female gaze in several scenes), and got to hold her own against a really impressive opponent instead of fighting a weaker one or having a Designated Chick Fight like Gamora vs. Nebula. She's not as powerful as Superman, but that's been true since the dawn of time, so there's no sense in complaining about it now. She doesn't need to be in order to be an impressive heavy hitter.
    I think you're forgetting Scarlet Witch and Jean Grey. Way I see it, Wonder Woman, the indisputable Queen of Superherodom, making her big hollywood debut, deserved VIP treatment. Instead she was given a measly 7 minutes that were both short and inconsequential and on top of that, it wasn't even well-thought-out. Basically she was crowbarred into the script and that's the truth of the matter. The fight scene was almost unintelligible, I couldn't see anything, she didn't do anything actually other than keep Doomsday occupied while Souperman was having a chat with Lois Lame. Her cameo looked to me like an half-empty glass, of pickle juice, she deserved way more

Ultimate Member

It's called and "adaptation" for a reason. It's not going to be exactly like the comics, these films almost never are. Thing's are going to be change for various reasons, which is ok as long as said changes are interesting in their own right. And frankly, I wouldn't want it to be 100% exactly like the comics, that'd be boringly predictable. If I want to see that story, then I'll read the comics. Taking the basic elements, and spirit, or the source material, and then building your own story around them, is the right way to go imo.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pamp_Lusa View Post
    I think you're forgetting Scarlet Witch and Jean Grey. Way I see it, Wonder Woman, the indisputable Queen of Superherodom, making her big hollywood debut, deserved VIP treatment. Instead she was given a measly 7 minutes that were both short and inconsequential and on top of that, it wasn't even well-thought-out. Basically she was crowbarred into the script and that's the truth of the matter. The fight scene was almost unintelligible, I couldn't see anything, she didn't do anything actually other than keep Doomsday occupied while Souperman was having a chat with Lois Lame. Her cameo looked to me like an half-empty glass, of pickle juice, she deserved way more
    Scarlet Witch doesn't do anything except cause more problems, doesn't have a real costume and her powers (as far as I'm aware) got altered. She's a terrible example. Jean sounds like she fares better in Apocalypse (thank god), but there is still the stain of Last Stand.

Wonder Woman isn't above having her big screen debut happen as a guest appearance, especially since her spin off film went into production way before BvS even came out, and they always had her planned on being in multiple films . And when that 7 minutes of screen time is still hailed as being the one element of the film almost everyone likes, clearly they were doing something right.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-16-2016 at 05:00 PM.

All evidence points to Wonder Woman being the daughter of Zeus and Antiope's never been, as far as I'm aware, Diana's tutor, she was the founder of the Bana-Mighdall, like, she didn't even live in Themyscira. Her costume is brown (ish) and she looks like Xena, her tiara has a wind rose on it, they sidelined the lasso in favor of the sword & shield and she's probably earthbound. Re: personality, Wonder Woman's never turned her back on humankind, she doesn't talk or dress like that and she would never slather 17 layers of makeup on her face, like ever.
    Sooooo in otherwords, if it isn't the Perez origin, and version of the costume, then its wrong? GOTCHA Now I get it.

Antiope wasn't in Marston's version, yet we just got a version in the Legend of Wonder Woman, where Diana DID Growup on the island with Antiope, yet in the new 52, Antiope was her grandmother. (OF course the Finch's couldn't even keep their own continuity straight, but I digress.)
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-16-2016 at 04:59 PM.
    Richard Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    Sooooo in otherwords, if it isn't the Perez origin, and version of the costume, then its wrong? GOTCHA Now I get it. :ROLLSEYES::

Antiope wasn't in Marston's version, yet we just got a version in the Legend of Wonder Woman, where Diana DID Growup on the island with Antiope, yet in the new 52, Antiope was her grandmother. (OF course the Finch's couldn't even keep their own continuity straight, but I digress.)
    Honestly, any writer can do whatever they want with Antiope and I don't think a single WW fan would care. She's an ancillary character who they can experiment with without risk of offending a diehard fanbase.

Personally, I like the idea of her living on the island instead of going the Bana Mighdall route. Also kind of a weird how it worked out that both the film and LoWW made it so that Antiope and Melanippe are the aunts that live on Paradise Island. Morrison also has multiple Amazon cities on his Paradise Island, and I wonder if Antiope governs New Sparta (where Artemis and Troia live). Antiope being Artemis's mother is also mentioned in that one scholastic book, so it would be cool if that could be happening post-Rebirth as well.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-16-2016 at 05:00 PM.

Be civil, folks. Discuss the topic, not each other.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

This may have been covered already but I was just wondering how they might address the giving of the title 'Wonder Woman' to Diana - in the film. I'm thinking, because it's set in the 1910's there may be more of an ease to just say that the Media of the day - young lads screaming 'extra,extra - read all about it' from dusty street corners - might lend itself to some newspaper headline spouting 'Amazing Wonder Woman Saves Battleship'

And no doubt Gal will roll her eyes at the mere mention of the name. Or maybe Diana is a member of a crack Amazon squad called the Wonder Women - of which she is eventually the remaining member..?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Scarlet Witch doesn't do anything except cause more problems, doesn't have a real costume and her powers (as far as I'm aware) got altered. She's a terrible example. Jean sounds like she fares better in Apocalypse (thank god), but there is still the stain of Last Stand.

Wonder Woman isn't above having her big screen debut happen as a guest appearance, especially since her spin off film went into production way before BvS even came out, and they always had her planned on being in multiple films . And when that 7 minutes of screen time is still hailed as being the one element of the film almost everyone likes, clearly they were doing something right.
    She stood out in a movie that many deemed drab and boring, that's hardly complimentary, and largely thanks to Junkie XL's score, that theme can make watching paint dry seem epic

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    Sooooo in otherwords, if it isn't the Perez origin, and version of the costume, then its wrong? GOTCHA Now I get it.

They can take a bit of artistic license with Wonder Woman but at the same time I think they've maybe gone a little too far in their effort to streamline the character, I mean what I'm reading here and there is there's no invisible plane, no colors, no joy, no happy ending and I wouldn't hold by breath for the purple ray, super-saiyan-mode or anything too out of the ordinary. Wonder Woman can't even handle a rudimentary gatling gun with her bracelets, nah we can't have that either. Well I hope they're saving the good news

Quote Originally Posted by blueray View Post
    This may have been covered already but I was just wondering how they might address the giving of the title 'Wonder Woman' to Diana - in the film. I'm thinking, because it's set in the 1910's there may be more of an ease to just say that the Media of the day - young lads screaming 'extra,extra - read all about it' from dusty street corners - might lend itself to some newspaper headline spouting 'Amazing Wonder Woman Saves Battleship'

And no doubt Gal will roll her eyes at the mere mention of the name. Or maybe Diana is a member of a crack Amazon squad called the Wonder Women - of which she is eventually the remaining member..?
    Well originally, the Amazons themselves named Diana Wonder Woman and she brought the title with her when she arrived in Man's World. So maybe we'll be getting something like that.

They can take a bit of artistic license with Wonder Woman but at the same time I think they've maybe gone a little too far in their effort to streamline the character, I mean what I'm reading here and there is there's no invisible plane, no colors, no joy, no happy ending and I wouldn't hold by breath for the purple ray, super-saiyan-mode or anything too out of the ordinary. Wonder Woman can't even handle a rudimentary gatling gun with her bracelets, nah we can't have that either. Well I hope they're saving the good news
    Aside from the Jet (and likely the Ray), there's really no way of knowing about the rest of it until we see the movie. And with the Jet and Ray, those have been inconsistent elements in her mythos since the Perez reboot back in the 80s.

The happy ending also depends on how we look at it. The main WWI story may end on a bittersweet note, but she's also coming back in the present day. The latter day scenes could end on a more uplifting note going forward.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

No Invisible Jet is better than a talking tiger...
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    *shudders*

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    It should be a lion, there is a golden age story about a talking lion. A talking tiger, to my knowledge, has no precedent in Wonder Woman lore.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Ultimate Member

Honestly that idea doesn't sound totally stupid imo, depending on how they'd do it. I mean there's actual stuff in Greek myth that's far weirder/more bizarre than that. Also Marvel made a talking space-Raccoon work (somehow). I don't think that a talking tiger/lion/gerbil/ whatever is that far out after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Honestly that idea doesn't sound totally stupid imo, depending on how they'd do it. I mean there's actual stuff in Greek myth that's far weirder/more bizarre than that. Also Marvel made a talking space-Raccoon work (somehow). I don't think that a talking tiger/lion/gerbil/ whatever is that far out after that.
    Rocket Raccoon worked because GOTG had a comedic tone. Wonder Woman chatting it up with a tiger would throw the audience completely out of the film.

I'm a little sad they aren't using the jet, but it's not make-or-break for me. She still has pretty much everything else.