Default Why no "The Fast & Furious" comics?

I'm surprised that comic books weren't produced yet. Assuming Marvel & DC weren't interested, Image, IDW, Dark Horse, etc. seemingly should have been actively competing for the license years ago.

That could be something that is done that continues the saga, and also even includes "untold tales" of the group members. They could deal with situations before the deaths of folks like Han and Gisele, and the "retirement" of Brian.
    One-shots and minis can be done based on Dom, Hobbs and the DSS, Brian's stints in the FBI, his teen years with Roman, the pre-story to part 4, etc.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 04-07-2015 at 07:31 PM.

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

It is a little surprising this hasn't happened yet. As big as this past weekend was I wouldn't be surprised to see something now or to launch with the next installment in a couple of years. You seem to be suggesting as much Star Wars stuff as Dark Horse had been doing up to this point which might be overkill, but certainly some fun could be had here. The franchise definitely has that over-the-top comic book feel to it.

Spectacular Member Nightcrawler92's Avatar

My only guess is because the movies are so damn closely connected with each other it will have to wait until the movies are finished. There aren't really any spots to fill in between films.
    Pull List:

DC: Flash, Justice Society, Green Lantern

Boom: Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers

Image: Undiscovered Country, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun

Marvel: Ultimate Spider-man, X-men, Daredevil, Iron man, Thor, Hulk

Have any creative (writers, artists) expressed interest? Has anybody done any pin-ups, commissions, pitch artwork? Vin Diesel's known for his comics affinity at this point. I wonder if anyone's brought it up to him in an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'm surprised that comic books weren't produced yet. Assuming Marvel & DC weren't interested, Image, IDW, Dark Horse, etc. seemingly should have been actively competing for the license years ago.

That could be something that is done that continues the saga, and also even includes "untold tales" of the group members. They could deal with situations before the deaths of folks like Han and Gisele, and the "retirement" of Brian.
    One-shots and minis can be done based on Dom, Hobbs and the DSS, Brian's stints in the FBI, his teen years with Roman, the pre-story to part 4, etc.
    I would say comics are just the wrong medium for it. Car chases are one thing that television and movies do extremely well that comics have a hard time capturing even on a mediocre level. The sounds, the frantic pacing, the sense of movement, it's all hard to compensate for in static images featuring automobiles. I know there's more to the stories than that, but it's in integral part of the concept. You might be able to get away with doing a mini-series, with plenty of time to get a top notch artist and writer to do it and work out overcoming the limitations of the medium, but I don't see it as being feasible for any kind of regular series. Batman has the cool Batmobile and modes of transportation, but you don't see him involved in those kind of chase and action scenes in the past couple of decades of the comics as much as he was in the last 3 movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Love View Post
    I would say comics are just the wrong medium for it. Car chases are one thing that television and movies do extremely well that comics have a hard time capturing even on a mediocre level. The sounds, the frantic pacing, the sense of movement, it's all hard to compensate for in static images featuring automobiles. I know there's more to the stories than that, but it's in integral part of the concept. You might be able to get away with doing a mini-series, with plenty of time to get a top notch artist and writer to do it and work out overcoming the limitations of the medium, but I don't see it as being feasible for any kind of regular series.
    Perhaps as a digital motion-comic it might be more feasible?

Also, even though the movies do well at the box office, who's to say how many of those movie goers also buy comic books? With the glut of movie properties that are already in comic books, could some companies feel it's not the right time to try it? And would the cost for the license perhaps be too expensive based on any anticipated returns for a comic book? Aside from Star Wars, how many copies of a strictly-movie-franchise-based comic book are likely to be sold?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I agree there are stories and gaps in the films where things could be explored. However I feel EdLove nails it, car chases just aren't very exciting in a comic and that's a dominant part of the action in these films. Sure you can add in some fisticuffs and drive by shootings I suppose.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised to one day see some F&F comics from a publisher like Dynamite or BOOM!
    It feels like a fit for one of those two better than some others.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Part of it might also be that Fast & Furious films have only relatively recently become popular with the comics audience? Ever since the franchise took a hard left from the earlier gritty self-serious tone and into the more comedic, over-the-top nature of the last 2 or 3 films, it feels like they've become a more respected franchise on entertainment news sites. Adding iconic actors like Jason Statham and Kurt Russell definitely helped with that.

Could be wrong, but maybe the overlap between FF fans and comic fans just isn't/wasn't big enough to make it viable.
    Honestly what surprises me more is that we haven't seen a big Need For Speed-esque video game; you could literally just produce NFS:Underground but add characters people know and you have an excuse for ridiculous stunts.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

I really have no idea. Furious 7 was literally a superhero movie.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers