Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who do you think it should be writing Avengers main book if Mark Waid wasn't in the book? What team?

I've been thinking a lot what would make me care about the Avengers after Hickman's departure, and one thought occurred to me: Marvel has the writer of one of the most popular and critically acclaimed team book writer on their payroll, and the guy is doing one book that I'd really LOVE to be interested on, but since it's clearly and editorial mandated heavy book, I don't feel like investing money on.

I'm talking about Tom Taylor, the acclaimed writer of the web comic Injustice:Gods Among Us and the guy that will be writing the sanitized version of Laura Kinney as she debuts as the "All-New, All-Different" Wolverine. I like Laura and I love Wolverine, and I'd be willing to give the book a go since I think Tom Taylor is a great writer, but after the interview that said something in the lines that Wolverine will be "less gory" and Laura would be a "role model" kind of book I've got instantly bored even before the book came out. Tom Taylor is GREAT with visceral and gory plots, and Wolverine would be a great fit for him, and while I'm good with Laura taking over Logan's role, I'm not okay with Marvel sanitizing her or Wolverine, not even if a great writer is doing that. Wolverine should be a book in the verge of been a mature reader's book, and Laura isn't a role model, she's a killer. I understand that girls and boys need characters to look up for, and there are several books that do just that, but Wolverine should never be sanitized, let alone been marketed that way.

I digress because that's not the point of this thread, the point is who we wish it was writing Marvel's flagship book, the Avengers, who should be drawing it and who should be editing. My dream team for a truly All-New, All-Different Marvel flagship line is the following:

I feel that Marvel needs an editorial shake up, so for editor I'd like to see Kurt Busiek editing the Marvel main line, or if they wanted to go truly bold, I'd love to see Steve Wacker back in the editorial field.

Avengers:

Written by Tom Taylor (Injustice: Gods Among Us) or Craig Yost (Earth's Mightiest Heroes Avengers cartoon), art by a rotating team consisted of Cliff Chiang, Sara Pichelli and David Marquez, covers and costume redesigns by MCU's concept artist Andy Park with the help of the three artists attached to the main book.

The Avengers are funded by SHIELD and their base of operations is the Avengers Tower:

Captain America (Steve Rogers)
    Falcon (I think it's sad that Sam can't shine as Falcon now that he's at his most popular in the mainstream. Power him up, show how bad ass a winged hero can be, and do it by showing the world who he IS, the Falcon)
    Hawkeye
    Vision
    Scarlet Witch
    Thor (keep Jane as long as Jason Aaron's story needs)
    Ant-Man (I haven't unfortunately watch the film yet, girlfriend was sick while the movie was in the theaters but I heard it's great)
    Spider-Man (to attract fans AND the Captain America: Civil War connection)

The Ultimates

Written by Rick Remender, art by the rotating team of Jerome Opeña, Mike Deodato and Leinil Yu.

A team that like the Illuminati, would take a more pragmatic take on saving the world, based on Wakanda and heavily influetiated by Hickman's New Avengers.

Iron Man (Funding and co-leading the team with Black Panther)
    Black Panther
    Captain Marvel
    Winter Soldier
    Black Widow
    Blue Marvel
    Karnak (to represent the Inhumans, I'd put Sunspot here, but since he's a mutant and Marvel don't have the rights for them right now, I'd rather see him getting the spotlight in the X-Men)
    Spider-Woman

Think these two teams above like Superman and Batman, Gold and Blue X-Men teams, or another fit comparison, the Avengers are the X-Men and Ultimates are the X-Force. I think it'd be cool to have Cap and Iron Man in different teams with opposing views, especially with Captain America: Civil War so close down the road.

For the "young" Avengers that are part of ANAD, I think it's about damn time to Marvel give the youngsters the spotlight, but not in the main Avengers team. Why? Because it's insane to have Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales and Nova in the field right now. Utterly insane. It's like saying it's okay for teenagers to serve the army, since the Avengers is THE Earth's army against cosmic threats. We are talking about teenagers here, and once Marvel did comics about teen teams better than anyone else in the business. Why not make a come back for that? What I'd love to see is a revamped and powerful Avengers Academy, envisioned by Captain American and having Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Hercules as their "tutors".

So I think that the perfect title for that would be...

Avengers Academy

Written by Sean McKeever or Brian Michael Bendis, rotating art by Dustin Weaver, Stuart Immonen and Adrian Alphona.

Funded by SHIELD and based on the Avengers mansion.

Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Hercules as the main tutors, but Cap's Avengers would be in the book too.

Ms. Marvel
    Miles Morales
    Wolverine
    Nova
    Totally Awesome Hulk
    Spider-Gwen
    Kate Bishop
    Molly Hayes (from Runaways)

What about you? If you could pick an All-New, All-Different creator team and line-up for the flagship Marvel books, how it would look like?
    Last edited by ijacksparrow; 09-10-2015 at 03:21 PM.

Poorly written title, but you got the idea.

I'm fine with Waid writing it. What I'd love to see is for Marvel to spend the next couple years grooming a female writer to take over the book. G. Willow Wilson, perhaps. Kelly Sue DeConnick would've been my first choice, but she's going to be busy with creator-owned stuff for a while. So in three-to-five years, I'd love to see Wilson as the writer on Avengers. The book has never had a female writer. It's also never had a writer who's a person of colour, but I'm not enough of a fan of Greg Pak, and right now, he's literally the only writer of colour that Marvel's announced as working on a book after Secret Wars. Supposedly they have more coming, but they're being pretty damned tight-lipped about it.

I'm tired of the Straight White Guys being the only ones who ever get to write any book that's allowed to Matter. (Or any book that's been in publication since the '60s.) To hell with that. Wilson on Avengers. Kathryn Immonen on Spider-Man. Jen Van Meter on Fantastic Four. Felipe Smith on Captain America. That's what I want.

For who should be on the Avengers team, well, whoever the writer wants. My preferences would probably be a team like Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Monica Rambeau, Shang-Chi, Kate Bishop, Karma and maybe a new Latino hero. Something along those lines. Once again, to hell with the usual heroes. To hell with what Lee and Kirby came up with back at a time that was filled with institutionalized racism and sexism. It's the 21st frigging century, I have no desire to let comics be ruled by shit from the '60s and '70s.

Wacker is doing a good job of improving the Marvel cartoons from the big rut they were in as of late, so I'm happy keeping him there and away from editing comics (or at least just away from Spider-Man).

But I'd totally be down for Busiek as an editor at Marvel. I think he could bring a great touch to the line that's been missing, and in terms of customer relations or talking with fans, he's one of the best in the business .

I'm perfectly fine with Waid on ANAD Avengers. The roster's not one I'm super crazy about, but one I can definitely live with and learn to like, and Waid's a talented writer who I feel has it in him to write a great Avengers book. And an Avengers book that reads more traditionally like an Avengers book, compared to what Hickman and Bendis were doing, just less violent, gory, or even dark than what Remender was doing in Uncanny which would be nice .

Al Ewing I think would also be pretty good on an Avengers book. Peter David as well, but I know he'd never want the job even if he was offered.

If I had to pick who I'd want on the team for the main Avengers book...well, if we're not going for something that's meant to be "All-New and All-Different," then I'd probably go for a team that had the mainstay Trinity (Cap, Iron Man, Thor) but with Steve, Tony, and Odinson.

Wasp would obviously be in there as well. I want Hank there too, but I could live with him not being a part of the official team roster and just serving in an advisory/tech support role.

Carol would definitely be in there as Captain Marvel, since I think she should be a big part of the main Avengers team.

Also love to have Black Panther and Falcon on the team.

An Avengers team without Hawkeye, and by Hawkeye I mean Clint, would feel weird so I'd be tempted to throw him in there. But I could switch him out for either Wanda or maybe even Brother Voodoo so the team has a magic guy and because Strange is more a solo guy. Or even Vision, but if Wanda was on the team I'd prefer either Vision or Wonder Man join her.
    Last edited by Frontier; 09-10-2015 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks but no thanks. I'm fine with Waid on ANADA. He's long been one of my favorite writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Thanks but no thanks. I'm fine with Waid on ANADA. He's long been one of my favorite writers.
    Same here .

BANNED

This.

We don't want editorially-mandated teams, but that's exactly what's being suggested in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Same here .
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    This.
    And I make number 4. Waid's a great writer, whom I've loved since he was on Captain America. I for one am looking forward to ANAD Avengers.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

I'm not saying that Mark Waid is not a great writer. He is, and I have enjoyed a LOT of his work in the past. I just don't think he is suited for Avengers, but at the same time I'd be all over him writing Justice League or Superman again. I see him as a "DC guy" that is better suited for solo titles when it comes to Marvel characters.

If I could choose, I'd have Mark Waid writing Iron Man instead of Bendis while Bendis would be writing both All-New X-Men and Avengers Academy, like the team I've mentioned above. I feel Bendis is way better suited to write teenagers than Waid is, and I also obviously dislike the ANAD Avengers roster and editorial mandate for the book.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
    I've been thinking a lot what would make me care about the Avengers after Hickman's departure, and one thought occurred to me: Marvel has the writer of one of the most popular and critically acclaimed team book writer on their payroll, and the guy is doing one book that I'd really LOVE to be interested on, but since it's clearly and editorial mandated heavy book, I don't feel like investing money on.

I'm talking about Tom Taylor, the acclaimed writer of the web comic Injustice:Gods Among Us and the guy that will be writing the sanitized version of Laura Kinney as she debuts as the "All-New, All-Different" Wolverine. I like Laura and I love Wolverine, and I'd be willing to give the book a go since I think Tom Taylor is a great writer, but after the interview that said something in the lines that Wolverine will be "less gory" and Laura would be a "role model" kind of book I've got instantly bored even before the book came out. Tom Taylor is GREAT with visceral and gory plots, and Wolverine would be a great fit for him, and while I'm good with Laura taking over Logan's role, I'm not okay with Marvel sanitizing her or Wolverine, not even if a great writer is doing that. Wolverine should be a book in the verge of been a mature reader's book, and Laura isn't a role model, she's a killer. I understand that girls and boys need characters to look up for, and there are several books that do just that, but Wolverine should never be sanitized, let alone been marketed that way.

I digress because that's not the point of this thread, the point is who we wish it was writing Marvel's flagship book, the Avengers, who should be drawing it and who should be editing. My dream team for a truly All-New, All-Different Marvel flagship line is the following:

I feel that Marvel needs an editorial shake up, so for editor I'd like to see Kurt Busiek editing the Marvel main line, or if they wanted to go truly bold, I'd love to see Steve Wacker back in the editorial field.

Avengers:

Written by Tom Taylor (Injustice: Gods Among Us) or Craig Yost (Earth's Mightiest Heroes Avengers cartoon), art by a rotating team consisted of Cliff Chiang, Sara Pichelli and David Marquez, covers and costume redesigns by MCU's concept artist Andy Park with the help of the three artists attached to the main book.

The Avengers are funded by SHIELD and their base of operations is the Avengers Tower:

Captain America (Steve Rogers)
    Falcon (I think it's sad that Sam can't shine as Falcon now that he's at his most popular in the mainstream. Power him up, show how bad ass a winged hero can be, and do it by showing the world who he IS, the Falcon)
    Hawkeye
    Vision
    Scarlet Witch
    Thor (keep Jane as long as Jason Aaron's story needs)
    Ant-Man (I haven't unfortunately watch the film yet, girlfriend was sick while the movie was in the theaters but I heard it's great)
    Spider-Man (to attract fans AND the Captain America: Civil War connection)

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane D View Post
    I don't think editorial mandates are bad per se. What I'm saying is that I'd like to see Marvel Comics and the MCU in synergy, and that's a great way to bring new readers into the fold. The single attempt of making an Avengers team in sync with the MCU was Avengers Assemble, and that was a very poorly planned book imho. I'd like to see Marvel having the Avengers in their most iconic at the moment, shaping up the future by getting the young generation into the spotlight by an Avengers Academy book. At the end of Age of Ultron, Cap and Tasha are training the new Avengers in the Avengers Academy HQ, I think that would be a great gateway for making an Avengers Academy book with the young generation of Marvel superheroes, in the tradition of the X-Men books: the main team goes to the big missions, the kids get to train at the Avengers Academy and face their own threats. What I'm saying is that the editorial mandate should be creative into making interesting ways that Marvel Comics could evolve: I feel that Cap leading a team with the help of Falcon and Hawkeye while Black Panther and Iron Man lead a team of Ultimates would be a more interesting theme going on with Captain America: Civil War brewing in the horizon, but that's my opinion.

I've envisioned this topic as way comic fans would share their vision of what they wished Marvel would be doing next, hopefully some good ideas will come out across.

How long Kamala is on the team, i dont care who is the writter.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
    I don't think editorial mandates are bad per se. What I'm saying is that I'd like to see Marvel Comics and the MCU in synergy, and that's a great way to bring new readers into the fold. The single attempt of making an Avengers team in sync with the MCU was Avengers Assemble, and that was a very poorly planned book imho. I'd like to see Marvel having the Avengers in their most iconic at the moment, shaping up the future by getting the young generation into the spotlight by an Avengers Academy book. At the end of Age of Ultron, Cap and Tasha are training the new Avengers in the Avengers Academy HQ, I think that would be a great gateway for making an Avengers Academy book with the young generation of Marvel superheroes, in the tradition of the X-Men books: the main team goes to the big missions, the kids get to train at the Avengers Academy and face their own threats. What I'm saying is that the editorial mandate should be creative into making interesting ways that Marvel Comics could evolve: I feel that Cap leading a team with the help of Falcon and Hawkeye while Black Panther and Iron Man lead a team of Ultimates would be a more interesting theme going on with Captain America: Civil War brewing in the horizon, but that's my opinion.
    The thing is a lot of comic book fans DO NOT want to see more synergy between the MCU and the comics, myself included. A lot of us feel that the MCU has bled enough already into comics. And after 12 movies, I don't think the MCU is going to bring any more readers to the comic side.

As for your idea of an Avengers Academy (vol.2) it seems very far from what the Academy was first put up to be, which was to help superpowered but troubled kids deal with their powers and learn to put them to good use, basically preventing them from turning into supervillains. I admit the mandate of the Academy could change to just teach the next generation, troubled or not, but what I liked about the concept of Avengers Academy was we got to meet new characters. Your roster is nothing but characters who appear in another book already, which is basically my main complain about the ANAD Avengers team.

I think that Waid really deserve a shot at writing the main book. The roster is not one that interests me personally, but I'm confident Waid will deliver. There are other writers at Marvel who are as talented as he is, but I believe he's the right man for the job, and that he's where he should be. Dreaming of having Busiek come back to Marvel to write the main Avengers title is a nice dream, but one that is really not likely to happen (unfortunately since Busiek was brilliant throughout Avengers vol. 3).

I do like your suggestion of Chris Yost though. I like his style and I liked his work on A:EMH. He's been shown to be able to write compelling stories while remaining true to canon and the spirit of what I would call "old-school Marvel" However, I must say that I disagree completely with the Avengers having any involvement with SHIELD, especially being funded by them. I'd personally keep SHIELD as far away from the Avengers as I could. But that's just me.

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

I have no issues with Mark Waid being the writer of the main Avengers comic coming out post-Secret Wars, but a couple alternate writers I'd want to see write the main Avengers book are either G. Willow Wilson or Jay Faerber, writer of Image Comics' Copperhead and Secret Identities.

As for the team lineup, the heroes on the All-New All Different Avengers are pretty good to me. I'm very much looking forward to seeing Kamala's interactions with the other members on the team. Though if I could choose who is on the main Avengers team, I'd keep who is currently there, but maybe remove Sam Nova and add in Captain Marvel. I don't have anything against Nova being on the Avengers team, but I think it would be interesting seeing Carol Danvers and Kamala Khan on the same team. Plus Carol would make a good leader mentor figure for the Avengers alongside Sam Wilson, Tony Stark, and the Vision. I don't think Jane Foster has reached leader status yet.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Just a small info:

There is this super hero called the Wasp who I've heard was a founding member and a leader of the Avengers who also happens to be forgotten by most...

Wait what was the topic again