Hawkgirl (Shayera Hol)
    Martian Manhunter
    Zatanna
    Aquaman
    Doctor Light (Kimiyo Hoshi)
    Black Canary
    Green Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Odd observation: lots of people want Hawkgirl/woman or Hawkman, but only one so far wants them both. Why is that?
    Because there are a very limited # of spots, so Hawkman & Hawkwoman/girl are too redundant in terms of power-skill sets to warrant using two slots just for them. Unless you're a already huge fan of the winged warriors (or just a personal desire to see a married couple on the league), there really is no need to have both.

Heck, there may not even be a need for one.

I mean, what is either Hawk's specialized niche? What is the one thing either of them can do better or that no one else can?

I got nothing they can do that either Batman or Vixen can't do. Anyone else got an answer?

Astonishing Member

1. Supergirl/Power Girl
    2. Batwoman
    3. Wonder Woman
    4. Mera
    5. Liberty Belle
    6. Soranik Natu/Princess Iolande
    7. Alanna Strange
    8. Shado
    9. Black Canary
    10. Vixen
    11. Hawkgirl
    12. Zatanna

HONORABLE MENTIONS OR LATER EDITS:

I'd be remiss not to want to somehow get the Golden Age female heroes in there, or Silver Age biggies. Phantom Lady, Doll Woman and Nightshade come to mind immediately. In fact Doll Woman would slot nicely into The Atom's spot, perhaps Nightshade into Martian Manhunter's spot, etc ...

Sidenote: While I know the JLA Big 12 is a specific reference to the sensational Silver Age run, I'm not a guy who likes divorcing Golden Age and Silver Age continuities and consigning a shared universe to Earth-2 not-mattering, so essentially any woman who was on the JSA is fair game, too. I always figure the JLA is just the JSA 2.0 anyway. Less of a loose club membership of occasional shared team-up crime-fighters and more of a proper team.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 09-12-2015 at 12:41 PM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Because there are a very limited # of spots, so Hawkman & Hawkwoman/girl are too redundant in terms of power-skill sets to warrant using two slots just for them. Unless you're a already huge fan of the winged warriors (or just a personal desire to see a married couple on the league), there really is no need to have both.

I mean, what is either Hawk's specialized niche? What is the one thing either of them can do better or that no one else can?

I got nothing they can do that either Batman or Vixen can't do. Anyone else got an answer?
    I get that both Hawks are part of the classic JLA line-up, though I can't remember, but didn't Hawkgirl join a good while later? Anyway the thing with the Hawks for me would be alternating. Like at any given time one or the other pitches in. They're partners in the Silver Age depiction, I'd like to see that updated to an egalitarian partnership (space aliens (or at least ancient egyptian human space colonist descendents) showing us humans true equal rights) and basically which ever one of them has a minute goes and does the JLA team-ups while the other continues working on cryptic alien space magic archaeology conspiracies. It's definitely a matter of only needing one at a time. I mean if you write a scene with either Green Arrow or Atom interaction, you bring in Katar, but any other time you could use Shayera interchangeably.

Between Clark and J'onn and Hal they can usually cover alien crypto mysteries, but I guess Katar or Shayera can get more precise expertise if it's an ANCIENT alien crypto mystery? Anyway, notably, Nth Metal is great for bashing the hell out of magic users who think they're invulnerable.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 09-12-2015 at 12:44 PM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    That team came pretty close...
    Edited some with apologies to Ross & Meltzer.

If I could. I'd add Zatanna.
    And it still works with the 12 Olympian Pantheon, added some Roman equivalent names for emphasis.

Zeus = Superman
    Hera = Wonder Woman
    Poseidon (Neptune) = Aquaman
    Hermes (Mercury) = Flash
    Apollo = Green Lantern
    Demeter Ceres) = Hawkgirl
    Ares (Mars) = J'onn J'onzz
    Artemis = Vixen
    Hephaestus (Vulcan) = Black Lightning
    Aphrodite = Black Canary
    Eros (Cupid) = Green Arrow
    Athena - Zatanna

Hades = Batman
    If you add Zatanna and maybe the Atom (science/tech guy) to that team, you just made my favorite team for life. This would be my team for any problem.
    LOL, I actually tried adding Zatanna to that pic, from another Ross image, but there was just no room, and she looked out of place.

Odd observation: lots of people want Hawkgirl/woman or Hawkman, but only one so far wants them both. Why is that?
    My position with the Hawks is if one is there, it always by default implies the other.
    Despite the 12 or any other number "rule" these list usually have.
    Similar with GL, having one take a position, I'm assuming any of the others are rotated in.
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-30-2019 at 07:24 AM.

Let's see...
    Superman
    Wonder Woman
    Batman
    Cyborg
    Vibe
    Aquaman
    Mera (hey, a married couple on the team (Make it so) and the world isn't ending!)
    Zatanna
    Longshadow (What can I say, I liked the Ultiman DCAU guy and he'd make a good 'rookie')
    Green Lantern (Have them swap out depending on who's stationed at Earth other comics, and just for kicks, sometimes have more than one show up)
    Vixen
    The Flash (Barry)*

I might be tempted to trade out the Flash for Atomica the good version
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    1. Supergirl/Power Girl
    2. Batwoman
    3. Wonder Woman
    4. Mera
    5. Liberty Belle
    6. Soranik Natu/Princess Iolande
    7. Alanna Strange
    8. Shado
    9. Black Canary
    10. Vixen
    11. Hawkgirl
    12. Zatanna
    Taco fest!!

Batman
    Superman
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern (Guy Gardner)
    Flash
    Cyborg
    Mr Terrific
    Green Arrow
    Black Canary
    Batgirl
    Fifty Sue
    Frankenstein

It would be written by Azz and it would be about dinah, babs, and sue ripping GreenArrow, Bats, WW and Guy until they quit the team..

Superman
    Batman
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern (Stewart)
    Flash
    J'onn J'onzz
    Aquaman
    Mera
    Zatanna
    Atom (Palmer)
    Dr. Light (Kimyo)
    Vixen.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Superman
    Batman
    Nightwing
    Powergirl
    Wonderwoman
    Atom(Ray)
    Flash(Jay)
    Mr. Terrific
    Green Lantern(Kyle)
    Plastic Man
    Jason Blood
    Wildcat(Ted)

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Speaking as the only person I saw who included them both, I tend to like seeing teams built around personalities rather than powersets. I think both characters have something to offer the League in terms of their character.

As I favor the Thanagarian Hawks, I think they can offer some cool things. They have unique alien tech like the absorbacron and Nth metal. Combine that in terms of their characters, they're more willing to take fights to lengths that Batman and Vixen probably won't.
    Last edited by The_Greatest_Username; 09-12-2015 at 07:28 PM.

Astonishing Member

Or perhaps...
    John Jon'zz
    Superman
    Black Canary
    Blue Beetle(Ted)
    Batman(Terry)
    Green Lantern(John Stewart)
    Ice
    Witchfire
    Aquaman(cool Morrison version long hair beard harpoon hand)
    Elongated Man
    Hawkgirl
    Flash(Wally)

I know for me, when I started making my list, there were a lot more male characters than female and, since they are of similar quality to me, I picked Hawkwoman. Looks like a lot found the same thing.

Mighty Member

1. Nightwing
    2. Troia
    3. Flash (Wally pre-nu52)
    4. Tempest (Garth)
    5. Raven
    6. Starfire
    7. Cyborg
    8. Vixen
    9. Superman
    10. Elongated Man
    11. Atom (Ray Palmer)
    12. Platinum

Wow. Didn't expect Zee to be on so many lists.

The Hawks were much more cerebral during the Satellite era. They helped the League with their Thanagarian tech and I've read issues with Hawkgirl aiding the League with some kind of device she invented. I think it's something that can be added into their modern day incarnations as well and counterbalanced with their warrior side.

It makes sense; Carter Hall's father was a scientist and they both grew up with the tech and they operated out of a space ship loaded with various alien technology. Superman didn't grow up with Kryptonian tech and there is the question of just how much he actually understands that technology. J'onn has never really been a tech guy even though I think he does know a thing or two about Martian technology and the same argument can be made for Aquaman as well.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

BANNED

Because there are a very limited # of spots, so Hawkman & Hawkwoman/girl are too redundant in terms of power-skill sets to warrant using two slots just for them.
    See, I don't even consider powers of skillsets. I consider which character would play well off each other and make for fun storytelling.
    And Hawkman generally is better (IMO) when he's with Hawkwoman (or -girl, I am not even sure at this point if Hawkwoman and Hawkgirl are seperate characters).

You have 12 slots to fill. Put in one or two Superman types and you basically don't even have to fill the other slots, powerwise.