Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Godzilla already has the main advantage as far as fire breath. If Godzilla is bigger too, Kong is pretty screwed.

That's why they had to make up the whole lightning thing in the first movie... they had to stack the deck a bit to even up the odds.
    Actually the lightning thing was a carryover (allegedly) from when they had planned for it to be Frankenstein vs Godzilla (which makes a lot more sense).
    The fire breath doesn't have to hurt any more than it did the MUTOs (not a one hit kill except for the whole 'kiss of death' at the end).
    A gorilla of equal size to Godzilla should honestly curbstomp Godzilla from sheer strength alone. Plus with a size difference we can see Kong swing up on Godzilla's back and various other interesting scenes we don't get from same sized opponents.

BANNED

Godzilla already has the main advantage as far as fire breath. If Godzilla is bigger too, Kong is pretty screwed.

That's why they had to make up the whole lightning thing in the first movie... they had to stack the deck a bit to even up the odds.
    They didn't have to do the lightning thing in the old movie, hell, they're about the same size in that movie anyways. It's not like the fire breath would need to do much beyond burn the hair from his body.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Actually the lightning thing was a carryover (allegedly) from when they had planned for it to be Frankenstein vs Godzilla (which makes a lot more sense).
    The idea for Frankenstein vs. Godzilla actually came after the success of King Kong vs. Godzilla. They ending up refashioning the basic story as Frankenstein Conquers the World.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    The idea for Frankenstein vs. Godzilla actually came after the success of King Kong vs. Godzilla. They ending up refashioning the basic story as Frankenstein Conquers the World.
    Legend has it that they also very briefly tossed around a "Batman vs. Godzilla" treatment after the success of the initial Kong crossover. I'm not sure when exactly it happened but I think it would have technically been the first Batman movie. Oh, Toho... what might have been.

Sort of related news: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...iversal-823715

Huh, I always had heard it the other way around. I'll have to look it up someday.
    Also, how's Frankenstein Conquers the World by the way? I'm kind of caught up on most Godzilla and Gamera flicks and looking for other old kaiju films to add to my film collection. I'm thinking of it and that Gargantuas one as next week's fan purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by taylortexas View Post
    Legend has it that they also very briefly tossed around a "Batman vs. Godzilla" treatment after the success of the initial Kong crossover. I'm not sure when exactly it happened but I think it would have technically been the first Batman movie. Oh, Toho... what might have been.
    Second movie. This was during the success of Adam West's Batman, so the 66 Batman movie would have already happened. That's also not counting the 40's film serials as "movies".

^ All the sci-fi flicks Ishiro Honda did for Toho are worth seeing. Also: the Daimajin films are a must.

... and maybe give Ultraman a try.

^ All the sci-fi flicks Ishiro Honda did for Toho are worth seeing. Also: the Daimajin films are a must.

... and maybe give Ultraman a try.
    Daimajin was this week's fan purchase (bought the blu-ray trilogy off Amazon earlier today).
    And isn't Ultraman comprised of several TV series and films over the decades? That's a bit intimidating to figure out where to start.

^ Just watch the original Ultraman first, or maybe go with Tsuburaya Productions earlier show, Ultra Q, which is like a Japanese version of The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits (but with kaiju).

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    I confess I am very, very disappointed to hear of this. I thought the next Godzilla movie would introduce the western incarnations of King Ghidorah and Rodan. This sounds like a bad joke. Godzilla and King Kong are not the same size, not by a longshot. Kong will tangle with foes closer to his weight class in Skull Island. Godzilla would simply tail-slap him into the Pacific/Atlantic/Indian Ocean and that would not be a feature, but more like a featurette. If Godzilla can kick two MUTO's asses, an overgrown chimp is no match for his strength and abilities.
    To my knowledge, the plan is still to use Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah in Godzilla 2 (essentially making it a remake of Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster). I know when they were initially announced, the announced plans for both Godzilla 2 and 3, leading to speculation that 2 would introduce Mothra with 3 being for Rodan and Ghidorah, but then rumors of MechaGodzilla started swirling around (no idea how legit they were or if it was just clickbait talk) as the opponent for 3. So presumably we’ll see Kong: Skull Island, Godzilla 2 (featuring Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah), and then King Kong vs. Godzilla.

I think it’s also possible they save Ghidorah for King Kong vs. Godzilla and have those two team up to face him.

From Wikipedia:
    The film had its roots in an earlier concept for a new King Kong feature developed by Willis O'Brien, animator of the original stop-motion Kong. Around 1960, O'Brien came up with a proposed treatment, King Kong meets Frankenstein, where Kong would fight against a giant version of Frankenstein's monster in San Francisco. O'Brien took the project (which consisted of some concept art and a screenplay treatment) to RKO to secure permission to use the King Kong character. During this time the story was renamed King Kong vs. the Ginko when it was believed that Universal had the rights to the Frankenstein name (they actually only had the rights to the monster's makeup design). O'Brien was introduced to producer John Beck who promised to find a studio to make the film (at this point in time RKO was no longer a production company). Beck took the story treatment and had George Worthing Yates flesh it out into a screenplay. The story was slightly altered and the title changed to King Kong vs. Prometheus, returning the name to the original Frankenstein concept (The Modern Prometheus was the alternate name of Frankenstein in the original novel). Unfortunately, the cost of stop animation discouraged potential studios from putting the film into production. After shopping the script around overseas, Beck eventually attracted the interest of the Japanese studio Toho. Toho had long wanted to make a King Kong film and decided to replace the Frankenstein creature with Godzilla. They thought it would be the perfect way to celebrate their thirtieth year in production. John Beck's dealings with Willis O'Brien's project were done behind his back, and O'Brien was never credited for his idea. In 1963, Merian C. Cooper attempted to file a lawsuit against John Beck claiming that he outright owned the King Kong character, but the lawsuit never went through as it turned out he was not Kong's sole legal owner as he had previously believed.
    EDIT: So the order to the film ideas seems to have been: King Kong vs. Frankenstein> King Kong vs. Godzilla>Frankenstein vs. Godzilla,>Frankenstein Conquers the World with the bolded films actually having been made. And then of course Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster originally having been intended for King Kong.

---

In terms of the overall size issue, if they make Kong about 50 feet tall on all fours rather than 25 feet, I think it becomes an interesting fight. 25 feet just feels to small, whereas 50 feet has a David vs. Goliath type feel. Gorillas are strong and intelligent, so I could see a super-sized Gorilla like Kong being smart enough to tango with monsters much bigger than he is.

I agree with others that putting Kong in the 350 feet range would remove the opportunity for him to do Kong things like interacting with people (I think Toho was pushing it with the 50m King Kong in their films). But even at 100 feet, suddenly that fight’s not as certain as it was before, especially if Kong has some kaiju like resistance as opposed to being able to be killed by biplanes.

If the recent rumors of MONARCH’s involvement are true, I wonder if the Kong on Skull Island won’t be a “regular” King Kong but that there’s also another Kong that’s been experimented on and “grown” to larger size.
    Last edited by robreedwrites; 09-16-2015 at 01:11 PM.

BANNED

Mechanical Violator Hakaider is great, (as is Keita Amemiya) but why the trailer?

I'm not interested. I've never been a super-fan of the Kong concept. I'm only interested in Godzilla winning.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'm not interested. I've never been a super-fan of the Kong concept. I'm only interested in Godzilla winning.
    Never been a fan of the concept of King Kong?

I loved that movie.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

King Kong was killed by *bi-planes!* 'Nuff said...