Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Superman '55 or Superman '80

With the success of Batman '66 and Wonder Woman '77, would you rather see them do a Superman '55, based on Adventures of Superman, or a Superman '80, picking up after Superman II?

I, myself, think Superman '80 would have more potential with Lex Luthor and the Phantom Zone villians already established. And the more sci-fi, comic book plots. Plus they could pull in Supergirl from her movie, as well, since it was fairly close in time.

Who would you put on it?
    I'd probably go with Marv Wolfman and Roberto Viacava or Nicola Scott.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    With the success of Batman '66 and Wonder Woman '77, would you rather see them do a Superman '55, based on Adventures of Superman, or a Superman '80, picking up after Superman II?

I, myself, think Superman '80 would have more potential with Lex Luthor and the Phantom Zone villians already established. And the more sci-fi, comic book plots. Plus they could pull in Supergirl from her movie, as well, since it was fairly close in time.

Who would you put on it?
    Hmm. I'm torn.

On one hand, I feel like we already got a version of SUPERMAN 80' with Geoff Johns run on ACTION awhile back, and I feel sometimes people overlook the George Reeves series unfairly and write it off as cheap or inferior, when I maintain that first season of the series was one of the more faithful adaptations of the Golden Age version of the character and in of itself has great potential. I feel that perhaps when we are trying to separate Superman a little from Chris Reeve and the Dick Donner interpretation, a series featuring that version in an ongoing is perhaps not the greatest idea, especially when we could foster other interpretations from the past.

On the other hand...seeing a proper continuation of that universe that doesn't result in the Superman Returns version of events is tempting, and of the two ideas, SUPERMAN 80 would probably have more legs from an economic standpoint and makes more sense as for better or worse, the Reeve/Donner version is still seen as the definitive live action version of the character.

So....in a perfect world...both, but Superman 55 first. However looking at it in pure logical terms...SUPERMAN 80.

I also would pick Wolfman as writer, with perhaps even someone like Elliot Maggin or Cary Bates also doing stories. Art...Tom Grummett or Nicola Scott perhaps?

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I'd want Superman 55 and I guess Darwyn Cooke or Mike Allred, Paul Pope? I just love the Atomic Age Superman as an idea. I'd lean on that as much as the TV show. I can only think of old guys, I'd read Mark Millars and Darwyn Cookes Superman 55.

Astonishing Member

Superman '55 by Jerry Ordway. I'd hope it could bring a bit more of the first season feel to the series and less "Pepito the Burro" or "The Upside-Down Device" type stories

Superman 80 would probably do better than Superman 55. In the Superman TV series he never faced a super villain.

Confession time. Whenever I read Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes by Geoff Johns (also his best work on Superman IMO), I treat it as though it were a continuation after Superman IV: The Quest for Peace.
    Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman, Justice League.

My favorite film trilogy.

I'd gladly read both in a heartbeat. Though if pressed to choose, I'd probably go '55. Like manofsteel1979 said, we kind of did get a continuation of the '80 version with Donner and Johns runs on the comic. Plus Frank drew Superman to resemble Reeve. So I feel like I got a bit more of a taste of that than '55. Plus, I think if they decide to delve into a more period piece for Superman and want something different, the 50's are a bit more distanced from modern day. I feel like if we're getting an alternate take on Superman, the 80's is a bit close (even though it is going back a ways).

Superman 55
    Besides...Superman can time travel to the future - Just make sure he is wearing the classic costume, head to toe
    Whom ever can bring the 50's feel back that are still around today: Ordway, Wolfman, Jurgens, Stern etc..
    Last edited by jimmy; 09-11-2015 at 03:08 PM.

Who would you put on it?
    Well, I'd rather see '55, with an eye towards keeping to the first season's tones and mentalities. I love the Donner films and all, but I'm beyond tired of everyone looking at them as the definitive version of the character. But Superman '80 would be the better marketing choice, with the more recognized window dressing and actors.

I like the idea of Wolfman on the writing too, though any of the old top-tier guys from back in the day (such as the aforementioned Ordway) would be great.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, I'd rather see '55, with an eye towards keeping to the first season's tones and mentalities. I love the Donner films and all, but I'm beyond tired of everyone looking at them as the definitive version of the character. But Superman '80 would be the better marketing choice, with the more recognized window dressing and actors.

I like the idea of Wolfman on the writing too, though any of the old top-tier guys from back in the day (such as the aforementioned Ordway) would be great.
    IMHO - The first Season of the Adventures of Superman (1952 - 53) was absolutely the best showing of the Man of Steel ever! Great film-noir, that was filled with drama, mystery and intrigue. The cast was all serious business - with a cool and smart Clark Kent / Superman whom also, no nonsense. I wish for that version today and in live action.
    Last edited by jimmy; 09-11-2015 at 03:02 PM.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

DEFINITELY '55. We've got Superman III, IV, Returns, and Johns/Frank already, and the George Reeves material is some of the best Superman stuff ever. Plus, it fits better with the current theme (TV shows, '66 and '77).
    Buh-bye

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I know it's probably not popular to admit this but I still count the last two Reeve movies as canon. So if we're talking about picking up after the second movie and what happened between then and the third movie then it doesn't sound like a bad idea. Personally, I don't think a comic based on the George Reeves version is such a bad idea. Though how many modern fans would be familiar with it? You could have the Reeves version of Luthor, Brainiac, maybe even "darker" villains like Parasite and maybe even Doomsday. Sort of like how Harley Quinn and Two Face were put into the Batman '66 comic. It just seems like so much of modern canon is based on the Reeve movies already. A SA take on Superman like the TV show might not be such a bad idea.

Incredible Member

'80, all the way. In terms of live-action, that's my Superman, and I think there's plenty there left to explore in that universe. Though I do appreciate the argument of the previous Johns run filling that void in a lot of ways, so i'd be perfectly content with a '55 continuation. Expand his world while keeping it's aesthetic and spirit as B'66 and WW'77 seem to have done.

SUPERMAN '55 all the way. Especially if drawn by Jerry Ordway or someone with a similar style.

It fits in perfectly with the motif of BATMAN '66 and WONDER WOMAN '77. I'd love to see re-imagined 1950s interpretations of Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Darkseid, Zod, Doomsday, Bizarro, and others like Supergirl and Superboy.

Loved the first two Christopher Reeve Superman films, but hate that too many attempts to relive that moment in time (1978 - 1980) too often. No need to keep going back to that well, IMHO.

Retired

Not to be overly picky, but I'm wondering why '55 and '80? With BATMAN '66, even though the series ended in '68, they don't call it BATMAN '68. So if you follow that principle it would be SUPERMAN '52 and SUPERMAN '78.

I don't really want either. They're okay, but I don't think they lend themselves to great comic books. The George Reeves Superman was lacking in spectacle or mythology. While the Christopher Reeve Superman had both, but not the spectacle and the mythology that interest me.

I'd like a Superman that included all the Weisinger era and Schwartz era mythology and characters. So neither of those would get me that.

I guess about the only adaptation that would give me what I want would be something based on THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN Filmation cartoon series from the '60s or the SUPER FRIENDS Hanna-Barbera cartoon series from the '70s and early '80s.

If I wanted an old schoold back to basics Superman (i.e. lacking all the fun Superboy and Krypton stuff) then I'd choose SUPERMAN '48--based on the Kirk Alyn serial--or SUPERMAN '40 based on the Bud Collyer radio Superman (plus the Fleischer cartoons that he voiced). With the radio show it does present a unique opportunity to visualize what one had to imagine in the theatre of the mind.