Fantastic Member

Default Blood feud: A vampire yarn... With spiders

blood feud 1In October--just in time for Halloween--Oni Press will be releasing the first issue of my new horror/comedy series, Blood Feud. This is a story I'm pretty excited about. The lead hero, R.F. Coven, is modeled after my dad (who, to his family, was always Called R.F.). Some of the events that take place in the series are inspired by "real world" events my dad told me all about. And the setting--Spider Creek--is inspired by the town I lived in when I first set foot in Missouri.

And, yeah, there's a lot of spiders.

When I first moved to the Ozarks (many, many blood moons ago), I was shocked to see thousands of tarantulas—Texas Browns—moving across the dirt roads as part of their annual migration. Seeing that many tarantulas in one place… and living among “country folk” for so long… and a “healthy” love of horror flicks… inspired this book.

Blood Feud is the story of a backwoods feud taken to a dark extreme. Imagine the Hatfields and McCoys… if the Hatfields were demon-worshipping sorcerers. That sums up the Whatley and Stubbs families. They’ve been at each other’s throats for as long as anyone in Spider Creek, Missouri, can remember. Now, though, the Whatleys have unleashed something terrible into the darkest hollows—something that will consume the Stubbs… and everyone else. R.F. Coven and a couple of poker buddies are the only Ozarks “good ol’ boys” standing in the way of ultimate evil.

I’m creating this book with Drew Moss (who worked with me on Terrible Lizard) and Nick Filardi (who worked with me on Helheim). I think it’s a book that’s scary and funny and even a little heartbreaking at times. It’s got vicious vampires (kinda), undead frogs, black magic, and—yes—lots and lots of tarantulas.

But Blood Feud needs your help! The shelves are packed with great comics, and retailers simply can’t order everything that’s coming out. The best way to make sure you get a chance to read the book is to contact your local comic book shop and pre-order the title! Here's the order information:

BLOOD FEUD #1
    Oni Press
    Release Date: 10/7/2015
    Order Code: AUG151627

But make it quick! The Final Order Cutoff is fast approaching!

Every issue shows its “popcorn and Budweiser” horror movie influences with homages to movies like Friday the 13th, Evil Dead, and Fright Night, among others. If you liked The Sixth Gun, Helheim, or (another backwoods horror yarn of mine) Harrow County, I think they’ll get a kick out of this.

Thanks so much!

Cullen Bunn
    Spider Creek, MO (By way of St. Louis)
    September 2015

blood feud 1.jpg

I read issues 1 and 2 of this last week and loved it. I'm excited to pick up #3 later! An amazing tribute to 80s horror.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 02-21-2016 at 08:24 AM.

hahaha holy crap, the final page of the final issue was so messed up.