Super Moderator

Default Why Did Doctor Octopus Want to Marry Spidey's Aunt May?

Discover the bizarre reason behind Doctor Octopus' attempt at marrying to Spider-Man's beloved Aunt May!

Full article here.

Easily the low point of Conway's run on ASM; just a laughably bad premise, even by 1970's standards. And, for all of Conway's strengths as a writer, he wrote a very poor Doc Ock. His earlier tales of him were as a mid-level gang boss duking it out with Hammerhead and machine-gun toting thugs, something that should be well beneath him. What makes this appear even worse is how much better the rest of Conway's run was.

BANNED

Doctor Octopus takes her in as a housekeeper (actually out of the good of his heart, which is an interesting twist). Once there, he comes across a letter from the Canadian lawyer that she inherited a nuclear facility in Canada. He then hides the information, kills the lawyer and then marries her, with the plan to kill her off once they’re married so that HE inherits the nuclear facility. That’s cuckoo bananas. Especially because it is ABANDONED. Just use it without her ever knowing about it! You’re a CRIMINAL! You don’t need to inherit it!
    If this guy wrote a couple of pieces a month, it'd be noticeable on the basis of its quality, but twice a day? Amazing!

Conway's run is easily the most overrated in all of Spidey's history. While this issue, and the previous one (with the introduction of the infamous Spider-Mobile), are really close to the bottom of the pit for ASM (at 3.5/10), they aren't worse than issues featuring the Mindworm or the Grizzly. And don't get me started on the final part of the clone saga, was he trying to be funny in AMS #147? I could never tell. The rest was a tad better, with some issues (not many) being almost ok, but that's it. He fared reasonably well while in the company of Romita and Kane, but once he hooked up with Andru, it was a complete disaster.

BANNED

Keep in mind, this is the same person who possessed the body of Spider-Man: the same person whose aunt he tried to MARRY!

Come on, you're trying to make logic out of someone who tried to boil the sun and wipe out all life on Earth. It's the same reason as to why stopping him from the marriage was legit and why making him a "hero" was absolutely insane.

BANNED

Poor Doc Ock? Come on! If we exclude the weird muscled body they gave him during that period, he was fine... i guess!
    How about the most annoying version of aunt May? Surely, some form of Alzheimer's disease must have kicked in inside May's skull! She was cursing Spider-Man based only in Jameson's controversial campaign but she did fell in love with one of the most notorious super villains who evidently caused mayhem and chaos in his wake?
    Clearly, she is either the biggest hypocrite i have ever saw (second only to Xavier or Scott Summers) or she did had some form of brain disease.

If Aunt May sold her island, this would solve a lot of problems in Spidey's life.

It started well, i thought, with Doc Ock taking in Aunt May out of the kindness of his heart. Thats the first time Ock was ever anything close to a sympathetic character. And I enjoyed the two Hulk issues right before TNGSD.

The gangster Ock lasted quite a while, as I recall, with the high point being the Gang War with Owl. Its a status quo that did not completely go away until the 1990s.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

The story is a bit silly and over the top but i would not consider this as one of the worst.
    It have been many uears since i read this though.
    I remember liking the rivalry beyween Doc Ock and Hammerhead in this story arc and in another story arc in which Hammerhead returns as a Ghost.
    Rivalry between villains was not that often so i remember enjoying that from this story.

Fantastic Member

May we remember Slott's contribution to the events of the almost wedding.

Doc Ock's attraction to Aunt May was quite obviously an outgrowth of his affliction by irremediable Gerontophilia; Which itself most likely originated from unresolved Oedipal issues. Conversely, Doc Ock's recent seemingly normal relationship with Anna Maria is actually a paraphilic inversion of his initial Geriatric fixation caused by the confusion of Ock's Psyche attempting to functionally integrate with a younger, healthier, Brain and Body.

English Translation- Doc's a Freak, Yo!
    Last edited by Cosmic Spider; 09-14-2015 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Durned if I know, Although I'm sure someone does.
    Life is the algorithm through which Goddess explores the infinite possibilities of Her own existence.

Otto could do much better.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Spider View Post
    Doc Ock's attraction to Aunt May was quite obviously an outgrowth of his affliction by irremediable Gerontophilia; Which itself most likely originated from unresolved Oedipal issues. Conversely, Doc Ock's recent seemingly normal relationship with Anna Maria is actually a paraphilic inversion of his initial Geriatric fixation caused by the confusion of Ock's Psyche attempting to functionally integrate with a younger, healthier, Brain and Body.

English Translation- Doc's a Freak, Yo!
    Post of the month.