Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

I've been a fan of Bendis since Ultimate Spider-Man #1 (and maybe even Powers) so I've followed what he's said on his blog and various interviews.

For what it's worth, he does seem to be the most pro spider-marriage of the Marvel higherups.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Model 1911A1 Cal .45 View Post
    I love that scene it works with this news. I really hope MJ is just an employee and never dates tony
    X-Men Forever

Yeah, wrote my own thoughts about this announcement here. And the thing is, I do understand the apparent logic going on. As Dan Slott himself noted in his interview with Comic Vine, thanks to One More Day, Peter and Mary Jane's relationship literally couldn't go anywhere. (Scroll to the 3:02 mark)

All that being said, if Mary Jane does turn into Tony Stark's new girlfriend, I think it will prove disastrous for Marvel and alienate both Spider-Man and Iron Man fans. Not to mention, how does MJ dating Tony Stark, in light what she told Peter in Superior Spider-Man #31, not turn her into a massive hypocrite?
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Yeah, wrote my own thoughts about this announcement here. And the thing is, I do understand the apparent logic going on. As Dan Slott himself noted in his interview with Comic Vine, thanks to One More Day, Peter and Mary Jane's relationship literally couldn't go anywhere. (Scroll to the 3:02 mark)
    That really is the disappointment from this announcement was that MJ wouldn't have had a big role in the new volume of ASM.
    Like at what point can MJ go back into the Spider-Man books? When Marvel decides to have them date again?

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    I love that scene it works with this news. I really hope MJ is just an employee and never dates tony
    Yep, and yep.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    That really is the disappointment from this announcement was that MJ wouldn't have had a big role in the new volume of ASM.
    Like at what point can MJ go back into the Spider-Man books? When Marvel decides to have them date again?
    Pretty much. The mandate does not allow their relationship to progress and when they are just best friends, her mere presence in books overshadows all the other love interests. Ignoring her completely was the best option for the Spidey creative team. So at least Bendis is saving her from the forced trip into limbo.

When did MJ live in Avengers tower? If the marriage was retconned, as was other heroes knowing Spider-Man's identity during that period of time, why would MJ be living there?

Also, here's something else to remember. Unlike Peter, Tony Stark's identity as Iron Man is public knowledge. So if MJ becoming Tony's girlfriend is even more dangerous than her being Peter's girlfriend. And yet, according to what she told Peter, she "has to leave him" because she wants a "normal life" without having to always look over her shoulder for fear of constant danger? Riiiiight.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    When did MJ live in Avengers tower? If the marriage was retconned, as was other heroes knowing Spider-Man's identity during that period of time, why would MJ be living there?
    Don't forget that even though One More Day retconned the marriage, every thing else about Peter and MJ's relationship--including their living in Stark Tower--still happened.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Don't forget that even though One More Day retconned the marriage, every thing else about Peter and MJ's relationship--including their living in Stark Tower--still happened.
    But no one knew who Spider-Man was up until recently, according to the new canon. Why would he risk that by having Peter Parker's aunt and girlfriend live in the tower?

Also, here's something else to remember. Unlike Peter, Tony Stark's identity as Iron Man is public knowledge. So if MJ becoming Tony's girlfriend is even more dangerous than her being Peter's girlfriend. And yet, according to what she told Peter, she "has to leave him" because she wants a "normal life" without having to always look over her shoulder for fear of constant danger? Riiiiight.
    I really don't see MJ being Tony's girlfriend, but rather a girl who is his friend.
    Cause it fits Tony's MO to think that every beautiful woman would be with him especially with him being Iron Man and such. And then MJ just straight up shoots him down.
    And MJ ultimately ends up as a confidant role for Stark, with no romantic attachments.

But no one knew who Spider-Man was up until recently, according to the new canon. Why would he risk that by having Peter Parker's aunt and girlfriend live in the tower?
    Well, at the time, the house on Forest Hills burned down, so Tony Stark offered them a place to stay at Stark Tower (which, since Spidey became an Avenger around the same time, also housed him at their HQ). But yeah, it did kind of risk exposing Peter and Spider-Man. There was even a moment in which MJ was seen going into Stark Tower and, not wanting to compromise Peter's secret ID, made up an excuse she was seeing Tony Stark--which then resulting in the tabloids assuming she and Tony were having an affair.

I said it earlier in the thread but in one of the issues of Invincible Iron Man (issue I'm referring to occurred between 2008-2010) Stark remembers Peter working for him, having potential and stuff, and then leaving for no apparent reason. Like he even remembered giving Peter and his family a place to stay for a bit.

Pretty much the story arc revolved around Tony trying to figure out the mystery of Peter Parker and ultimately giving up.
    And a heads up for everyone else is that Stark doesn't know Peter is Spider-Man.

EDIT: It was Invincible Iron Man 500, which occurred in 2011.
    Last edited by Aruran.; 09-11-2015 at 01:35 PM.

I really don't see MJ being Tony's girlfriend, but rather a girl who is his friend.
    Cause it fits Tony's MO to think that every beautiful woman would be with him especially with him being Iron Man and such. And then MJ just straight up shoots him down.
    And MJ ultimately ends up as a confidant role for Stark, with no romantic attachments.
    Oh, I'm hoping that's the route they do go with this, that MJ essentially tells Tony he's "not her type" or "I've already had enough experience in dating superheroes" or what have you. But even so, it still sends the message that Iron Man can't become a "flagship character" without borrowing characters and concepts from their traditional flagship character, Spider-Man. Not to mention, and I admit I'm being a bit presumptuous here, but it also makes it seem like Mary Jane is taking the place of Pepper Pots, right down the fact they're both redheads to boot.

Oh, I'm hoping that's the route they do go with this, that MJ essentially tells Tony he's "not her type" or "I've already had enough experience in dating superheroes" or what have you. But even so, it still sends the message that Iron Man can't become a "flagship character" without borrowing characters and concepts from their traditional flagship character, Spider-Man. Not to mention, and I admit I'm being a bit presumptuous here, but it also makes it seem like Mary Jane is taking the place of Pepper Pots, right down the fact they're both redheads to boot.
    MJ is just Rick Jonesing now.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-11-2015 at 02:21 PM.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Interesting... Wonder what her role will be. Hopefully not sleeping with Tony.