Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How many comic book characters REALLY died during their "deaths"?

I have noticed a lot of complaints over the abundance of comic book character deaths, the exploitative headline grabbing event to sell to the public, and the inevitable resurrection with a year and a half tops most times. But upon reflection, I realized I was having trouble finding many that actually were dead to begin with. Batman was time displaced, Superman was in his Kryptonian coma, Cap was dimensionally displaced (or something), Half Jordan was caccooned in the sun while his soul merged with Spectre, Thor was heading to Valhalla and just changed his mind, Peter's consciousness finds its way back into his brain, Johnny is presumed dead but just isn't. The only one that comes to mind that had a legitimate death and resurrection was Oliver Queen. So with all the buzz over the upcoming Wolverine mini, I figured a thread detailing the big "deaths" we've had and clarifying which ones were actual deaths and which ones were finagles might be kind of fun. I'm just thinking of stuff off of the top of my head (and probably full of mistakes) so perhaps a little back and forth with fellow posters might present a more accurate chart to go by.
    Last edited by MykeHavoc; 06-05-2014 at 08:11 AM.

Supes really did "die". . . remember the issue where Pa Kent pulled him out of Heaven?

you gotta realize that none of them ever "die". . . since in order to bring them back, the writers negate the "death" in creative ways.

that said:

Uncle Ben really "died"
    the Legion of Superheroes characters who die tend not to come back (unless as a clone/alternate character during one of the major reboots): So "Chemical King" "Ferro Lad" "Karate Kid" and a few others truly died in the series.
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

Well I didn't mean supporting characters like uncle Ben, since he isn't one of the superheroes and he was never brought back. Even if they come back is some complicated way, like you said, pa kent grabbing Clark from heaven, as opposed to them just being in some sort of stasis temporarily or to have never died to begin with. Which characters actually lived up to the headline of "Dying"? Another that came to mind was Barry allen, who was really just caught up in the speed force. Same sort of goes with bart , but his older self was actually killed while some sort of kid version of him was in the speed force. That one felt like johns not even putting in the effort to adequately explain it. And Connor seemed straight up dead. We see starman carrying his skeletal corpse and placing it in the kryptonian incubator, where it sits for 1000 years before being resurrected and sent back in time.

Golden Age characters whose IP's expired are dead.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Nightcrawler was really dead. So was the Thing, once. In both cases, their teammates had to go into the afterlife to get them.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

most of the characters in the "Strikeforce Morituri" book

and didn't several of the New Guardians die?
    (I remember Jet dying)
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

I wish I could alter the thread title, as I meant to specify characters that died and came back, but were actually dead before being brought back. My bad guys.

All the companies need to cut it out. With all the "deaths". It is only dramatic for the really naive youngster who actually falls for it. And shame on the employees who swear they are really dead. "It is company policy" It is really a lame, cheap, unoriginal and unimaginative plot device.

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    I wish I could alter the thread title, as I meant to specify characters that died and came back, but were actually dead before being brought back. My bad guys.
    I think mods can change titles.

A bunch of Brightest Day/Blackest Night heroes

> Hawkeye
    > Martian Manhunter
    > Ray Palmer
    > Aquaman
    > etc
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Comic book characters, or superhero characters?

Because I've read a large number of comics where people die and that means they stop moving forever. Or, y'know, become a ghost or something. Go to Heaven. But they don't get sandwiches from the corner shop or pay the electrical bill anymore

is what I wrote before I realized the thread title and opening post are kinda misleading. Okeh. Who's died and come back? Almost every superhero. Especially if a universe dies and then returns. I mean, heck, literally half the Marvel Earth legitimately died and were resurrected by Thanos. Batman died of a heart attack and was brought back by Hurt and a crash cart, then he died again, so dead the universe fundamentally agreed he was dead, and Superman and Wonder Woman brought him back. Once half the Earth and Batman die and come backk, it's pr'y safe to say in a corporate-owned superhero universe anybody can, and probably has been resurrected.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Jean Grey is very much dead at the moment.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

The first one that immediately came to mind, since I'm a huge fan, was ShadowHawk from Image Comics. The original, Paul Johnstone, for all intents and purposes, really was truly dead after he succumbed to AIDS in the last issue of his series. His spirit lived on in the afterlife, but he was physically dead, and remained so until he was brought back in 2010. During a battle from Image United, then-current ShadowHawk Eddie Collins was about to be killed, and his father donned the helmet to plead with the ShadowHawks of past to help. He sacrificed himself as the spirits "transformed" him into Johnstone so that he could join the battle and save Eddie.
    Last edited by Michael24; 06-05-2014 at 11:01 AM.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Oh, reminded me of Jenny Sparks as well actually, don't know why ! The spirit of the 20th century...I guess it's your last sentence about the spirits who triggered the memory. Very much dead either.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Though it was obviously changed over time, Barry Allen was seen up in Heaven during Kevin Smith's Green Arrow run. For that matter, Green Arrow and Green Lantern. And Peter Parker, if you count communing with spider-spirits as dead.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    All the companies need to cut it out. With all the "deaths". It is only dramatic for the really naive youngster who actually falls for it. And shame on the employees who swear they are really dead. "It is company policy" It is really a lame, cheap, unoriginal and unimaginative plot device.
    It sells. As long as it sells it's going to keep happening. Quality and integrity of character and storyline is secondary to sales.