Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Ultimate Spider-Man #3 talk.

The series is 3/3. Spoiler thoughts:

spoilers:
    My favourite thing was the talk between Peter Parker and Harry Osborn while dressed as their alter egos in Spider-Man and the Green Goblin respectively and how it'll go into the Ultimate Spider-Man #4 preview.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Man, that Hickman, he's 3 for 3 with this book. It's so good! This is peak Spider-Man, folks.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Man, that Hickman, he's 3 for 3 with this book. It's so good!
    So thankful we have an alternative in USM to TASM.

Harry doing what he did at the end of issue was kinda mess up. As for Peter I do wonder what event will take place for him to take Spider-Man more responsibility cause he pretty much tell Jonah and Ben his ID
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Man, that Hickman, he's 3 for 3 with this book. It's so good! This is peak Spider-Man, folks.
    I couldn't agree with you more. This and Amazing are like a modern Tale of Two Cities...
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I wish the pace was a little quicker, but overall Hickman is telling an extremely intriguing, engaging story. Right now I'm most interested in when MJ and Richard will find out about Peter's new superlife, as well as how the relationship between Harry and Peter will evolve. Also curious about when and how other Spidey villains will make themselves known.

-Pav, who doesn't love paying $5 a comic...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Fantastic Member

Great issue again. I picked up the book from my LCS and again they told me that it was on at least four dozen other people's pull list, and they sold ten of them off the rack. Before I picked up the book, I made the stupid mistake of going on Bleeding Cool. Their article on Ultimate Spider-Man #3 at first creeped me out with its headline then annoyed me with its actual content. They are so cynical in their reporting. I actually get the feeling they want bad things to happen to the Peter's kids.

As cute as daddy-daughter having a secret is...are they ever going to have a family meeting to discuss everything and be open with what's going on? How long is Peter going to keep it a secret from MJ?

Oh look, it's Ultimate Scarlet Spider!

Peter finally donning the red and blues and swinging with his daughter is the perfect visual.

Ben and Jonah setting up their own office reminds me a lot of when Jonah got booted out of the Bugle by Thomas Fireheart and he and Robbie set up their own newspaper.

It's funny how Jonah still calls Peter "Parker" and only seems to marginally tolerate him even here.

I wonder if Ben is going to be the most skeptical of Spider-Man.

I see that Peter still has a bit of the ol' Parker ego to the point where he gushes about his alter ego more than he really should.

Spider-Sense seemed to kick in when the building started falling.

Spidey won a fight! I mean, he still had help and it was a surprise attack, but still. He even nailed the Spider-Man entrance.

Look! It's Radiant Black! I mean...Ultimate Bullseye! Working for Bigger Big Bads than Kingpin. On the one hand, he's still a bit of a psychotic POS as ever, but other times it felt like Hickman was writing Lester a little too eloquent. Though I guess it's kind of cute how he worked in "bullseye."

So does Harry have his own private prison? I'm guessing we'll at least see him unmasked otherwise you wouldn't realize it was the guy next to Kingpin unless you saw the character design.

I see one consequence of having a suit made out of tech is that said tech can also be hacked. This never would have happened to 616 Spidey and his basic suit.

So Peter and Harry have unmasked each other and are getting chummy...crime-fighting partners that I'm sure won't inevitably try to kill each other!

Fantastic Member

Another stellar issue. I don't have a problem with Hickman taking it slow. The plot is the aspect of the book I am least interested in. I like taking our time and just settling in with the characters and the world and setting the table.

The art remains phenomenal. The character work and dialog is top notch.

I'm excited about this upcoming situation with Harry. Given how spoilers:
    he handles Bullseye in the issue will likely lead him into conflict with Peter who I suspect will have issues with secretly imprisoning criminals for indefinite periods of time
    end of spoilers

Very excited to see how Date Night goes

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I see one consequence of having a suit made out of tech is that said tech can also be hacked. This never would have happened to 616 Spidey and his basic suit.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this is actually something that sees Peter ditching the tech suit for a homegrown one, since like you said you can't remotely override fabric. Maybe not right away but it's probably going to happen.

Oh Peter, are you even trying to keep your identity a secret?

spoilers:
    First he all but tells Ben and Jonah that he’s the guy in black the Bugle is focusing on, then he gets outed by Harry because Harry controls his suit’s tech in the wake of taking over Stark’s Company. Hmmm kinda feel like that’s setting up Peter to ditch the picotech and go with a homemade/cloth suit. I’m dying to see how the Parker/Osborn double date goes now that Peter and Harry know each other’s secret identity.
    end of spoilers

Loved the scene with Peter and May swinging through the city, that’s muh Spider-Man.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if this is actually something that sees Peter ditching the tech suit for a homegrown one, since like you said you can't remotely override fabric. Maybe not right away but it's probably going to happen.
    Maybe it's an avenue to introduce Peter's intelligence to the book. He was at the Science Fair thing in Ultimate Invasion. I could see this being used to deliver some story beats spoilers:
    where he is able to program the suit to protect against this sort of thing
    end of spoilers

This isn't quite on the level of the second issue, but I enjoyed it.

Plenty happens. It's adorable to have Peter and his daughter testing out his powers. Hickman's known for "cinematic" (I was going to say padded) storytelling, but this series hasn't been that. Issue 1 was the origin. Issue 2 featured the Shocker. Issue 3 had a team-up with the Green Goblin against the Shocker.

There is something funny about a Peter Parker in his thirties making rookie mistakes.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I'm still waiting for him to win a fight without help.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm still waiting for him to win a fight without help.
    It's only really a problem for me if it looks like the helper could have won the fight without Peter, which this didn't.

I was not expecting the ending to work out the way that it did, and even if it's going to a Peter / Harry fight, it doesn't look like it's going there by the most obvious route.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi