Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member rhymeswithparc's Avatar

edit to delete
    Last edited by rhymeswithparc; 12-21-2023 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I can't even...

In response to the end of the video:

No, actually, Spectacular Spider-man wasn't even close to a retelling of the comics. No cartoon has told the stories the way the comics have yet. I'm still waiting for the day when that glorious cartoon comes that actually follows the comics.

We got closest with the 90s animated series, but still, that had too many liberties and told things differently. Why can't we get a single cartoon that will follow the comics?
    Last edited by Vortex85; 10-05-2014 at 08:39 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    No, actually, Spectacular Spider-man wasn't even close to a retelling of the comics. No cartoon has told the stories the way the comics have yet. I'm still waiting for the day when that glorious cartoon comes that actually follows the comics.
    You can't wait for the day that animators lose any sense of artistic and creative freedom and use the comics for story boards?

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    You can't wait for the day that animators lose any sense of artistic and creative freedom and use the comics for story boards?
    Not story boards exactly, but actually just stick to the same story. For example, the 90s cartoon left Gwen out entirely, had Peter marry a clone MJ, and had MJ and Green Goblin stuck in an alternate dimension. They had Norman invent Hobgoblin before ever becoming Green Goblin.

In Spectacular, Peter was in high school while dating Gwen, and MJ. They had villians get created differently. Had Norman frame his son as to not be suspected by Goblin etc.

Everything I've mentioned isn't even close to the comics and thats just the start.

I love the story that the comic books told, and if I were doing a cartoon of Spider-man, I wouldn't want to change key situations, events, and stories like previous cartoons have. Sure I wouldn't tell every story in order, in exact detail and dialogue, but I would condense the story of the comics and want to honor the original stories, because they were GREAT. I'd leave out filler and unimportant villians, but recreate the 616 mythos in cartoon form. I think it would be fun to tell the story in an animated form, because it STILL has not been done yet. You can still have your own artistic creativity and license in the way you retell the story, but the key is to retell the story in 616, not create your own alternate universe version.

Same for the movies, they are telling their own story of Spider-man as opposed to keeping true to the facts of the original comics. Both Raimi and Webb have done this.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 10-05-2014 at 09:54 PM.

Astonishing Member

Like I said though, the people who make cartoons should be able to tell their own stories, drawing inspiration from the comics. The story that is told in the comics...has already been told in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Like I said though, the people who make cartoons should be able to tell their own stories, drawing inspiration from the comics. The story that is told in the comics...has already been told in the comics.
    Right, but it would be cool to see it told correclty for once in an adaptation outside of comics for all the people (majority of the world) who don't care to read comics, but may watch cartoons and/or films?

Could you imagine if film adaptations of books like Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, or Twilight, decided to reinvent the stories like comic book movies tend to, instead of telling the stories like how they happened in the books? Not to say that these films are perfect adaptations and follow the books to the letter, but the story is the same. Wouldn't fans be upset if it was otherwise?

It is misrepresenting the story IMO when told otherwise, there should be a disclaimer saying that it is not the original story. People who watch cartoons as kids assume that what they are watching is what happens in the comics, when it mostly isn't.

Mighty Member

Sorry to drag this topic back from the grave, but I have to say that is was one of the best animated adaptions of all time. Another thing I must mention is that I'm kind of glad that the show was restricted to only Spidey's corner of the Marvel Universe. With every superhero cartoon being some sort of team up nowadays, it's kind of refreshing... heck even the movies now will feature other heroes...

With every named character being from a comic series. It'd be great to do a who's who; While it wouldn't be easy for some characters (main cast, characters who talked, etc) there are some characters that are a bit more obscure. Like we know that characters like Jason Ionello and Tiny McKeever exist in the show... and we've even seen them. I know I've seen principal Davis in comics before... and interestingly enough... he looks pretty much the same in comics as he does the cartoon... only Black... well at least as much as the different art styles would allow

Principal Davis
    First Appearance: Amazing Spider-Man I#4 (September, 1963)

Looks like he's more or less the same role in comics as he is in the show... the principal of Peter's high school... not much else to say.
    Last edited by Mistah K88; 08-14-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Mighty Member

3 Image limit...

Dilbert Trilby

First Appearance Spider-Man Unlimited #3 (November, 1993)

Intestingly in comics he was an obituary writer for the Bugle, in the show he's a news reporter

Mighty Member

Sorry to be multiple posting in this thread

Mayor Waters

First Appearance: Spider-Man: Reign #1(February, 2007)

As we all know in Spectacular Spider-Man, they wanted to increase diversity in the Spider-Man universe... So they changed a lot of minor characters races. Here they didn't change the race of the character, but the gender. There wasn't too much info on this character specifically, so...below is a Wikipedia link for basically the info of the comic that (s)he came from.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_Reign)

I saw the show in college and liked it. One of the better versions of the mythos, although I think that USM still did it one better.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I'm still waiting for the day when that glorious cartoon comes that actually follows the comics.
    Comics have multiple runs, varying tones, discontinued plots, changing art styles, etc....
    It is impossible to have a cartoon ripping the comics directly.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Mighty Member

As we all know, every named character had to come from some comic book. So when it came to Hammerhead's driver lady, while they didn't say her name in the show, it was said that she came from the comics as well... The only person that anyone could find who matched her was this blonde from Gerry Conway's Gang War, who only showed up in a few panels...So we just assumed she's the same lady

Myrna

First Appearance: Amazing Spiderman #114 (November 1972)

As you know in the show she's Hammerhead's chauffeur. She was simply a "Gun Moll" in the comics where she originated

Mighty Member

Matthew Resnick

First Appearance: Spider-Man Unlimited Vol 1 1 ("Carnage Rising!")

So this guy was an officer who was murdered by Carnage...who made sure that his death was agonizing. In Spectacular, he was the warden for the Vault super prison.

Mighty Member

Jason Ionello

First Appearance: Untold Tales of Spider-Man #1 (September, 1995)

So in comics this guy was part of the in crowd with Flash, and was also Sally Avril's boyfriend in comics during the whole "Bluebird" fiasco. In this series he was a football player who was injured by Kenny Kong in season one, and he played Lysander in the M-cubed Midsumer Nights Dream.

Mighty Member

"Tiny" McKeever

First Appearance: Untold Tales of Spider-Man #1 (September, 1995)

He was also part of the popular crowd with Flash as well in comics. Not much to say about him in the show other than he got benched for poor academic performance.

These two would have been expanded on more had the show had more seasons... but as it stands, the were pretty much glorified cameos, as like Myrna, their names were never mentioned in the show...(although Jason's was on the list for Midsummer Night's Dream in the episode "Opening Night"