Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Honestly I think the opposite. Normally with Vanessa Fisk, she has no idea what Wilson is doing, she's even had him give up crime. I think Norman and Emily's love is kind of similar to the love they have for their child. I can see it being like a business partnership.

When it comes to female villains, I wonder if Stunner was ever on the table. Though I'd say Spectacular Ock was a very slimy interpretation of the character....it'd probably feel like he's taking advantage of her like he does Electro.
    You're probably right. I doubt SpecHarry received much love from his mother either, given how similar he turned out to 616 Harry.

Also, if Norman and Emily's relationship was like that of a business partnership, I'm assuming she wouldn't have been the type to approve of Norman's activities as the Green Goblin. Interestingly, this would have made SpecNorman even more of a dark mirror of Spider-Man than he already was, as both him and SpecPeter would eventually be in relationships with a partner that starts out with mixed feelings of their superhero/villain careers.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 01-25-2021 at 01:33 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    You're probably right. I doubt SpecHarry received much love from his mother either, given how similar he turned out to 616 Harry.

Also, if Norman and Emily's relationship was like that of a business partnership, I'm assuming she wouldn't have been the type to approve of Norman's activities as the Green Goblin. Interestingly, this would have made SpecNorman even more of a dark mirror of Spider-Man than he already was, as both him and SpecPeter would eventually be in relationships with a partner that starts out with mixed feelings of their superhero/villain careers.

I like to think that Norman and Emily's disagreements over costumed crime (if they had any) went like this Venture Bros scene.

A Reckoning is Nigh

I have the whole set on dvd

I have the complete series on Blu-Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Gwen Parker View Post
    I have the whole set on dvd
    Me too.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Mighty Member

Did the DVD box sets have ANY extras? Like interviews with the crew, Character art designs, or anything? I know deleted scenes are off the table as Marvel sued them for having extra scenes. But I feel that this series often gets mistreated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Did the DVD box sets have ANY extras? Like interviews with the crew, Character art designs, or anything? I know deleted scenes are off the table as Marvel sued them for having extra scenes. But I feel that this series often gets mistreated.
    My first season set had some behind the scenes stuff with the crew. I think there was footage of a script-reading with the cast and the whiteboard where Weisman has all his continuity post-it notes.

Mighty Member

After looking at more recent adaptations of Spider-Man I must ask if Spectacular's Peter didn't put as much of an emphasis on Peter being interested in "SCIENCE!" as future adaptations. Watching over some early episodes in the series, I noticed that while Peter was gifted enough to be selected with Gwen as an intern for Empire State University's lab, he seemed more interested in how much it paid than just being excited to work with these renowned biologists. Even when noting that Norman Osborn was a scientist to Harry, Peter was mainly talking about how wealthy the Osborn family was because of Norman's occupation rather than gushing about how brilliant Norman was (then again, I suppose Peter found Norman rather creepy in this series, so it may have been hard to ignore that creepiness to praise Norman's scientific achievements). When it came to father figures, in this show Peter seemed to connect more with a police captain like George Stacy (as Spider-Man) than he did with scientists like Norman (who he found creepy) and the Connors (the relationship there seemed more business like).

Even Peter's web shooters were kind of just there rather than us witnessing the conception (though it was said that there would be a focus on them in the future, probably done in flashback ala Uncle Ben origin story). We see Peter use a scientific thought process to take down Silvermane by recognizing the sounds the suit made and realized that heavy suit of armor had a power source, however it isn't as on the nose as Peter thinking in equations to stop criminals like we've seen in the most recent cartoon.

People even forget that Peter's high school in this series was a magnet (so far as even having "magnet" in it's name), thinking that adaptations like the MCU took from Miles Morales when Peter going to a specialized school was introduced in this series. It might be because Midtown Manhattan Magnet wasn't specifically a science school and had other fields of study (criminology, drama, etc) and thus had students who weren't scientific geniuses (Glory, Flash, Mary Jane, etc) that people forget that it was a specialized school.

While the universe wasn't shared due to restrictions on what could be used in a Sony based universe, even ideas of Ben Parker having an attic full of Captain America memorabilia implied that it would steer Peter to idolize a heroic figure like Steve Rogers more than brilliant minds like Norman Osborn, Tony Stark, Reed Richards, etc.

So I must ask, did Spectacular downplay Peter's interest in science too much?

Astonishing Member

It's just a change in priorities in this case. Without Ben, he needs money. It's a natural response.

I appreciated that, unlike the cartoons that succeeded it, it didn't feel like there was one part of Peter's life that was the be all, end all, of his life, whether it be Spider-Man or science.

He had a life and interests outside of that and his science know-how helped him maneuver and outwit villains without help rather than needing a gadget or tech of the month. And his life wasn't entirely consumed with being Spider-Man or making stuff that no ordinary teenager his age would be making.

Spectacular Member Voices From the Eyrie's Avatar

Man, I've been getting a lot of mileage posting this:

Astonishing Member

Weisman and Cook don't talk about why the show can't return as animated films, though. If Sony can legally make Into The Spider-Verse, what is stopping them from technically putting out an animated film that is a continuation of this series?

I'm asking because Weisman wanted to eventually continue the show through animated films, anyway.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 03-04-2021 at 08:58 AM.

Weisman and Cook don't talk about why the show can't return as animated films, though. If Sony can legally make Into The Spider-Verse, what is stopping them from technically putting out an animated film that is a continuation of this series?

I'm asking because Weisman wanted to eventually continue the show through animated films, anyway.
    Greg Weisman has that because of legal matters and Disney and Marvel owning the television rights to Spider-Man that they are not allowed to continue Spectacular period. Whether it be a continuation, animated films, a comic book, etc...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern_Maker View Post
    Greg Weisman has that because of legal matters and Disney and Marvel owning the television rights to Spider-Man that they are not allowed to continue Spectacular period. Whether it be a continuation, animated films, a comic book, etc...
    Television rights, sure (and I get why they can't make a continuation comic given it would have to be made by Marvel). But what about film rights?
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 03-04-2021 at 11:20 AM.

Television rights, sure. But what about film rights?
    I think it gets complicated when it comes to animation. It's probably why Sony hasn't released any other animated Spider-Work other than ITSV and those are feature-length.