Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    It's funny thinking about how no Spidey show has done that transition from high school to college. It's always one way or the other. Even the 90s show started with him in college and he stayed in college through the end despite being married and feeling a lot older than he probably was.
    Aging up characters is rare in animation especially in a single series. There's a belief that the animation model introduced must stay constant and never change for good. Pebbles and Bam Bam grew up in Flintstones cartoon sequels and made for TV movies but never in the original series (which admittedly did break ground by doing a pregnancy story with Wilma, and then the Rubbles adapting Bam Bam).

I honestly don't believe Weisman would have aged Peter during Spectacular.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Wait, how would this work if we can keep track of time in Spectacular?
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 03-04-2021 at 08:54 PM.

Spectacular Member Voices From the Eyrie's Avatar

Aging up characters is rare in animation especially in a single series. There's a belief that the animation model introduced must stay constant and never change for good. Pebbles and Bam Bam grew up in Flintstones cartoon sequels and made for TV movies but never in the original series (which admittedly did break ground by doing a pregnancy story with Wilma, and then the Rubbles adapting Bam Bam).

Had things gone the way he had hoped, the five seasons of the show would have covered up to his graduation, followed by DVD movies in college... and eventually him getting married.

He aged up characters in Gargoyles, too.

Even without changing models I think they coulda had Peter graduate college in the 90s show and you wouldn't have really been able to tell much difference as he already looked pretty old in that show. Spectacular had a lot of different outfits for the cast, more than I usually see in cartoons like that. Everybody had their normal outfits, and some winter attire at least too, and Gwen changed looks completely before the end of the run.

It just crossed my mind but one of the later seasons of The Batman cartoon has Bruce's design altered slightly with a squarer jaw than before but everything else was pretty much the same. I don't know if it was a case of they just wanted to alter the design or if it was a case that they wanted to show Bruce was slightly maturing more now that he had Robin and Batgirl to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Spectacular is one of the only Spider-Man series that I know of where the “It’s Always Spring” (with the exception of a Christmas episode) trope didn’t seem to apply. As the Mysterio and the Kraven episode had snow but took place before Christmas.

Did Peter graduate High School in the Ultimate cartoon? I have heard people say it happened, but it was never really clear.
    Peter just sorta dropped out of high school in that show and supplanted that with SHIELD academy and he graduated from that in the finale which is... something. Friendly neighborhood everyman!

Even without changing models I think they coulda had Peter graduate college in the 90s show and you wouldn't have really been able to tell much difference as he already looked pretty old in that show. Spectacular had a lot of different outfits for the cast, more than I usually see in cartoons like that. Everybody had their normal outfits, and some winter attire at least too, and Gwen changed looks completely before the end of the run.

It just crossed my mind but one of the later seasons of The Batman cartoon has Bruce's design altered slightly with a squarer jaw than before but everything else was pretty much the same. I don't know if it was a case of they just wanted to alter the design or if it was a case that they wanted to show Bruce was slightly maturing more now that he had Robin and Batgirl to work with.
    I think it was also make Bruce look more "Superheroic."
    Peter just sorta dropped out of high school in that show and supplanted that with SHIELD academy and he graduated from that in the finale which is... something. Friendly neighborhood everyman!
    And then he was just switching high schools in Marvel's Spider-Man. He ended up needing to go back to Midtown instead of Horizon like 2-3 times.

Astonishing Member

If the last episode of the series would have been Peter's graduation like Weisman talked about, that means Peter would have been 16-18 throughout the show. There wouldn't have been much a need to change character designs since there isn't much physical difference between a 16 year old and an 18 year old.

As for the DVD films in the college years, the new designs probably still wouldn't have been too different. At most the designs would have physically changed as much as they did for the teen characters from the first season of Young Justice.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Voices From the Eyrie View Post
    Man, I've been getting a lot of mileage posting this:

As much as it really sucks that this show got cut short, this video needs to shown towards those that don't quite understand that bringing it back would be pretty complicated and won't be as easy like with Young Justice.

Mighty Member

I was reading over the Hobgoblin saga and thought of this show (mainly because we tripped at the finish line to getting an adaptation of the Hobgoblin storyline where the Green Goblin was an already existing thing before he showed up.) As I was thinking about how this show covered Doc Ock’s greatest hits (Sinister Six, Master Planner, and Gang War) and wove them together in a cohesive way, I was wondering what the “Greatest Hits” would have been for Hobgoblin. I was thinking the discovery/modification of the Goblin formula (called Globulin Green in this show) was one, and seeing how they made Kingsley a perfume CEO definitely implies he has SOME chemistry acumen to make this work, …however then I got to stuff like the blackmail at the Century Club…Jonah has yet to create Scorpion, and Norman’s green costume is not a secret to New York anymore… so I started wondering if they would even bother with the Century Club as what leverage would Hobby even have?

Pre-Hobgoblin but Greg Weisman talked a few times about Belladonna making me think she might have been dug up and given the spotlight for an episode. It could have been another pre-costume early meeting with Kingsley for Peter. Maybe MJ was gonna model for a Kingsley perfume promo and by some chance Peter is sent to photograph it, maybe because he knows MJ but also gives him an opportunity to experience being around Kingsley again, maybe meets Daniel and he's a nice dude but then meets Roderick and he's a jerk so he's confused. I think that could have been cool to see, they obviously already included Daniel in season 2 and Roderick switched him in to participate for the more dangerous situation.

Incredible Member

I was reading over the Hobgoblin saga and thought of this show (mainly because we tripped at the finish line to getting an adaptation of the Hobgoblin storyline where the Green Goblin was an already existing thing before he showed up.) As I was thinking about how this show covered Doc Ock’s greatest hits (Sinister Six, Master Planner, and Gang War) and wove them together in a cohesive way, I was wondering what the “Greatest Hits” would have been for Hobgoblin. I was thinking the discovery/modification of the Goblin formula (called Globulin Green in this show) was one, and seeing how they made Kingsley a perfume CEO definitely implies he has SOME chemistry acumen to make this work, …however then I got to stuff like the blackmail at the Century Club…Jonah has yet to create Scorpion, and Norman’s green costume is not a secret to New York anymore… so I started wondering if they would even bother with the Century Club as what leverage would Hobby even have?
    I got the feeling we saw BOTH Roderick and Daniel Kingsley in that one gang war episode; and I'd have loved to see Ned Leeds get framed as the Hobgoblin at some point (considering how interested he was in both Spidey and Goblin)

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    I got the feeling we saw BOTH Roderick and Daniel Kingsley in that one gang war episode; and I'd have loved to see Ned Leeds get framed as the Hobgoblin at some point (considering how interested he was in both Spidey and Goblin)
    I think I read somewhere that there was a lot of cut Ned/Betty content in season 2.

We definitely did, he even says "bait and switch" after popping back in all cool and collected. Something most people probably wouldn't catch but once it all would come together would surely have blown most viewer's minds.

This stuff makes me so sad, Kingsley Hobgoblin is one of the best Spidey villains and he's never been represented right in anything besides what little we saw here which offered a ton of promise. It could have boosted his profile, instead of most fans thinking Hobgoblin is Harry or Ned Leeds for real. It pains me I tell ya.
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 09-14-2021 at 02:56 PM.

Spectacular Member Voices From the Eyrie's Avatar

We definitely did, he even says "bait and switch" after popping back in all cool and collected. Something most people probably wouldn't catch but once it all would come together would surely have blown most viewer's minds.

This stuff makes me so sad, Kingsley Hobgoblin is one of the best Spidey villains and he's never been represented right in anything besides what little we saw here which offered a ton of promise. It could have boosted his profile, instead of most fans thinking Hobgoblin is Harry or Ned Leeds for real. It pains me I tell ya.
    Before doing the podcast I'm doing now (my username and profile pic) with Greg Weisman, we did Spectacular Radio together. I love the Roderick Kingsley Hobgoblin and while he wouldn't spoil, I got as much about him as I could here: https://www.spidey-dude.com/spectacu...-greg-weisman/

Mighty Member

From what we saw of Kingsley, they nailed it. Roderick wants to get into the world of organized crime, but was inexperienced. He was savvy enough to know these crooks wouldn't just let him walk off with his prize after he outbid them, but not enough to know how far they'd go for it. I think just like in comics, the Belladonna incident will get Spidey to directly interact with Kingsley.

As for Ned, his framing does seem to be one of Hobgoblin's greatest hits. I do think it would have been better than getting murdered off screen. I'm very curious to know how they would have handled Ned's reveal, would he be imprisoned? killed? I have a feeling the extended Bugle cast would have gotten more to do in Season 3 as the whole Hobgoblin storyline is Ned's thing, Tombstone (as a thug) was specifically Robbie's thing, much like "The Big Man" was always Fredrick Foswell's thing.

With them being restricted to Spidey's corner of the Marvel Universe, I'm curious what else would they have pulled from series like Scarlet Spider (as they already pulled the FBI agents Joe Wade and Stephanie Briggs).

He mentioned in an interview that he was just copying what Stan Lee did on the comics with the characters growing, so if he had his way, he likely would have allowed Peter to age, but who knows if Marvel would let him.

From what we saw of Kingsley, they nailed it. Roderick wants to get into the world of organized crime, but was inexperienced. He was savvy enough to know these crooks wouldn't just let him walk off with his prize after he outbid them, but not enough to know how far they'd go for it. I think just like in comics, the Belladonna incident will get Spidey to directly interact with Kingsley.
    Would be better if Roderick stayed "inexperienced" like that, a villain who can perfectly guess how everyone's gonna act is really boring, the way he outsmarted everyone but still ended up failing was fine, and if he got to win in another opportunity, then I think it'd be better to be more or less like this, 'cause a villain whose plans work too perfectly is really not that insteresting to see.