Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536 LastLast
Results 481 to 495 of 531
  1. #481
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    It would be nice to get a quality Spidey show again. We're gonna be left in a bit of a drought on that front with just the preschool show from Marvel/Disney, but even before that the stuff from the past decade has been less than ideal quality imo. I think sometimes it feels like the eras of stellar animated superhero cartoons is past us because things are just in a different place where they don't even make as many of them as they used to.
    I think Batman is on the same spot, complete with the preschool series.

    But yeah, there's not really much in the way for action-oriented superhero cartoons. Most of the recent ones like Big Hero 6, Stretch Armstrong, Avengers Assemble, and Marvel's Spider-Man have wrapped up. Everything else is comedic or intended for smaller children. I think Young Justice and What If? are the only ones left, and the latter I'm not even THAT excited because it's still too derivative of the MCU.

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    In hindsight, part of the reason why the villains in this series are better received is because none of the fodder that Spider-Man fights are supervillains. The Disney shows use supervillains as fodder way too much.
    Oh yeah. This show actually broke up the usual superhero fights with Spidey occasionally fighting regular crooks. I don't think recent superhero cartoons really do that much. The last one was maybe Beware the Batman, but I could be wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Voices From the Eyrie View Post
    It’s finally here! The final interview. The Final Curtain. Zach and Greg are rejoined by Greg Weisman and Victor Cook in their longest interview yet discuss in detail the final episode of the series, but also discuss the way the backgrounds tell the story of each home or office, how they kept the reveal to be as satisfying as it was, the difference between a cliffhanger and open-ended storytelling, and definitively… the reason there was no season three. A MUST-LISTEN for any fan of the series. There’s a lot packed in here that I don’t mention, but trust us, there’s a ton here.

    NEXT EPISODE: We will be playing your voicemails, and reading your emails. Special guests from the past may show up, but we will be throwing the biggest finale party yet.
    Email is Spectacularradio@gmail.com
    Voicemail line is 818-925-6631

    https://www.spidey-dude.com/spectacu...n-victor-cook/
    I'm listening to this tonight. I can't wait!

  2. #482
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    62,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Oh yeah. This show actually broke up the usual superhero fights with Spidey occasionally fighting regular crooks. I don't think recent superhero cartoons really do that much. The last one was maybe Beware the Batman, but I could be wrong.
    You mentioned Stretch Armstrong and The Flex Fighters. I'm pretty sure we occasionally showed them fighting normal crime. I know specifically there was a scene in one episode of Stretch foiling a robbery in progress (and one of the crooks was a woman, which I found kind of neat).

  3. #483
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You mentioned Stretch Armstrong and The Flex Fighters. I'm pretty sure we occasionally showed them fighting normal crime. I know specifically there was a scene in one episode of Stretch foiling a robbery in progress (and one of the crooks was a woman, which I found kind of neat).
    I could've sworn those were the Old Town crime gangs, and I didn't know whether to count them since they had their supervillain-like gimmicks, but I think you're right.

    Spectacular Spider-Man also had a couple of female goons, mainly one of Tombstone's bodyguards and at least one of the pumpkin heads. I wish the show had more female villains, especially since both Black Cat and Silver Sable usually become anti-heroes. The only ones I think they were setting up were Belladonna (via Kinglsey's perfume company ownership) and maybe Emily Osborn.

  4. #484
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Really curious how Emily Osborn would have turned out. Greg Weisman is great at writing female villains (see Demona) and the show has a reputation of being Spidey's equivalent to BTAS. Emily might have grown to be a popular character in comics like Mercy Graves and Harley Quinn had the show kept going.

  5. #485
    Amazing Member Voices From the Eyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Really curious how Emily Osborn would have turned out. Greg Weisman is great at writing female villains (see Demona) and the show has a reputation of being Spidey's equivalent to BTAS. Emily might have grown to be a popular character in comics like Mercy Graves and Harley Quinn had the show kept going.
    He had hoped to cast Marina Sirtis... so the Demona reference is appropriate. A shame we'll never know... but I suspect it would have been far better than that wet fart of a return she received at the end of Slott's run.

  6. #486
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    62,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    I could've sworn those were the Old Town crime gangs, and I didn't know whether to count them since they had their supervillain-like gimmicks, but I think you're right.

    Spectacular Spider-Man also had a couple of female goons, mainly one of Tombstone's bodyguards and at least one of the pumpkin heads. I wish the show had more female villains, especially since both Black Cat and Silver Sable usually become anti-heroes. The only ones I think they were setting up were Belladonna (via Kinglsey's perfume company ownership) and maybe Emily Osborn.
    There was also Hammerhead's driver, who I think was supposed to be based on a gun moll he had in a comic once.

    I didn't outright hate the whole Silvermane/Silver Sable thing but it kind of kept up the trend in animation of making Sable more villainous than she's supposed to be, even if Weisman was planning to make her more like her comic self eventually. I guess part of the reason they did it is the lack of Spidey having good female villains.

    I wonder if they'd do more with Calypso because she kind of vanished after Kraven's first episode. What would they have done with White Rabbit?

  7. #487
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There was also Hammerhead's driver, who I think was supposed to be based on a gun moll he had in a comic once.

    I didn't outright hate the whole Silvermane/Silver Sable thing but it kind of kept up the trend in animation of making Sable more villainous than she's supposed to be, even if Weisman was planning to make her more like her comic self eventually. I guess part of the reason they did it is the lack of Spidey having good female villains.

    I wonder if they'd do more with Calypso because she kind of vanished after Kraven's first episode. What would they have done with White Rabbit?
    See, now I feel bad I forgot about Calypso and The Driver That Might Be Myrna.

    I think that's the risk of having long-term plans for the series. Some characters that there were bigger plans for, like Sable, end up coming up as kind of shallow or underdeveloped. I'm glad the show paced itself out and didn't try to do everything, but yeah. I will say she still comes up looking better than the weird authoritarian Sable we got in PS4 Spider-Man that they sloppily tried to redeem later.

    As for female villains, White Rabbit or Screwball could be fun, but definitely sillier villains. I think you could do one or the other since both pretty much became criminals for the pure thrill of it. I have a soft spot for Coldheart. Spider-Man doesn't really have a consistent villain with a cold/freeze gimmick and her cryo-sword is pretty neat. Paper Doll is one of the least awful BND ideas. Just rework her motivation so it's more compelling than just being a single-minded stalker.

  8. #488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Ultimate has the Avengers getting bodied by Kraven or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I remember Kraven taking out all of Spidey's team except for him and White Tiger.
    That happened in his season 2 debut, and what Trinkling said happened in the closing arc for season 3; 'Contest of Champions', that was originally made to be the series finale before it found success on Netflix and it encouraged them to make 26 more episodes.

    Kraven drugged Hulk, and then Iron Man flew a distance behind running Kraven who lured him to be captured by Molten Man.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

  9. #489
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I remember some speculating that Macendale already was in the show either as one of those goons in the first Green Goblin episode or one of the goons in the final episode (the pumpkin head that drove away with the truck in the opening).
    The fact that even Eddie's dorm room mate who we saw for a split second max was a named character in comic books means that ANYTHING was possible. I wouldn't be surprised. Speaking of Josh Kittling, I can only wonder if they would have Crisis on Campus sooner or later...I mean its a really random character to actually put into an adaptation when we probably wouldn't have cared if he was nameless.

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    In hindsight, part of the reason why the villains in this series are better received is because none of the fodder that Spider-Man fights are supervillains. The Disney shows use supervillains as fodder way too much.
    You could ALMOST count Sandman and Rhino as fodder...BUT this is before they've become supervillains. The show was brilliant in introducing these characters early on. It's funny how later shows have supervillains appear out of no where just for a bit role... I was so mad about Scorpion in Marvel's Spider-Man (2017). From what I know he appeared multiple times and we still know next to nothing about him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Voices From the Eyrie View Post
    Itís finally here! The final interview. The Final Curtain. Zach and Greg are rejoined by Greg Weisman and Victor Cook in their longest interview yet discuss in detail the final episode of the series, but also discuss the way the backgrounds tell the story of each home or office, how they kept the reveal to be as satisfying as it was, the difference between a cliffhanger and open-ended storytelling, and definitivelyÖ the reason there was no season three. A MUST-LISTEN for any fan of the series. Thereís a lot packed in here that I donít mention, but trust us, thereís a ton here.

    NEXT EPISODE: We will be playing your voicemails, and reading your emails. Special guests from the past may show up, but we will be throwing the biggest finale party yet.
    Email is Spectacularradio@gmail.com
    Voicemail line is 818-925-6631

    https://www.spidey-dude.com/spectacu...n-victor-cook/
    Thanks again for running these podcasts, I always like hearing some of the creators thought processes on the show and learning the production secrets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern_Maker View Post
    Probably helped that Spectacular's world only had Spider-Man as the sole superhero, even if Greg Weisman wanted to do team-ups if they were allowed to use certain characters.
    I will say that this show managed to make the best of their restriction of using only Spider-Man related characters. We wouldn't have seen characters like the FBI's Stephanie Briggs and Joe Wade of the Scarlet Spider books and probably would have just gotten Nick Fury and Maria Hill of SHEILD.

    Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Spectacular Spider-Man also had a couple of female goons, mainly one of Tombstone's bodyguards and at least one of the pumpkin heads. I wish the show had more female villains, especially since both Black Cat and Silver Sable usually become anti-heroes. The only ones I think they were setting up were Belladonna (via Kinglsey's perfume company ownership) and maybe Emily Osborn.
    I'm curious to know how long they would have kept Belladonna around and what other storylines would she have been a part of after the attack on Kingsley. Most villains in this show never really fully disappeared after their first appearance and still showed up, like Chameleon working with Norman, or the other Enforcers getting an upgrade to match with Shocker, Tinkerer freelancing and working with every mob boss in the city, even Vulture putting his feud with Norman on hold to help his buddy Otto. WOuld she join an iteration of the Sinister Six? Would she try to become a crime lord now that the Big Man is knocked off his perch and now everyone wants a piece of that New York pie? Would Hobgoblin pick a fight with her? Just like I wonder if Adrian Toomes and Otto Octavius cracked a bottle of champagne when Norman was outed as a costumed criminal and "died" in this show, I wonder if she popped a bottle when Kingsley was finally outed and sent to jail in comics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There was also Hammerhead's driver, who I think was supposed to be based on a gun moll he had in a comic once.

    I didn't outright hate the whole Silvermane/Silver Sable thing but it kind of kept up the trend in animation of making Sable more villainous than she's supposed to be, even if Weisman was planning to make her more like her comic self eventually. I guess part of the reason they did it is the lack of Spidey having good female villains.

    I wonder if they'd do more with Calypso because she kind of vanished after Kraven's first episode. What would they have done with White Rabbit?
    Greg wouldn't confirm or deny if Hammerhead's driver was supposed to be Myrna...but my head canon says she is (I even looked up the character [page 4 in this thread])

    I do think that Calypso would have been used again, as they hinted to her magic in the sole episode she appeared in. I'm willing to say that she might have a part in turning Curt Connors into the Lizard again...as I definitely don't see Curt doing ANYTHING with that stuff again (he only turned into the Lizard once and it still finds a way to ruin his life).

  10. #490
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    62,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    I think that's the risk of having long-term plans for the series. Some characters that there were bigger plans for, like Sable, end up coming up as kind of shallow or underdeveloped. I'm glad the show paced itself out and didn't try to do everything, but yeah. I will say she still comes up looking better than the weird authoritarian Sable we got in PS4 Spider-Man that they sloppily tried to redeem later.
    At least she wasn't Sable in the Marvel's Spider-Man cartoon who became a Doc Ock cheerleader while committing domestic terrorism for seemingly no reason.
    As for female villains, White Rabbit or Screwball could be fun, but definitely sillier villains. I think you could do one or the other since both pretty much became criminals for the pure thrill of it. I have a soft spot for Coldheart. Spider-Man doesn't really have a consistent villain with a cold/freeze gimmick and her cryo-sword is pretty neat. Paper Doll is one of the least awful BND ideas. Just rework her motivation so it's more compelling than just being a single-minded stalker.
    Joystick would've been cool, although she's more of a Ben villain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    You could ALMOST count Sandman and Rhino as fodder...BUT this is before they've become supervillains. The show was brilliant in introducing these characters early on. It's funny how later shows have supervillains appear out of no where just for a bit role... I was so mad about Scorpion in Marvel's Spider-Man (2017). From what I know he appeared multiple times and we still know next to nothing about him.
    The same could be said for 70% of the villains on the show. Most of them never even got their real names out there, or just got 15-minutes to themselves during that "Bring on the Bad Guys" arc. Not counting that Spider-Geddon tie-in, I'm amazed they only used Mysterio once (ironically voiced by Electro/Crispin Freeman).
    I will say that this show managed to make the best of their restriction of using only Spider-Man related characters. We wouldn't have seen characters like the FBI's Stephanie Briggs and Joe Wade of the Scarlet Spider books and probably would have just gotten Nick Fury and Maria Hill of SHEILD.
    I remember watching the 90's cartoon where Nick Fury was practically a recurring character. It was kind of wild.
    I'm curious to know how long they would have kept Belladonna around and what other storylines would she have been a part of after the attack on Kingsley. Most villains in this show never really fully disappeared after their first appearance and still showed up, like Chameleon working with Norman, or the other Enforcers getting an upgrade to match with Shocker, Tinkerer freelancing and working with every mob boss in the city, even Vulture putting his feud with Norman on hold to help his buddy Otto. WOuld she join an iteration of the Sinister Six? Would she try to become a crime lord now that the Big Man is knocked off his perch and now everyone wants a piece of that New York pie? Would Hobgoblin pick a fight with her? Just like I wonder if Adrian Toomes and Otto Octavius cracked a bottle of champagne when Norman was outed as a costumed criminal and "died" in this show, I wonder if she popped a bottle when Kingsley was finally outed and sent to jail in comics.
    I'm curious how they would've upgraded her skillset.
    I do think that Calypso would have been used again, as they hinted to her magic in the sole episode she appeared in. I'm willing to say that she might have a part in turning Curt Connors into the Lizard again...as I definitely don't see Curt doing ANYTHING with that stuff again (he only turned into the Lizard once and it still finds a way to ruin his life).
    I just assumed the cure would eventually stop working and the lizard genes would take over (because the Lizard cures never stick).

  11. #491
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Voices From the Eyrie View Post
    He had hoped to cast Marina Sirtis... so the Demona reference is appropriate. A shame we'll never know... but I suspect it would have been far better than that wet fart of a return she received at the end of Slott's run.
    Wait, that's right! I totally forgot he was planning to cast Marina Sirtis as Emily.

    What I also find interesting is that SpecNorman doesn't strike me as a guy that would love his wife the way Fisk loves Vanessa. I mean, he has no problem abandoning her at the end of Season 2. This leads me to believe that Emily would've had complete agency and not be in any way an accomplice to Norman.

  12. #492
    Astonishing Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    4,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Joystick would've been cool, although she's more of a Ben villain.
    Agreed. The T-Bolts version is definitely a favorite...





    Other female super-villains I'd add would be Skein (formerly Gypsy Moth) & Man-Killer (A.K.A. Amazon):

    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-24-2021 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

  13. #493

    Default

    Skein is a bad villain that shouldn't be adapted. The power to rip people's clothes, what is that embarrassment?
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

  14. #494
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Wait, that's right! I totally forgot he was planning to cast Marina Sirtis as Emily.

    What I also find interesting is that SpecNorman doesn't strike me as a guy that would love his wife the way Fisk loves Vanessa. I mean, he has no problem abandoning her at the end of Season 2. This leads me to believe that Emily would've had complete agency and not be in any way an accomplice to Norman.
    Honestly I think the opposite. Normally with Vanessa Fisk, she has no idea what Wilson is doing, she's even had him give up crime. I think Norman and Emily's love is kind of similar to the love they have for their child. I can see it being like a business partnership.

    When it comes to female villains, I wonder if Stunner was ever on the table. Though I'd say Spectacular Ock was a very slimy interpretation of the character....it'd probably feel like he's taking advantage of her like he does Electro.

  15. #495
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    62,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Honestly I think the opposite. Normally with Vanessa Fisk, she has no idea what Wilson is doing, she's even had him give up crime. I think Norman and Emily's love is kind of similar to the love they have for their child. I can see it being like a business partnership.

    When it comes to female villains, I wonder if Stunner was ever on the table. Though I'd say Spectacular Ock was a very slimy interpretation of the character....it'd probably feel like he's taking advantage of her like he does Electro.
    It might have come off that way, but Spec Ock for all his viciousness still seemed fairly classy to the ladies...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •