Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I liked this series, but it really pissed me that the cancelled it so soon. I would have liked to see what surprises it would have given us in Season 3. Some clues were aimimng at HydroMan, Carnage and the HobGoblin. And with Miles Warren in the series, we could have a Clone Saga at some point.

Mighty Member

... with the original plans being 5 seasons of Peter going through high school and more adult oriented DTVs I start to wonder what stories they had in mind. Sure there is the obvious Death of Gwen Stacy (as it seems like everyone tended to avoid her until this series brought her back into the public eye), but what about the Death of Jean DeWolff? They took the time to establish Jean not trusting Spider-Man in this series, with her partner Stan Carter being supportive of vigilante activity...sometimes to a chilling degree "'If you ask me Spidey hasn't gone far enough".

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    ... with the original plans being 5 seasons of Peter going through high school and more adult oriented DTVs I start to wonder what stories they had in mind. Sure there is the obvious Death of Gwen Stacy (as it seems like everyone tended to avoid her until this series brought her back into the public eye), but what about the Death of Jean DeWolff? They took the time to establish Jean not trusting Spider-Man in this series, with her partner Stan Carter being supportive of vigilante activity...sometimes to a chilling degree "'If you ask me Spidey hasn't gone far enough".
    I'm curious if they would have developed DeWolff into Spidey's main police confidante, and what that would mean for Captain Stacy.

Mighty Member

Sorry to resurrect this thread back from the dead, but I've asked a question regarding the dating of some animated series. It has been over a decade since this show premiered and things have changed quite a bit since 2008-2009. Does anything in this show feel dated at all?

The only thing I can think of are moments like Stan Lee and Aunt May name dropping the show Punk'd.

Astonishing Member

Sorry to resurrect this thread back from the dead, but I've asked a question regarding the dating of some animated series. It has been over a decade since this show premiered and things have changed quite a bit since 2008-2009. Does anything in this show feel dated at all?

The only thing I can think of are moments like Stan Lee and Aunt May name dropping the show Punk'd.
    Doesn't feel dated to me. The pinnacle of Spider-Man and Marvel cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Doesn't feel dated to me. The pinnacle of Spider-Man and Marvel cartoons.
    I feel the same way. It is still the best animated Spidey series ever, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I think Spec is pretty evergreen as far as adaptions go.

Ironically we've had 3 "modern" Spider-Man cartoons in close sequence to each other but it's the first and oldest that holds up the best.

I've brought this up on other boards but recently I'm fixating on the idea of "what would it take" for revivals of a show like this, or even the other Sony Spidey show. Obviously Marvel owns the rights for regular 22 minute TV shows with Spidey (and up to 44 minutes, for any Spidey related character). But Sony still owns the TV rights for Spidey for 45 minute or longer episode shows, and animated movies theatrical or otherwise. So my thinking is, with a little doing on Sony Television's part in trying to get essential crew members back for these old shows, and getting the approval from Marvel to do so, why can't it be revived as 45 minute specials or direct to TV specials? Marvel's got their own agenda with the preschool Spidey show next year for Disney Jr., beyond that we don't know of any future Spidey TV animation plans. I think the Spidey brand is strong enough to let Sony do their own show for older audiences while Marvel has the preschool show and all Spidey merchandise rights period. I mean if it's good then everybody would win, no?

Marvel let Fox do some X-Men related TV shows a few years ago. Sony apparently is developing Spidey shows with Lord/Miller, so why can't they bring back old Sony Spidey shows in a different way that never got resolutions and had more stories to tell?
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 02-28-2020 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I've brought this up on other boards but recently I'm fixating on the idea of "what would it take" for revivals of a show like this, or even the other Sony Spidey show. Obviously Marvel owns the rights for regular 22 minute TV shows with Spidey (and up to 44 minutes, for any Spidey related character). But Sony still owns the TV rights for Spidey for 45 minute or longer episode shows, and animated movies theatrical or otherwise. So my thinking is, with a little doing on Sony Television's part in trying to get essential crew members back for these old shows, and getting the approval from Marvel to do so, why can't it be revived as 45 minute specials or direct to TV specials? Marvel's got their own agenda with the preschool Spidey show next year for Disney Jr., beyond that we don't know of any future Spidey TV animation plans. I think the Spidey brand is strong enough to let Sony do their own show for older audiences while Marvel has the preschool show and all Spidey merchandise rights period. I mean if it's good then everybody would win, no?

Marvel let Fox do some X-Men related TV shows a few years ago. Sony apparently is developing Spidey shows with Lord/Miller, so why can't they bring back old Sony Spidey shows in a different way that never got resolutions and had more stories to tell?
    I would totally be down for it .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As would I.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    As would I.
    Me too. I LOVE Spectacular Spider-Man: The Animated Series.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 02-29-2020 at 02:12 PM.

Mighty Member

I'm game for it as well.

Spectacular started as DTV movies anyway with each arc being a movie (I think only the first arc "Attack of the Lizard" made it without being split up into episodes, and thus had some extra scenes intact) so Sony's current TV and animation rights definitely work with the format the show had. I'd even say that continuing the show via its inception would be a preferred route due to having the ability to include small scenes like Rhino punching a bullet, and major revelations like Shocker being taken away by disguised Enforcers after the the first Sinister Six fight (which explains why the other villains were shown to escape from their containment, while Shocker just appeared in season 2). There were quite a few things cut to keep things within the 22 minute time slot, could you imagine how much better things would be if everything was included.

While we all have our favorite episodes, I'm wondering what everyone's favorite arc was in the show.

Biology 101 (Attack of the Lizard)
    Economics 101 (Rise of the Super Villains)
    Chemistry 101 (Green Goblin Strikes)
    Psychology 101 (Black Suit)

Engineering 101 (Master Planner)
    Human Development 101 (Venom Returns)
    Criminology 101 (Gang War Begins)
    Drama 101 (Return of the Green Goblin)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I feel the same way. It is still the best animated Spidey series ever, IMO.
    Cheers for agreeing!

Same here.

While we all have our favorite episodes, I'm wondering what everyone's favorite arc was in the show.
    Think this was the best take on the black suit/Venom saga. Also really liked the new take on the Green Goblin.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Think this was the best take on the black suit/Venom saga. Also really liked the new take on the Green Goblin.
    Agreed on both counts. I especially liked the new take on the formation of the Sinister Six, and how each member joined up with Otto.