Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed on both counts. I especially liked the new take on the formation of the Sinister Six, and how each member joined up with Otto.
    Sometimes the arcs bled into each other a bit. The Sinister Six formation, while starting as Otto's "Spider-Man revenge squad" of some of his most notable enemies was actually the progenitor of Octavius becoming a major player in the world of organized crime. They definitely made a point to mention that the Master Planner cornered the supervillain racket; with things like Sandman doing anything for the Big Man having a fee taken out for services, or Foswell mentioning that the new wave of super criminals was linked to Ock's criminal empire.

I'd say that the Gang War was one of my favorites, and I was looking forward to seeing it continue since what we saw was just the beginning of it. The big three crime lords of NYC being knocked down was the result, thus every small time hood was going to attempt to claim that position. With characters like Kingpin, Owl, and possibly even the Rose out of bounds, I'm curious to know who they would have pulled, Lucky Lobo? Lobo Bros? Crime Master? Don Fortunado? They've used plenty of MINOR characters before so it definitely would be a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Sometimes the arcs bled into each other a bit. The Sinister Six formation, while starting as Otto's "Spider-Man revenge squad" of some of his most notable enemies was actually the progenitor of Octavius becoming a major player in the world of organized crime. They definitely made a point to mention that the Master Planner cornered the supervillain racket; with things like Sandman doing anything for the Big Man having a fee taken out for services, or Foswell mentioning that the new wave of super criminals was linked to Ock's criminal empire.

I'd say that the Gang War was one of my favorites, and I was looking forward to seeing it continue since what we saw was just the beginning of it. The big three crime lords of NYC being knocked down was the result, thus every small time hood was going to attempt to claim that position. With characters like Kingpin, Owl, and possibly even the Rose out of bounds, I'm curious to know who they would have pulled, Lucky Lobo? Lobo Bros? Crime Master? Don Fortunado? They've used plenty of MINOR characters before so it definitely would be a surprise.
    I will never forget Spider-Man single-handedly taking down Tombstone, Silvermane and Doc Ock all in one night. The current cartoon Spider-Man can sometimes barely fight one villain without needing help.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I will never forget Spider-Man single-handedly taking down Tombstone, Silvermane and Doc Ock all in one night. The current cartoon Spider-Man can sometimes barely fight one villain without needing help.
    And set to an operatic theme without any dialogue. Man, talk about being innovative.

Mighty Member

I do think that the origination of supervillains (mob funded "playmates" for the super hero while small time crooks pick the city clean) was a brilliant move, and was hoping that the MCU would adapt that for Spider-Man (as it makes a LOT of sense in a world of superheroes that smaller time crooks would be beneath someone like Iron Man [he even points that out in Homecoming]). Granted this came back to bite the Big Man in the butt when supervillainy started to become heavy competition with the Green Goblin and the Master Planner trying to usurp his throne, but I felt that the organized crime involvement made things out of Spider-Man's league, but not a world ending threat (i.e. something that Spidey can't just punch his way through to beat [nature abhors a vaccuum]).

I do think that the origination of supervillains (mob funded "playmates" for the super hero while small time crooks pick the city clean) was a brilliant move, and was hoping that the MCU would adapt that for Spider-Man (as it makes a LOT of sense in a world of superheroes that smaller time crooks would be beneath someone like Iron Man [he even points that out in Homecoming]). Granted this came back to bite the Big Man in the butt when supervillainy started to become heavy competition with the Green Goblin and the Master Planner trying to usurp his throne, but I felt that the organized crime involvement made things out of Spider-Man's league, but not a world ending threat (i.e. something that Spidey can't just punch his way through to beat [nature abhors a vaccuum]).
    I was a little bummed that the one time we see Spidey fight organized crime in the MCU is a throwaway scene in Far From Home with him in that ridiculously bulletproof Iron Spider suit.

But who needs crime bosses when Tony Stark can inadvertently create baddies ?

CBR looked at IMDB's highest-rated episodes. Users really liked the show's take on the alien costume saga.

https://www.cbr.com/spectacular-spid...episodes-imdb/
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    CBR looked at IMDB's highest-rated episodes. Users really liked the show's take on the alien costume saga.

Intervention was and remains my #1 episode. Great way of retelling the origin and how Peter defeats the symbiote.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

That's a strong selection of episodes, but I don't know if I'd agree with number one.

Mighty Member

I always love hearing behind the scenes stuff as we get a little into what goes into the process of making these shows.

Some things to note are:
    Higher ups thought the end of episode Spidey signal web transitions would confuse kids...(I've always heard that when it comes to children's cartoons that network executives think kid are dumb as rocks, but hearing this made me think "seriously?")

Apparently "Face it Tiger, you just hit the Jackpot" made Mary Jane sound too conceited, and the Spectacular Spider-Man team had to fight to have Mary Jane say this line.

Higher ups also wanted the line "I can't let Harry lose his dad the way I lost Uncle Ben" removed for some reason (this was before the "don't invoke his name" thing we got going in modern movies...so this strikes me as odd, but unsurprising).

Apparently "Face it Tiger, you just hit the Jackpot" made Mary Jane sound too conceited, and the Spectacular Spider-Man team had to fight to have Mary Jane say this line.

Higher ups also wanted the line "I can't let Harry lose his dad the way I lost Uncle Ben" removed for some reason (this was before the "don't invoke his name" thing we got going in modern movies...so this strikes me as odd, but unsurprising).
    I'm glad they fought to keep MJ's catchphrase given it's very important on a lot of levels. Even the 90's show used it and they had mandate after mandate .

I guess they didn't want a subtle allusion to death more than they didn't want to refer to Uncle Ben.

Astonishing Member

Aside from its great quality, this show is an interesting time capsule. This was the first Spider-Man outside of the comics to focus on Peter's high school years. I remember when it first came out, a lot of people didn't know that Peter first became Spider-Man in high school and not in college. Flash forward to 2020 and we are being spammed with High School Spider-Man. I wonder if the success of this show is in any way responsible for Sony/Disney's over-reliance on the high school years.

This show also does an interesting idea with the Green Goblin I haven't seen before: The Green Goblin is an evolving character like Spider-Man. That is how he goes from being an unknown to taking over a whole empire by the end. I wish the comics would put more emphasis on this. It would explain how Norman also becomes an Avengers villain by the time Peter gets to be a 28-year old high school teacher and an Avenger.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 08-25-2020 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Aside from how its great quality, this show is an interesting time capsule. This was the first Spider-Man outside of the comics to focus on Peter's high school years. I remember when it first came out, a lot of people didn't know that Peter first became Spider-Man in high school and not in college. Flash forward to 2020 and we are being spammed with High School Spider-Man. I wonder if the success of this show is in any way responsible for Sony/Disney's over-reliance on the high school years.
    Is probably this and the influence of Bendis Ultimate Spider-Man.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Is probably this and the influence of Bendis Ultimate Spider-Man.
    True. Also this show revived interest in Gwen more than anything else. Only other popular versions of Gwen since then have been Emma Stone's and Spider-Gwen, but even the former was inspired by this show.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    True. Also this show revived interest in Gwen more than anything else. Only other popular versions of Gwen since then have been Emma Stone's and Spider-Gwen, but even the former was inspired by this show.
    Yup, before Spec i think than the last episode of the TAS cartoon was the only time that she appeared in other media. Althought i always assumed that Emma Stone take was based in Ultimate MJ to an extent.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Yup, before Spec i think than the last episode of the TAS cartoon was the only time that she appeared in other media. Althought i always assumed that Emma Stone take was based in Ultimate MJ to an extent.
    I think her being a science genius and working for Doc Connors as her assistant came from this show. I don't know for sure, though.