Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I always like to think that whenever we see Quentin talk, he’s the real deal. When his mask is taken off you can tell he’s playing a character role as Mysterio (in comparison to Norman who goes to explain himself as the Goblin). Whenever we see the bot it has a blank stare...

I will say that “You think the Master Planner has a...master plan” line was being a smartass.
    If that's the case then he probably was in prison for a while, considering that he gave an interview when Venom spilled the beans about Spider-Man's identity, at some point he put the robot there before escaping.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    He even cried on camera when he was talking about Gwen's death lol.
    Now that must've been great acting, 'cause he probably wanted to laugh .

And yes i was making a reference to that story too lol, once i heard someone describing it as "an event comic when i feel i'm reading the tie-ins only" is such weird tale.
    I guess that's one way to describe it, if it's tie-ins where the events are only talked about... And then there's the over extended dinner scene, sheesh lol.

That story was one of the things made me realize that Tom King's writing style made him into a much, much more extreme version of Slott's "Hit or miss" weakness, 'cause it seems he either writes damn good stuff, or "I can't believe I was actually optmistic when I thought HiC was only going to be about as bad as Identity Crisis" level of bad, and I dropped his Batman run before the really bad stuff happened, like The Gift, or the "marriage" issue.

I always like to think that whenever we see Quentin talk, he’s the real deal. When his mask is taken off you can tell he’s playing a character role as Mysterio (in comparison to Norman who goes to explain himself as the Goblin). Whenever we see the bot it has a blank stare...
    I dunno about that, Quentin was talking when Spidey arrested him the first time, and that one was a robot, maybe it was remote controlled? After all, Quentin was hiding, so maybe he was controlling the robot while he was in that basement, and talking for it, and maybe he did that with the robot in season 2 in the Venom episode, assuming that one was a robot too lol.

I will say that “You think the Master Planner has a...master plan” line was being a smartass.
    He probably was waiting for a chance to use that one .

If that's the case then he probably was in prison for a while, considering that he gave an interview when Venom spilled the beans about Spider-Man's identity, at some point he put the robot there before escaping.
    And if that's the case, the question is how, since building a robot like that in prison would be complicated, and it doesn't look like Otto did anything to free anyone, so he'd be by himself... Another question we won't get the answer to lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Now that must've been great acting, 'cause he probably wanted to laugh .

I guess that's one way to describe it, if it's tie-ins where the events are only talked about... And then there's the over extended dinner scene, sheesh lol.

That story was one of the things made me realize that Tom King's writing style made him into a much, much more extreme version of Slott's "Hit or miss" weakness, 'cause it seems he either writes damn good stuff, or "I can't believe I was actually optmistic when I thought HiC was only going to be about as bad as Identity Crisis" level of bad, and I dropped his Batman run before the really bad stuff happened, like The Gift, or the "marriage" issue.

I dunno about that, Quentin was talking when Spidey arrested him the first time, and that one was a robot, maybe it was remote controlled? After all, Quentin was hiding, so maybe he was controlling the robot while he was in that basement, and talking for it, and maybe he did that with the robot in season 2 in the Venom episode, assuming that one was a robot too lol.

He probably was waiting for a chance to use that one .

And if that's the case, the question is how, since building a robot like that in prison would be complicated, and it doesn't look like Otto did anything to free anyone, so he'd be by himself... Another question we won't get the answer to lol.
    I'm convinced that he would have broken characther if it wasn't for Peter fuming in anger (he did that right in front of him, just to make it worse), getting a kick out of Peter's suffering is a hell of a motivator for Norman.

Oh man The Gift is awfull, maybe is not the worst arc, but is definetly the most memorable one for me, for insame everything is, just the premise alone of Booster being motivated by "For The Man Who Has Everything" somehow believing than the Black Mercy as a great gift, to Alt Bruce Wayne and Selina's actions. Also i did have some small hope for HiC, but they were quickly destroyed like 10 pages in, long before the twist.

In a happier note i watched the first 3 episodes of Strecht Armstrong in Netflix, i can definetly see why Frontier got a Spectacular Spider-Man vibe from it, is pretty fun, althought it also makes me think on Totally Spies for some reason, maybe is the main characthers colors lol.
    Last edited by TheCape; 12-13-2020 at 09:05 AM.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

In a happier i watched the first 3 episodes of Strecht Armstrong in Netflix, i can definetly see why Frontier got a Spectacular Spider-Man vibe from it, is pretty fun, althought it also makes me think on Totally Spies for some reason, maybe is the main characthers colors lol.
    Never thought I'd see that comparison, but they are a trio of heroes in primary colors fighting colorful bad guys. Just on the opposite gender spectrum .

I'm convinced that he would have broken characther if it wasn't for Peter fuming in anger (he did that right in front of him, just to make it worse), getting a kick out of Peter's suffering is a hell of a motivator for Norman.
    Spite is a powerful motivator yeah lol.

Oh man The Gift is awfull, maybe is not the worst arc, but is definetly the most memorable one for me, for insame everything is, just the premise alone of Booster being motivated by "For The Man Who Has Everything" somehow believing than the Black Mercy as a great gift, to Alt Bruce Wayne and Selina's actions.
    Yeah, was lucky to drop it before that nonsense (Think I dropped it after Bruce asked to marry Selina, and they fought Talia? Around there...), and funnily enough, if I even reached The Gift, I would probably have dropped it by the previews, or the first issue itself, 'cause starting with Hal killing himself, and then Carter talks about how awesome that was? I'll at least give Tom King credit for showing that the story is gonna be garbage that early.

Also i did have some small hope for HiC, but they were quickly destroyed like 10 pages in, long before the twist.
    Never had any hope for it, as soon as I heard the premise I thought it'd be around as bad as Identity Crisis, and again, was very surprised when I found out I was being optimistic without realizing...

In a happier note i watched the first 3 episodes of Strecht Armstrong in Netflix, i can definetly see why Frontier got a Spectacular Spider-Man vibe from it, is pretty fun, althought it also makes me think on Totally Spies for some reason, maybe is the main characthers colors lol.
    To be like Totally Spies it'd need the protagonists to transform into something weird per episode .

Spite is a powerful motivator yeah lol.

Yeah, was lucky to drop it before that nonsense (Think I dropped it after Bruce asked to marry Selina, and they fought Talia? Around there...), and funnily enough, if I even reached The Gift, I would probably have dropped it by the previews, or the first issue itself, 'cause starting with Hal killing himself, and then Carter talks about how awesome that was? I'll at least give Tom King credit for showing that the story is gonna be garbage that early.

Never had any hope for it, as soon as I heard the premise I thought it'd be around as bad as Identity Crisis, and again, was very surprised when I found out I was being optimistic without realizing...

To be like Totally Spies it'd need the protagonists to transform into something weird per episode .
    At this point, i think that Mister Miracle might be the only story by Tom King that i actually enjoy, at the same time, i know very little of The Fourth World outside of the DCAU, so maybe they were problems with his take there.

Well, the main characthers powers make then alter their bodies in weird ways, so maybe that counts

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

At this point, i think that Mister Miracle might be the only story by Tom King that i actually enjoy, at the same time, i know very little of The Fourth World outside of the DCAU, so maybe they were problems with his take there.

Well, the main characthers powers make then alter their bodies in weird ways, so maybe that counts
    The book kind of just felt off to me when I started thinking to myself...is Tom King really writing Scott Free and Big Barda and not writing himself and his wife? Then I started kind of side-eyeing it and all his work.

I thought the first issue was fine, and the one where Darkseid killed Orion had a chilling ending, the rest, I dunno, it was weird lol.

And I remember reading that some people bitched about Scott's characterization not being Kirby's, but JLA instead, and people who didn't like the story being so fucking dark when Fourth World really isn't on that level (Although it certainly had the potential for it, 'cause Apokolips and Darkseid), but yeah, can't really talk about how well it works as an adaptation too, though I liked the all-powerful, terrifying, quiet characterization Darkseid has, he left a good presence, even though he mostly wasn't there.

That sounds like a weird spiritual adaptation of Totally Spies I guess .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The book kind of just felt off to me when I started thinking to myself...is Tom King really writing Scott Free and Big Barda and not writing himself and his wife? Then I started kind of side-eyeing it and all his work.
    You are now reminded of the bondage sex scene .

I thought the first issue was fine, and the one where Darkseid killed Orion had a chilling ending, the rest, I dunno, it was weird lol.

And I remember reading that some people bitched about Scott's characterization not being Kirby's, but JLA instead, and people who didn't like the story being so fucking dark when Fourth World really isn't on that level (Although it certainly had the potential for it, 'cause Apokolips and Darkseid), but yeah, can't really talk about how well it works as an adaptation too, though I liked the all-powerful, terrifying, quiet characterization Darkseid has, he left a good presence, even though he mostly wasn't there.
    I think it's a valid critique of King that he alters established characterization or massages characters to fit the story he's telling.

I think it's a valid critique of King that he alters established characterization or massages characters to fit the story he's telling.
    Yeah and he often isn't good at giving distinct voices to characters, so they sound samey, though maybe Mr. Miracle lacked that specific flaw? He's still gonna change characterizations though, and they can be, questionable, like Booster Gold in The Gift...

Mighty Member

The first Mysterio apprehension is the one that baffles me, as when Quentin emerges from that bunker, he's missing the glove controller Spider-Man pulled off...Sure it could be an animation error...or Spider-Man needs to stop leaving the criminals tied up for police to pick up without sitting there with them until they get shoved into the patrol car.

I don't think he built it in prison, he just has a bunch of robots stashed off somewhere and then has one sent to him and finds a way to replace himself....Kraven managed to slip out from police custody somehow haha. However I always tend to forget that the Master Planner had regular people working for him outside of his super criminals...They even told us about it when Spidey questioned Blackie (crooks, cons, construction workers oh my).

I want to give the show credit for characters like Flash...which is probably the only time I've ever cared about him in an adaption (I do remember he was one of the guys Debra Whitman got pimped out to in the 90's cartoon haha.) We were told that the only reason the Flash attempts to woo Sha Shan was because it was going to affect Peter in the future. I think Randy and Kenny were seniors in the show, so in a couple of months Flash would be on his own...Though they wanted to actually start to develop the characters Jason Ionello and Tiny Mckeever (who, while named, we never heard them called by name in the show...even Seymour O' Reilly got more action than that!)

The first Mysterio apprehension is the one that baffles me, as when Quentin emerges from that bunker, he's missing the glove controller Spider-Man pulled off...Sure it could be an animation error...or Spider-Man needs to stop leaving the criminals tied up for police to pick up without sitting there with them until they get shoved into the patrol car.
    The Quentin leaving the bunker without a glove was weird yeah lol.

I think the best way to explain it is that Mysterio was fighting Spidey for real for a bit, at some point he thought "fuck this", removed the glove, gave to a robot, hid in the basement and controlled it from there... Either that or it's what you said, Spidey left him around, he escaped, and left a robot to be arrested lol.

Also worth pointing out, when everyone else is rescued during Otto's extraction, Quentin is not included, so it really seems he was arrested for real the second time, but at some point escaped and left a robot there.

I don't think he built it in prison, he just has a bunch of robots stashed off somewhere and then has one sent to him and finds a way to replace himself....Kraven managed to slip out from police custody somehow haha.
    Well, Kraven was included among the "extraction complete" people, so he was never arrested at any point lol.

However I always tend to forget that the Master Planner had regular people working for him outside of his super criminals...They even told us about it when Spidey questioned Blackie (crooks, cons, construction workers oh my).
    Kinda weird Otto would choose to rescue only Quentin thought, specially since he has to have done it before Gangland... I think Quentin escaped by himself lol.

I want to give the show credit for characters like Flash...which is probably the only time I've ever cared about him in an adaption (I do remember he was one of the guys Debra Whitman got pimped out to in the 90's cartoon haha.) We were told that the only reason the Flash attempts to woo Sha Shan was because it was going to affect Peter in the future. I think Randy and Kenny were seniors in the show, so in a couple of months Flash would be on his own...Though they wanted to actually start to develop the characters Jason Ionello and Tiny Mckeever (who, while named, we never heard them called by name in the show...even Seymour O' Reilly got more action than that!)
    Didn't think Jason would end up showing up eventualy... Then again, considering Sally shows up once in a while to destroy the viewer's hearing, not surprising Jason would show up eventually.

And wasn't Seymour's name only mentioned in the credits or something?

Also, I have this very silly headcanon, that JJ and Sally are related in Spectacular, I can see the family resemblance with how they have no indoor voices .

Mighty Member

Though they wanted to actually start to develop the characters Jason Ionello and Tiny Mckeever (who, while named, we never heard them called by name in the show...even Seymour O' Reilly got more action than that!)
    They both got bit roles in the Spider-Man/Gargoyles crossover radio play. Jason was Liz's rebound after Liz and Peter broke up and Tiny was sort of MJ's date to the Spring Break field trip.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    They both got bit roles in the Spider-Man/Gargoyles crossover radio play. Jason was Liz's rebound after Liz and Peter broke up and Tiny was sort of MJ's date to the Spring Break field trip.
    I think I remember there being a moment with Peter and MJ where she was insistent that whatever they were doing was "not a date."

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    If Jason was planned to be anything like the comics, then man, Liz went from whatever (Flash), to bad (Peter), to really bad, poor girl can't catch a break .

I think I remember there being a moment with Peter and MJ where she was insistent that whatever they were doing was "not a date."
    MJ really didn't want to get close with anyone, rather obvious when she started to get close with Mark too, and they both insisted that they weren't actually dating, only for MJ to eventually admit that she cares for him.

There's also this video Kevin posted a few pages ago:

https://youtu.be/ks2l19CZHy0?t=186

Here Weisman talks about MJ specifically avoiding Peter and Flash because she could see herself caring about either, and she doesn't want that in this "fresh start" in high school, and we can somewhat see that, not her specifically thinking she could care about either of them, but her so blatantly not admitting she cares about Mark.