Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I thought that it was just part of his plan to keep Tombstone and Hammerhead from suspecting him, he mentions when Hammy accuses him of helping Goblin that he lost his top scientist thanks to him. Either that or he did it for kicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Also, back in episode 8, when Otto becomes Doctor Octopus, why did Norman even try to get him killed? Was it to get rid of him in case Spidey managed to deduce that it was Oscorp behind the super-villains, and killing him would make it look like Oscorp can't make more of 'em? 'Cause that'd be stupid...
    Yeah, Otto's accident was supposed to kill him in order to shut him up as his fidgety personality was quite the liability. Norman's "why would I be behind any of this" while talking to Hammerhead is kind of hilarious in hindsight as Hammerhead just got through threatening Norman about someone like Octavius coming to testify against him. With Green Goblin supposedly not supposed to be linked to Norman Osborn or his company, the Green Goblin trying to kill Otto seems random as hell.

Interestingly Otto figured Spider-Man came to kill him and caused the accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Hard to say, he was only the "Big Man" for a short time, maybe not even a month, and he wasn't too public about it before Spidey confirmed he's back too.

At the very least, he'd have people who admire him in a way, 'cause it's very likely Hobgoblin would be inspired by him, while probably trying to surpass him.

Hm, not sure about Norman caring that much, he mostly follows Weisman's usual villain pragmatism, so he avoids petty pride, unless it's about apologizing lol.

Then again, if Norman actually was influenced by the Goblin Serum (As apparently that's a possibility, even though the cartoon doesn't make that look like the case), it's possible the Green Goblin side would be annoyed.
    It would be hilarious if Norman was a hypocrite who would get annoyed that some guy stole his equipment, modified it slightly, and called it his own (especially in the fact that Norman couldn't publicly take credit for stuff anyway)...as the Goblin Glider is the same machine as Vulture's harness/wings...they even make the same sound. Heck if Hobgoblin secured a mob boss position for longer than Green Goblin and was able to do so without directing all attention to eliminating Spider-Man (because his sloppy cover up) I can see Norman being slightly peeved that a copycat was more successful than he ever was. Not irrational enough to blow his cover to take the first flight home to New York to take care of this guy, but annoyed about it. Emily or Menken would have probably been his informant in New York...I wonder if Menken knew about his boss' extra curricular activities...I'm convinced Emily knew despite not having much to go on.

Yeah Spectacular has a bunch of info that gets dropped for possible future storylines like that, and here I thought Tricorp was only involved with that battery Norman used lol.

Well, if the Shocker costume is any hint, Tricorp may do more "legal" experiments with the super mercenaries, so it's possible Scorpion would be a "legal" one, or JJ would think it's the case.

So many possibilities lol.
    Looking at Shocker's suit vs the super merc work that Oscorp did (where the people's physiology was changed) it does seem that their experiments would be more "exterior" changes that people could easily change out of. I'm wondering where Gargan's mental developments would have come from. From what we know Tri Corp didn't seem to be affiliated with the mob like Oscorp was (Norman tipped the mob off to steal from them). I can only wonder if Tinkerer would have been involved...he seems to work freelance.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    MJ's attraction to Mark could have been a subtle hint that she is attracted to men that like to live a bit dangerously. Peter is similar to Mark in some ways. He leads a double life which he keeps secret from his family, and when he is Spider-Man he hangs around in the same underworld that Mark did, and even interacts with some of the same characters (Blackie, Green Goblin). Mark would have added fuel to MJ's anxiety of Peter getting killed as Spider-Man (if she ever found out) for many years to come. And I'm sure the subplot with Betty Brant's brother from the Lee/Ditko era probably served as some inspiration for MJ and Mark's relationship and for why MJ would probably want to avoid Peter even more after Season 2.
    Her saving the last dance for Peter and staying up late long after everyone left in her first episode is one of the great romantic moments between any versions of those characters.

That thing pretty much killed the show's take on Peter/Gwen for me...so much that for me the Season 2 finale with Gwen being forced to be with Harry and so on...it didn't bother me as much as it does others.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    That thing pretty much killed the show's take on Peter/Gwen for me...so much that for me the Season 2 finale with Gwen being forced to be with Harry and so on...it didn't bother me as much as it does others.
    I can't say it "killed" it for me since it was obvious Weisman and Co. were ultimately Team MJ. They would have eventually done Death of Gwen Stacy and gotten Peter and MJ together had this continuity went on the way Weisman wanted it to. The payoff for that would have probably been even better than the comics since MJ goes out of her way in this to pair Peter with Gwen, and since they both date multiple people prior to each other.

That said, Season 3 would have probably featured more scenes between Peter and MJ anyway. With Liz being mad at him and Gwen being unavailable, MJ is technically the only girl he could have gone on dates with.

That said, Season 3 would have probably featured more scenes between Peter and MJ anyway. With Liz being mad at him and Gwen being unavailable, MJ is technically the only girl he could have gone on dates with.
    Felicia hated him too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Felicia hated him too.
    Right. MJ would have been his only option for a while.

BANNED

Right. MJ would have been his only option for a while.
    One angle with Spectacular!Peter is that he...tends to cheat on his girlfriends.

Obviously show-with-kids and so on...so I mean emotionally unfaithful. He has a crush on Gwen but doesn't act on his feelings to her, but then dates Liz but still thinks about Gwen.

Then in S2 there's this episode where MJ advises him about Gwen and meanwhile Peter starts thinking about how pretty she is which MJ notices and calls him out on. This from a guy who dates Liz...and in fact Mark calls him out on that.

The only equivalent in comics is Ultimate Peter getting back together with MJ before officially breaking up with Kitty at the end of Ultimate Clone Saga.

Spectacular!Peter underneath-the-surface is a bit of a Matt Murdoch like cad. Murdoch's a fundamentally decent guy who uses his niceness and blindness to seduce a ton of girls and has cheated on...at least two of his girlfriends that I know of. So Spec!Peter is a bit like that.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 12-27-2020 at 02:36 PM.

One angle with Spectacular!Peter is that he...tends to cheat on his girlfriends.

Obviously show-with-kids and so on...so I mean emotionally unfaithful. He has a crush on Gwen but doesn't act on his feelings to her, but then dates Liz but still thinks about Gwen.

Then in S2 there's this episode where MJ advises him about Gwen and meanwhile Peter starts thinking about how pretty she is which MJ notices and calls him out on. This from a guy who dates Liz...and in fact Mark calls him out on that.

The only equivalent in comics is Ultimate Peter getting back together with MJ before officially breaking up with Kitty at the end of Ultimate Clone Saga.

Spectacular!Peter underneath-the-surface is a bit of a Matt Murdoch like cad. Murdoch's a fundamentally decent guy who uses his niceness and blindness to seduce a ton of girls and has cheated on...at least two of his girlfriends that I know of. So Spec!Peter is a bit like that.
    None of this is cheating.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    None of this is cheating.
    If you are dating someone and clearly and obviously give signs of flirtation and interest towards other girls, I think people would say you have issues with committment.

Or if you kiss someone and then never talk to that person out of shyness and then go and date some other girl...that also applies.

If you are dating someone and clearly and obviously give signs of flirtation and interest towards other girls, I think people would say you have issues with committment.

Or if you kiss someone and then never talk to that person out of shyness and then go and date some other girl...that also applies.
    None of this is the same thing as cheating. If Peter at any point kissed another girl while dating another or was actively two-timing Liz then you'd have a point. Having lingering feelings you don't act on is not the same thing as cheating unless you have a very, very liberal definition of what that word is. At worst, Peter is just an average teenager with hormones acting up. He is not Charlie Harper.

Astonishing Member

I don't think any of this applies to Spec! Peter. He never actually goes out of his way to act on those thoughts, he just fantasizes about them which isn't cheating (fantasizing can be a sign you're not fully happy with your current relationship, which applies to Peter's relationship with Liz, but it doesn't make you a cheater).
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 12-27-2020 at 03:04 PM.

Well, there was that issue where 616 Peter had an affair with Betty Brant in the last stages of her marriage falling apart in the main series.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Spectacular Member Voices From the Eyrie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    None of this is the same thing as cheating. If Peter at any point kissed another girl while dating another or was actively two-timing Liz then you'd have a point. Having lingering feelings you don't act on is not the same thing as cheating unless you have a very, very liberal definition of what that word is. At worst, Peter is just an average teenager with hormones acting up. He is not Charlie Harper.
    It's not even in the same galaxy as cheating.

Mighty Member

Peter was only close to cheating with Gwen twice. Once after being chased by reporters (which was only stopped due to a phone call) and the other time when he was at Gwen’s house...

You know...Peter’s love life issues have NOTHING to do with Spider-Man in this series...in fact MOST of Peter’s social problems have more to do with Peter himself than Spider-Man...

Astonishing Member

To be fair, he was already planning to break off with Liz by that point, and he likely would have broken it off with Liz had him and Gwen actually kissed the first time. To call him a serial cheater is an exaggeration.

Astonishing Member

It's just that you expect better from a superhero like Peter.

That being said, one person argued that Liz was the homewrecker in the situation since she apparently already knew that Gwen liked Peter, but even that felt like being too harsh.