Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It's just that you expect better from a superhero like Peter.

That being said, one person argued that Liz was the homewrecker in the situation since she apparently already knew that Gwen liked Peter, but even that felt like being too harsh.
    To be fair to Peter, the girls came to him... the only girls he tried to ask out was Sally Avril and Betty Brant (the latter just to go to a high school dance).

Also, it’s kind of hilarious how everyone knew about Peter and Gwen. Gossip gets around quick in high school.

Astonishing Member

True, but he is also 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    True, but he is also 16.
    High school drama 101 (at least back then). Another thing is that before Mary Jane became his friend and before he talked to Aunt May about his feelings for Liz and Gwen, Peter didn't have any friends who could give him good relationship advice. Usually, guys go to other guys or a father figure for relationship advice.

Mighty Member

The high school drama was pretty believable in this series. The teenage characters were childish in a way that I as an adult see it...BUT looking back to when I was that age...stuff like that actually happened. I was paying more attention to Liz on a watch through one time and realized how passive aggressive she was when Gwen we in the vicinity. When Harry was picking up everyone to go to Flash’s birthday party, she immediately cuddles up with Peter in front of Harry and Gwen (even Peter was like “O...kay”). In the episode where the students are paired off in the criminology class, when she talks to Gwen there is something about the tone of voice when she says “yeah we do” when Gwen tells her Peter and her make a great couple that sounds kind of catty.”

MJ's attraction to Mark could have been a subtle hint that she is attracted to men that like to live a bit dangerously. Peter is similar to Mark in some ways. He leads a double life which he keeps secret from his family, and when he is Spider-Man he hangs around in the same underworld that Mark did, and even interacts with some of the same characters (Blackie, Green Goblin). Mark would have added fuel to MJ's anxiety of Peter getting killed as Spider-Man (if she ever found out) for many years to come. And I'm sure the subplot with Betty Brant's brother from the Lee/Ditko era probably served as some inspiration for MJ and Mark's relationship and for why MJ would probably want to avoid Peter even more after Season 2.
    Well, if she's attracted to guys with dangerous lives, she has limits, since she there was this scene where Eddie was driving his motorcycle dangerously, she kept telling him to stop but he ignored her, and that whole situation was one of the reasons she essentially told him to **** off.

I really like how there were no signs in the show of Peter and MJ being meant to be together. Paradoxically I feel it made their relationship in the show seem even more romantic if you read comics. The fact they're barely on each other's radar but will eventually have a love that comes "once a Millenia" (to quote the only good line from OMD) makes their relationship seem more real, since a lot of couples are like that in real life and fall in love when they least expect it with whom they least expect.
    The way it was done in the comics can be described as "right person, wrong time", I wouldn't doubt that this would be more explicit in Spectacular, because for them to get together, and the relationship work, Peter needs to control his hormones and decide what, and who, he wants, and MJ needs to at some point stop trying to avoid getting close to people, only after they mature that the relationship would work.

Weisman ironically played with the idea that "maybe it's not meant to be" between Peter and MJ more than a lot of comic writers did. Dare I say, the airport scene from JMS' run would work even better in this universe than it did in 616. (Which isn't to say it didn't work in 616, because it totally did).
    Well, for the airport scene to even happen, at some point MJ will have to feel like she's redundant, 'cause as she said there, she felt like Peter didn't need her.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Interestingly Otto figured Spider-Man came to kill him and caused the accident.
    To be fair, he didn't see who did it, and Spidey just arrived there, and Otto did those experiments, it's a logical conclusion to reach lol.

Funny to think that if Otto didn't panic that much, he could've prevented the incident that fucked over his mind, 'cause the tentacles, for whatever reason, are really strong and good for combat, so they could be used to break those glass doors and walls, which he specifically does when he becomes evil and leaves Oscorp.

It would be hilarious if Norman was a hypocrite who would get annoyed that some guy stole his equipment, modified it slightly, and called it his own (especially in the fact that Norman couldn't publicly take credit for stuff anyway)...as the Goblin Glider is the same machine as Vulture's harness/wings...they even make the same sound. Heck if Hobgoblin secured a mob boss position for longer than Green Goblin and was able to do so without directing all attention to eliminating Spider-Man (because his sloppy cover up) I can see Norman being slightly peeved that a copycat was more successful than he ever was. Not irrational enough to blow his cover to take the first flight home to New York to take care of this guy, but annoyed about it.
    Hah, that would be great lol.

Emily or Menken would have probably been his informant in New York...I wonder if Menken knew about his boss' extra curricular activities...I'm convinced Emily knew despite not having much to go on.
    Yeah I really wonder how much Menken knew... He obviously knew about Norman's other life as a criminal, but whether or not he knew about Green Goblin is something the show doesn't even hint at.

It would also be interesting if Menken didn't know, 'cause it'd mean that his apartment being a trap for Spidey is something he wasn't aware of, so that can have interesting story potentials, over whether or not he's butthurt about that, and how much so if he is.

Looking at Shocker's suit vs the super merc work that Oscorp did (where the people's physiology was changed) it does seem that their experiments would be more "exterior" changes that people could easily change out of. I'm wondering where Gargan's mental developments would have come from.
    Hm... Maybe Gargan could get his stuff from a mix? Like say, he gets the armor from Tricorp, gets his ass kicked by Spidey, thinks that power isn't enough, then somehow meets someone like Miles and allows him to do experiments? So he could have a powered armor, and super-powers.

From what we know Tri Corp didn't seem to be affiliated with the mob like Oscorp was (Norman tipped the mob off to steal from them). I can only wonder if Tinkerer would have been involved...he seems to work freelance.
    If we're right about Tricorp's methods of making super mercenaries, of only making those powered up armors, then Tinkerer would actually be perfect for them, since he made Ox's and Fancy Dan's armors.

I don't think any of this applies to Spec! Peter. He never actually goes out of his way to act on those thoughts, he just fantasizes about them which isn't cheating (fantasizing can be a sign you're not fully happy with your current relationship, which applies to Peter's relationship with Liz, but it doesn't make you a cheater).
    He's only not a cheater because Gwen told him to not be, he almost kissed her twice, and in the second time she tells him to stop.

So yeah, technically speaking, he's not a cheater, but he didn't try to be faithful either.

You know...Peter’s love life issues have NOTHING to do with Spider-Man in this series...in fact MOST of Peter’s social problems have more to do with Peter himself than Spider-Man...
    I mean, fact he was Spider-Man meant he missed every date with Liz... It's why I like to say that his relationship with Liz is a spiritual adaptation of the relationship with Deb in the comics, 'cause he had to run off on her ridiculously often, while Deb just accepted it, so yeah, his social life could get affected by Spider-Man, it's just not as bad as it can be in the comics.

That being said, one person argued that Liz was the homewrecker in the situation since she apparently already knew that Gwen liked Peter, but even that felt like being too harsh.
    I mean, why should Liz give up on Peter just because Gwen likes him too? Why should Liz think that Gwen is this special someone who deserves to be with Peter more than her? Specially considering Gwen chose not to act on that crush for yeah, Liz had no reason to not try.

To be fair to Peter, the girls came to him... the only girls he tried to ask out was Sally Avril and Betty Brant (the latter just to go to a high school dance).

Also, it’s kind of hilarious how everyone knew about Peter and Gwen. Gossip gets around quick in high school.
    He also actively tried to go for Gwen in the last episodes, which failed too, wouldn't be surprised if the lesson he learned from this is "I'll stop trying to go after women, it never works, so I'll wait for them to come to me." .

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern_Maker View Post
    High school drama 101 (at least back then). Another thing is that before Mary Jane became his friend and before he talked to Aunt May about his feelings for Liz and Gwen, Peter didn't have any friends who could give him good relationship advice. Usually, guys go to other guys or a father figure for relationship advice.
    It's nothing short of a miracle that a teenager guy who was a nobody in everyone's radar, suddenly has 3 women into him, and he doesn't let that get in his head at any point... Guess even if he's a colossally lousy boyfriend, it's surprising he's not much worse lol.

The high school drama was pretty believable in this series. The teenage characters were childish in a way that I as an adult see it...BUT looking back to when I was that age...stuff like that actually happened. I was paying more attention to Liz on a watch through one time and realized how passive aggressive she was when Gwen we in the vicinity. When Harry was picking up everyone to go to Flash’s birthday party, she immediately cuddles up with Peter in front of Harry and Gwen (even Peter was like “O...kay”). In the episode where the students are paired off in the criminology class, when she talks to Gwen there is something about the tone of voice when she says “yeah we do” when Gwen tells her Peter and her make a great couple that sounds kind of catty.”
    Liz is anything but subtle really lol.

When she didn't like Peter, she was obvious about it, when she started to like him (Which curiously only started after he was a dick to her when he needed an excuse to leave and fight Electro lol), she tried to hide it, but was still obvious about it, then when she decided to stop hiding it, she was so aggressive... And like you said, she was rather obvious about making sure Gwen knew that Peter isn't someone for Gwen to get near lol.

Honestly, only way she could be more obvious about her thoughts is if she was Sally, 'cause she says what she thinks and is louder than JJ lol.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Voices From the Eyrie View Post
    Preview for the final interview episode of "Spectacular Radio"... Marvel sued Sony to prevent the "movie cuts" from being released. Only the episodes as they aired.
    I know I'm replying to this a few days late, but daaaang. Harsh. Also, a solved mystery. I wonder if complications with Marvel is also the reason why the home release schedule for the series was so weird.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    It's nothing short of a miracle that a teenager guy who was a nobody in everyone's radar, suddenly has 3 women into him, and he doesn't let that get in his head at any point... Guess even if he's a colossally lousy boyfriend, it's surprising he's not much worse lol.
    I guess you don't think that people were too harsh on Peter.

I guess you don't think that people were too harsh on Peter.
    I like Peter and all, but I'm not gonna pretend he was worth a damn as a boyfriend, since only once in the entire relationship he had a good moment with Liz, after the whole thing about Mark becoming Molten Man and him being there to comfort her, but anything before this, and after, has him just sucking at it with how negligent he is, plus he almost cheated twice, and let's not forget that the second time was after Harry escaped from Green Goblin, so Peter was planning to cheat on his girlfriend, and was being a shitty friend with Harry too lol.

So yeah, I'm gonna call that out, and I kinda wish Peter and Gwen ended with each other in season 2, just because they're awful in relationships and no one else should suffer with either of 'em .

I like Peter and all, but I'm not gonna pretend he was worth a damn as a boyfriend, since only once in the entire relationship he had a good moment with Liz, after the whole thing about Mark becoming Molten Man and him being there to comfort her, but anything before this, and after, has him just sucking at it with how negligent he is, plus he almost cheated twice, and let's not forget that the second time was after Harry escaped from Green Goblin, so Peter was planning to cheat on his girlfriend, and was being a shitty friend with Harry too lol.

So yeah, I'm gonna call that out, and I kinda wish Peter and Gwen ended with each other in season 2, just because they're awful in relationships and no one else should suffer with either of 'em .
    He botched it all badly, although I got the idea that it was something he could've grown out of.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    He botched it all badly, although I got the idea that it was something he could've grown out of.
    I'm pretty sure that he would have eventually, is not like the show gave him a free pass for his genuine f@#$ ups, but we never got there sadly.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Mighty Member

To be fair, he didn't see who did it, and Spidey just arrived there, and Otto did those experiments, it's a logical conclusion to reach lol.

Funny to think that if Otto didn't panic that much, he could've prevented the incident that fucked over his mind, 'cause the tentacles, for whatever reason, are really strong and good for combat, so they could be used to break those glass doors and walls, which he specifically does when he becomes evil and leaves Oscorp.
    Yeah Otto, pre accident was paranoid...He probably didn't want to damage the doors and get fired/sued. Funny enough Spider-Man doesn't know anything about Oscorp's involvement with super villains...It's funny how he even found out that the Big Man was targeting him. Spidey got the information that someone was after him by Shocker, Sandman blabbed that it was Big Man, and Rhino spilled who the Big Man was.

Yeah I really wonder how much Menken knew... He obviously knew about Norman's other life as a criminal, but whether or not he knew about Green Goblin is something the show doesn't even hint at.

It would also be interesting if Menken didn't know, 'cause it'd mean that his apartment being a trap for Spidey is something he wasn't aware of, so that can have interesting story potentials, over whether or not he's butthurt about that, and how much so if he is.
    I'm also curious to know how much Chameleon knew, and what Norman told him exactly to brief him on why he was . Chameleon knew enough to point the finger at Donald Menkin, though I'm sure he didn't know he was going to be physically dragged into Norman's war with Spider-Man.

Hm... Maybe Gargan could get his stuff from a mix? Like say, he gets the armor from Tricorp, gets his ass kicked by Spidey, thinks that power isn't enough, then somehow meets someone like Miles and allows him to do experiments? So he could have a powered armor, and super-powers.

If we're right about Tricorp's methods of making super mercenaries, of only making those powered up armors, then Tinkerer would actually be perfect for them, since he made Ox's and Fancy Dan's armors.
    I'd wonder if someone like Spencer Smythe would be involved... Sure the only new villain characters we KNOW would be in season 3 are Hobgoblin, Scorpion, Mister Negative, Hydro Man, and MAYBE Carnage, but it'd be interesting to see if the Spider Slayers are connected to Scorpion as it seems like a natural evolution of the concept...(Also it's funny how both Smythe and Jackal were pretty much front and center for the most recent cartoon [at first])

I mean, fact he was Spider-Man meant he missed every date with Liz... It's why I like to say that his relationship with Liz is a spiritual adaptation of the relationship with Deb in the comics, 'cause he had to run off on her ridiculously often, while Deb just accepted it, so yeah, his social life could get affected by Spider-Man, it's just not as bad as it can be in the comics.
    Yeah Liz was VERY lenient when it came to Peter abandoning her all of the time... It only became an issue when Peter said sorry to Gwen when he left to go take out the Big Man.

I find it funny in the difference between Harry and Gwen's viewpoint of Peter leaving Liz. Harry taking ANY opportunity to criticize his best friend for (as he needs to knock mister perfect down a notch), and Gwen defending him no matter what (he could do NO wrong).

He also actively tried to go for Gwen in the last episodes, which failed too, wouldn't be surprised if the lesson he learned from this is "I'll stop trying to go after women, it never works, so I'll wait for them to come to me." .
    That's right...perhaps its better for Peter to let it happen...then again...that's what got him into this high school mess in the first place. Maybe Peter (and Gwen) are lucky that they couldn't get together immediately after Peter broke up with Liz...that would just confirm EVERY suspicion that Liz may have had.

Liz is anything but subtle really lol.

When she didn't like Peter, she was obvious about it, when she started to like him (Which curiously only started after he was a dick to her when he needed an excuse to leave and fight Electro lol), she tried to hide it, but was still obvious about it, then when she decided to stop hiding it, she was so aggressive... And like you said, she was rather obvious about making sure Gwen knew that Peter isn't someone for Gwen to get near lol.

Honestly, only way she could be more obvious about her thoughts is if she was Sally, 'cause she says what she thinks and is louder than JJ lol.
    Sally was a confidant of Liz...However Sally couldn't even hide her disgust for Peter. Her redeeming trait is that she doesn't want Peter to die (which kind of falls into...basic human decency) and that she's a good friend to Liz. Sally wasn't even quiet when Liz made her break up with Peter public to save face.

I kind of wonder how they would've done the Spider-Slayers. The 90's show went with giant spider-robots, Marvel's Spider-Man went for, basically, mecha's...I feel like Spec might have gone for an update on the retro original design and probably upgrade from there.

Speaking of Sally, i wonder why Randy was with her, he just never seemed to be that invested in the relationship, i supposed that they were gonna break eventually, but i'm surprised that it took so long.

Also, Eddie must be a ninja because he pull the Batman hi/bye move at least once in First Step lol.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I kind of wonder how they would've done the Spider-Slayers. The 90's show went with giant spider-robots, Marvel's Spider-Man went for, basically, mecha's...I feel like Spec might have gone for an update on the retro original design and probably upgrade from there.
    It probably would have been remote controlled, but i supposed that they could also go for the angle of AI going rogue.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Spectacular Member Voices From the Eyrie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Speaking of Sally, i wonder why Randy was with her, he just never seemed to be that invested in the relationship, i supposed that they were gonna break eventually, but i'm surprised that it took so long.
    LOL! Not that complicated: https://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg....php?qid=11111 and https://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg....php?qid=11549

It's clearly about the "alone time"