Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

10 Years Anniversary of the Best Animated Series of Spider-Man, any chance of this show getting season 3 after Young Justice revival?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfist99 View Post
    10 Years Anniversary of the Best Animated Series of Spider-Man, any chance of this show getting season 3 after Young Justice revival?
    No chance at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    No chance at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfist99 View Post
    Even less of a chance then Earth's Mightiest Heroes getting a revival.

So no April Fools' prank announcing Spectacular's return? Or has that been done before?

Mighty Member

I suppose we can give it another 10 years like Samurai Jack haha. (Sony DOES hold animated movie rights however)

You know, to tell you the truth, I'm kind of glad that the show was restricted to only Spidey's corner of the Marvel Universe. With every superhero cartoon being some sort of team up nowadays, it's kind of refreshing... I mean would we have seen characters like Blackie Gaxton, Molten Man, Joseph Wade, Roderick Kingsley, Fredrick Foswell otherwise? Nowadays we're lucky to get J. Jonah Jameson in a media adaption...

With the love of older storylines and more obscure characters we may have even seen things like Crime Master or the Lobo Brothers utilized... (I mean they were probably going to use Belladonna [since they made Kingsley a perfume mogul instead of a fashion designer specifically to call back to his VERY first appearance in comics] so all obscure characters are fair game).

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I suppose we can give it another 10 years like Samurai Jack haha. (Sony DOES hold animated movie rights however)

You know, to tell you the truth, I'm kind of glad that the show was restricted to only Spidey's corner of the Marvel Universe. With every superhero cartoon being some sort of team up nowadays, it's kind of refreshing... I mean would we have seen characters like Blackie Gaxton, Molten Man, Joseph Wade, Roderick Kingsley, Fredrick Foswell otherwise? Nowadays we're lucky to get J. Jonah Jameson in a media adaption...

With the love of older storylines and more obscure characters we may have even seen things like Crime Master or the Lobo Brothers utilized... (I mean they were probably going to use Belladonna [since they made Kingsley a perfume mogul instead of a fashion designer specifically to call back to his VERY first appearance in comics] so all obscure characters are fair game).
    Or a Spider-Man cartoon where he's not getting bailed out every episode or stuck with a quasi-team of other spiders or heroes...

But, yeah, I think Spec really showed how rich and compelling Spidey's world is, even separated from the shared universe of the MU, and something I don't think we've seen it's successors really capture as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Or a Spider-Man cartoon where he's not getting bailed out every episode or stuck with a quasi-team of other spiders or heroes...

But, yeah, I think Spec really showed how rich and compelling Spidey's world is, even separated from the shared universe of the MU, and something I don't think we've seen it's successors really capture as well.
    It honestly seems like those more recent cartoons are desperatedly trying to to be away from the classic Spidey formula for the sake of being different from other cartoons and movies, the team factor being the most obvious one, and while it's not a bad idea to have Spidey in a team, his own cartoon really shouldn't be a team cartoon, whatever team he's in should just happen to have him as one of the members.

Honestly though, shared universes are fine and all, but execution is necessary, it's better for each cartoon to be mostly isolated and keep crossovers at minimum, comics should be doing that too...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    It honestly seems like those more recent cartoons are desperatedly trying to to be away from the classic Spidey formula for the sake of being different from other cartoons and movies, the team factor being the most obvious one, and while it's not a bad idea to have Spidey in a team, his own cartoon really shouldn't be a team cartoon, whatever team he's in should just happen to have him as one of the members.

Honestly though, shared universes are fine and all, but execution is necessary, it's better for each cartoon to be mostly isolated and keep crossovers at minimum, comics should be doing that too...

It's funny how back in the day people were wondering why Spider-Man didn't really interact with other heroes and villains all that much, but now that it happens so often it's like "Can Peter have ANYTHING to himself?" Now granted, this show came before Miles Morales existed...so Peter wouldn't have to really share the spotlight.

Because the show was "restricted" to only focus on Spider-Man's corner of the Marvel universe, they decided not to create any original characters, so with every named character being form a Spider-Man comic, it acknowledged the wealth of spider-history from the work of numerous artists and creators. Not just from 616, but alternate realities like Spider-Man Reign and Ultimate.

Even BTAS, which seemed to be solely focused in Batman's corner of the DC universe before giving birth to the rest of the DCAU, had to borrow characters like Count Vertigo and Clock King from Green Arrow; and even created characters like Harley Quinn, who made her way into comics. In this cartoon it's kind of fun seeing a character and trying to look up what comic run they came from. I mean would we see characters like Jean DeWolff, Stan Carter, Stephanie Briggs, Ted Twaki, etc. otherwise? I am actually curious to how they went about finding characters to use even if it meant throwing roles on them that they didn't have before (ie. Dilbert Trilby).

It's funny how back in the day people were wondering why Spider-Man didn't really interact with other heroes and villains all that much, but now that it happens so often it's like "Can Peter have ANYTHING to himself?" Now granted, this show came before Miles Morales existed...so Peter wouldn't have to really share the spotlight.
    Problem is that if you get too much of anything it gets annoying, so if we get too many other people getting in Spidey's cartoon, there's going to be less for himself, meanwhile if he's forced to be isolated then it's less bad since we get to see more elements from his little world, granted, if that's poorly executed it looks empty and bland.

I also don't think Peter really has to share the spotlight with Miles, he isn't part of Peter's supporting cast, so he's just another guy with the Spider-Man name, hell, he could get his own cartoon without Peter on it too.

Because the show was "restricted" to only focus on Spider-Man's corner of the Marvel universe, they decided not to create any original characters, so with every named character being form a Spider-Man comic, it acknowledged the wealth of spider-history from the work of numerous artists and creators. Not just from 616, but alternate realities like Spider-Man Reign and Ultimate.
    What characters from Reign ended up in Spectacular?

Even BTAS, which seemed to be solely focused in Batman's corner of the DC universe before giving birth to the rest of the DCAU, had to borrow characters like Count Vertigo and Clock King from Green Arrow; and even created characters like Harley Quinn, who made her way into comics. In this cartoon it's kind of fun seeing a character and trying to look up what comic run they came from. I mean would we see characters like Jean DeWolff, Stan Carter, Stephanie Briggs, Ted Twaki, etc. otherwise? I am actually curious to how they went about finding characters to use even if it meant throwing roles on them that they didn't have before (ie. Dilbert Trilby).
    Probably just randomly remember names or find them while reading the comics, it's probably how Wesley ended up in Daredevil's Netflix series since before it, he only ever showed up in Born Again, and he didn't do much during it. As for the change of roles, well, not like they have to follow strictly what to do with them, look at Gwen, first time I saw her I thought she was Deb Whitman because of the change in appearance, and her personality is nothing like 616 Gwen, so they can always follow something basic about the character (He's a reporter, make him work in news TV instead), or just something pretty different (Tombstone becoming pretty much Kingpin).
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 04-03-2018 at 10:29 AM.

I also don't think Peter really has to share the spotlight with Miles, he isn't part of Peter's supporting cast, so he's just another guy with the Spider-Man name, hell, he could get his own cartoon without Peter on it too.
    Not that that's stopped them from making Miles a Peter Parker supporting character in two Spider-Man cartoons .

Personally the only Spider-Man who I think could really see hold their own standalone cartoon without borrowing too much from Peter is 2099.
    Probably just randomly remember names or find them while reading the comics, it's probably how Wesley ended up in Daredevil's Netflix series since before it, he only ever showed up in Born Again, and he didn't do much during it. As for the change of roles, well, not like they have to follow strictly what to do with them, look at Gwen, first time I saw her I thought she was Deb Whitman because of the change in appearance, and her personality is nothing like 616 Gwen, so they can always follow something basic about the character (He's a reporter, make him work in news TV instead), or just something pretty different (Tombstone becoming pretty much Kingpin).
    Although they were slowly "upgrading" her into college Gwen over the course of the series, at least in the looks department.

Not that that's stopped them from making Miles a Peter Parker supporting character in two Spider-Man cartoons .
    Hey, I said they don't have to, not that they can't, it's up to them really lol.

Personally the only Spider-Man who I think could really see hold their own standalone cartoon without borrowing too much from Peter is 2099.
    Well it's not like there are many other Spider-Men who aren't Peter, at least who had their own comics, and Miguel is pretty much Batman Beyond, before Batman Beyond lol.

As for Miles getting his own cartoon, yeah, supporting cast would be fine, school life would be somewhat different from Peter's since Miles has at least one friend who knows he's Spider-Man, the problem would be the rogues gallery, from what I've seen the only one Miles has is his uncle David, while everyone else is borrowed from Peter, although while Ultimate Peter dealt with Bombshells originaly, they're more relevant to Miles' life, so arguably they're Miles' rogues (Until Lana stops being a villain that is), but just two villains isn't enough, at least if he were to borrow from Peter he could get some less iconic ones.

Although they were slowly "upgrading" her into college Gwen over the course of the series, at least in the looks department.
    Does that mean she would get her epic eyebrows back?

Mighty Member

What characters from Reign ended up in Spectacular?
    Mayor Waters
    First Appearance: Spider-Man: Reign #1(February, 2007)

As we all know in Spectacular Spider-Man, they wanted to increase diversity in the Spider-Man universe... So they changed a lot of minor characters races. Here they didn't change the race of the character, but the gender. There wasn't too much info on this character specifically, so...below is a Wikipedia link for basically the info of the comic that (s)he came from.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_Reign)
    Just the mayor from what I know. It may have been harder to tell because of the gender bending...

Did Gwen being an intellectual equal to Peter start with this show? I only remember her being a..."rhymes with witch" who softened up as time went on (basically a silver age girlfriend). Now it seems like she was always brilliant...
    Last edited by Mistah K88; 04-03-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Did Gwen being an intellectual equal to Peter start with this show? I only remember her being a..."rhymes with witch" who softened up as time went on (basically a silver age girlfriend). Now it seems like she was always brilliant...
    I think the impetus of it was that they attended the same science classes together in college, so ergo Gwen is now a smart girl, which other adaptions have ran with to give Gwen more depth and give her something in common with Peter.

Just the mayor from what I know. It may have been harder to tell because of the gender bending...
    Thanks for the info.

Can't say about intellectual equal, but originaly she was kinda shown to be studious and have a Science Major:

ASM#44:

ASM#53:

But it's probably a case of Informed Ability, because I doubt that supposed intelled was ever shown, and I think being Peter's intellectual equal was actualy from Deb...

I think the impetus of it was that they attended the same science classes together in college, so ergo Gwen is now a smart girl, which other adaptions have ran with to give Gwen more depth and give her something in common with Peter.
    Well, Harry was in that class too, did he show some science smart? Like recreating the goblin formula or something? Haven't really read the entirety of older comics.