Page 64 of 91 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast

Hey Quicksilver fans, Marvel Heroes released Pietro as a Team Up (Companion for the player). His moves are pretty awesome.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    ***********SPOILER ALERT**************

So any thoughts on what this will mean to the character in the comics? I'm not terribly worried about someone being compelled to follow suit and kill off him, as well, but what I do worry about is this idea that the comics are so tied to the films right now that the only relevant characters are those that bridge the two worlds.

If the popular conception of Quicksilver is that he (or "Pietro", I guess) is considered dead, the chances that he'll be prominently featured in a title any time soon are quite remote. If they can't tie it into the films, they don't want to do it, it seems.

Thoughts?
    I am also worried about what they'll do to him in the comic. I can deal with Quicksilver dying in the MCU just like I can deal with Quicksilver dying in the Ultimate universe, and Age of Apocalypse universe : they're not the "original" version of the character. But given the importance of the MCU to the comics nowadays, it has me worried. Heck, I think there's a certain synchronicity between what happened to Hank Pym in Rage of Ultron and the fact that he's not the titular character in the upcoming Ant-man movie. The end result is that neither the comic book version or the movie version are likely to play a major role in the Marvel U any time soon.
    I'm starting to be of the opinion that none of the people in charge of Marvel are terribly fond of Quicksilver so they'd be pretty happy to get rid of him.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Honestly . . . I kind of think maybe they should rein back on the snarkiness a little bit.

One of the reasons I liked the AoU Pietro is that he reminded me a little bit more of the Quicksilver from the '60s X-Men and Avengers comics, when he was just an earnest young man who wanted to protect his sister and wasn't sure what side he should be on. It's just that over the years they've made him more and more arrogant and snarky until the point where that and his changing loyalties sometimes seem like all there is to him. I mean, you can't get rid of it completely now. But maybe they should focus on some other side of Quicksilver.

Or maybe give a reason for it other than Peter David's "The rest of the world is too slow and annoying" explanation.
    I totally get where you're coming from. Most people forget that Quicksilver at the core is a decent guy and he was a decent guy for a good chunk of his early history before Englehart decided to make him the villain in the Vision / Wanda romance. I'm also sick of him getting portrayed has a guy with ever shifting loyalties...which is apparently what he'll be in the House of M / Secret War tie-in. I mean, would the Avengers let him in their group if he was so untrustworthy? I think he's become a "bad guy" three times in his history, and he left the Avengers because they either didn't protect his sister well enough or because he felt abandoned by them. So he had his reasons for doing what he did, he doesn't switch loyalties at the drop of a hat.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by veriaqa View Post
    So it seems that it is official now that Quicksilver is not a mutant anymore. Any thought from the Quicksilver's fans? By the way I seriously against the change. But what we can do, Marvel owns the character and knows better.
    It's a stupid retcon made all the more stupid because they basically did it to match the movies, and movie Pietro is already dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilverfan View Post
    I am also worried about what they'll do to him in the comic. I can deal with Quicksilver dying in the MCU just like I can deal with Quicksilver dying in the Ultimate universe, and Age of Apocalypse universe : they're not the "original" version of the character. But given the importance of the MCU to the comics nowadays, it has me worried. Heck, I think there's a certain synchronicity between what happened to Hank Pym in Rage of Ultron and the fact that he's not the titular character in the upcoming Ant-man movie. The end result is that neither the comic book version or the movie version are likely to play a major role in the Marvel U any time soon.
    I'm starting to be of the opinion that none of the people in charge of Marvel are terribly fond of Quicksilver so they'd be pretty happy to get rid of him.
    One can argue the merits of such a philosophy, but I honestly think that history, in terms of comic history, is not a huge determining factor at Marvel these days.

It's all about the movies, and whatever feeds that beast will be produced and whatever doesn't will be ignored or destroyed. If it makes more sense (and is easier) to have Wanda alone in the MCU, then Pietro is out. And the only reason to ever bring him back would be the outcries of film fans, because the wants and needs of comic fans don't seem to factor in much anymore.

I'm sure it makes some kind of business sense, but personally I feel absolutely disconnected from the Marvel Comics universe (small "u") at this point. And it's not just the thing with Pietro, it's the entire direction and emphasis of the line. I don't recognize these folks anymore, nor do I recognize their world.

Things do change, of course, but they rarely revert back. And if they do, it takes a LONG time.

Someone above said it best: it's a difficult time to be a Quicksilver fan.

Astonishing Member

I totally get where you're coming from. Most people forget that Quicksilver at the core is a decent guy and he was a decent guy for a good chunk of his early history before Englehart decided to make him the villain in the Vision / Wanda romance. I'm also sick of him getting portrayed has a guy with ever shifting loyalties...which is apparently what he'll be in the House of M / Secret War tie-in. I mean, would the Avengers let him in their group if he was so untrustworthy? I think he's become a "bad guy" three times in his history, and he left the Avengers because they either didn't protect his sister well enough or because he felt abandoned by them. So he had his reasons for doing what he did, he doesn't switch loyalties at the drop of a hat.
    You know what I'd like to see a writer do? I'd like to see someone focus on why he even tries. I mean, if the world is so slow and annoying, why does he even try to be a superhero and save it. And if he can barely stand people, why does he spend so much of his hero career on teams with other people. Most people who know Quicksilver and his current personality would assume that he wouldn't be cut out for a career that involves helping people. So, why does he do it? It would be easy to assume that first it was because he was doing it for Wanda, and now he's doing it for Luna. However, maybe there's more to it.

Everyone remembers the famous X-Factor issue in which they explained why he acted like a jerk. Now, someone should delve in deeper and figure out why this jerk is a superhero.

Incredible Member

You know what I'd like to see a writer do? I'd like to see someone focus on why he even tries. I mean, if the world is so slow and annoying, why does he even try to be a superhero and save it. And if he can barely stand people, why does he spend so much of his hero career on teams with other people. Most people who know Quicksilver and his current personality would assume that he wouldn't be cut out for a career that involves helping people. So, why does he do it? It would be easy to assume that first it was because he was doing it for Wanda, and now he's doing it for Luna. However, maybe there's more to it.

Everyone remembers the famous X-Factor issue in which they explained why he acted like a jerk. Now, someone should delve in deeper and figure out why this jerk is a superhero.
    I've often asked myself the same question. If he hates people so much, why is he always in teams, and moreover, why do his teammates accept him in his team? I mean, he doesn't have to save the Earth with other people to relieve whatever boredom he feels. And he's not the only speedster around, so the Avengers don't need to put up with him if they don't want to.
    That exploration of Pietro's jerkiness was all well and good, but I think there's something deeper that motivates him. My theory is that he's been an outsider all his life and he wants to belong somewhere so he's a hero to gain acceptance. At the same time though, because he's spent his formative years needing to look out for himself and his sister, he's very reluctant to open to others and tell them point blank what he wants. So that's my theory, but I think if any writer actually had any interest in the character, it wouldn't be so hard to come up with something else. As a Quicksilver fan for the past fifteen or so years, i've been very frustrated with how the character is dealt with. I read him in a story fifteen years ago, and thought he had great potential as a character, and I've been waitiNg ever since for someone to use him to his potential. I'm not asking for a "Quicksilver saves the universe" story, just something that actually explores his character a bit more deeply even if he's just doing something mundane.

I've often asked myself the same question. If he hates people so much, why is he always in teams, and moreover, why do his teammates accept him in his team? I mean, he doesn't have to save the Earth with other people to relieve whatever boredom he feels. And he's not the only speedster around, so the Avengers don't need to put up with him if they don't want to.
    That exploration of Pietro's jerkiness was all well and good, but I think there's something deeper that motivates him. My theory is that he's been an outsider all his life and he wants to belong somewhere so he's a hero to gain acceptance. At the same time though, because he's spent his formative years needing to look out for himself and his sister, he's very reluctant to open to others and tell them point blank what he wants. So that's my theory, but I think if any writer actually had any interest in the character, it wouldn't be so hard to come up with something else. As a Quicksilver fan for the past fifteen or so years, i've been very frustrated with how the character is dealt with. I read him in a story fifteen years ago, and thought he had great potential as a character, and I've been waitiNg ever since for someone to use him to his potential. I'm not asking for a "Quicksilver saves the universe" story, just something that actually explores his character a bit more deeply even if he's just doing something mundane.
    Have you read "The Quick and the Dead"?

Incredible Member

Have you read "The Quick and the Dead"?
    Which one? There's like three "Quick and the Dead" Quicksilver stories...and I've read them all. I'm assuming you're talking about the X-Factor story, if I remember correctly it was just Pietro hallucinating people telling him he was a good person, but didn't delve much deeper into his motivations...I seriously hated the artwork for that issue.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Didn't Peter David say that he joined X-Factor because he needed someone to care for and they person was Lorna? (I don't remember the exact wording). Anyway that would work for me on a bigger scale: even if he finds people slow and annoying, he still needs to care for and protect them on a very profound level. Sort of a "sigh. Time to save the stupid, stupid human" kind of thing.

He's certainly very protective of his loved ones.
    "Self has no time for this."

Which one? There's like three "Quick and the Dead" Quicksilver stories...and I've read them all. I'm assuming you're talking about the X-Factor story, if I remember correctly it was just Pietro hallucinating people telling him he was a good person, but didn't delve much deeper into his motivations...I seriously hated the artwork for that issue.
    Was not aware of any others titled similarly. So, yes, the X-Factor spinoff issue is what I refer to. I didn't like the art, either, but I thought it was a bit deeper than you did. At the very least it was an attempt to rehabilitate the character from his moustache-twirling days under Englehart and others.

I understand the need to show why Pietro is a hero, but I'd counter that many heroes don't have defining stories that show 'why' they are heroes. You can say that Pietro sticks up for the little guy, the defenseless against the powerful, because he was exposed to corruption of power as a young boy who watched his fellow gypsies tormented and killed. Or you could just assume he's a decent human being who enjoys using his powers for good, while simultaneously protecting his sister. Maybe it just started out as a means to protect Wanda, but he grew to enjoy it and now is a hero for it's own sake?

At any rate, I'd agree a story pursuing this is a good idea, but even without it, I think one could make a case for Pietro being a decent human being (or whatever they want to call him now).

My take on TQATD was a bit deeper, though. I thought it was a story of redemption, of Pietro finding himself again and realizing that there was much more to him than the admittedly regrettable actions he had recently taken. And I don't recall it simply being a hallucinogenic parade of people "telling him he was good"; the image of Magneto certainly didn't tell him that. And I think the only other image he saw was Wanda.

I also don't think Pietro hates people. He's annoyed with them a lot, but then again, a lot of people are annoyed with other people. I think there's an argument to be made that somewhere deep inside he's resented being forced into the role of Wanda's protector, to the detriment of his own life. He may blame her, or their father (whoever that ends up being) for sort of casting him in this role, or maybe even himself because on some level he realizes he's using that as an excuse for not fully living his own life. I agree he's a complex, fascinating character who is basically decent but is far and away his own worst enemy.

Incredible Member

I understand the need to show why Pietro is a hero, but I'd counter that many heroes don't have defining stories that show 'why' they are heroes. You can say that Pietro sticks up for the little guy, the defenseless against the powerful, because he was exposed to corruption of power as a young boy who watched his fellow gypsies tormented and killed. Or you could just assume he's a decent human being who enjoys using his powers for good, while simultaneously protecting his sister. Maybe it just started out as a means to protect Wanda, but he grew to enjoy it and now is a hero for it's own sake?
    The thing is Quicksilver , unlike many other heroes, is sometimes written as such an unsympathetic character, that you have to wonder why he is a hero. If he was written as he was during the Stan Lee days, then I wouldn't need to have his motivations spelled out, but since many writers just make him a jerk, it's harder to reconcile why a jerk would risk his life for others. And since many MANY Marvel fans have a low opinion of him, I think elucidating his motivations might help readers understand him better.

My take on TQATD was a bit deeper, though. I thought it was a story of redemption, of Pietro finding himself again and realizing that there was much more to him than the admittedly regrettable actions he had recently taken. And I don't recall it simply being a hallucinogenic parade of people "telling him he was good"; the image of Magneto certainly didn't tell him that. And I think the only other image he saw was Wanda.
    He hallucinated Wanda, Magneto, Luna, Crystal and Layla Miller. The specifics of what they said, I don't remember.

I also don't think Pietro hates people. He's annoyed with them a lot, but then again, a lot of people are annoyed with other people. I think there's an argument to be made that somewhere deep inside he's resented being forced into the role of Wanda's protector, to the detriment of his own life. He may blame her, or their father (whoever that ends up being) for sort of casting him in this role, or maybe even himself because on some level he realizes he's using that as an excuse for not fully living his own life. I agree he's a complex, fascinating character who is basically decent but is far and away his own worst enemy.
    That's an interesting observation...it's too bad none of the comics have ever tried to delve that far into his character. I'd love to see Pietro exhibit something other than love towards Wanda. I mean I don't want him to hate her, but to be honest, Wanda has screwed him over a lot in recent history...like getting cursed by Wanda in Axis. It would be nice for him to tell Wanda "Hey Wanda, I love you and all, but I'm getting a little bit tired of you depowering me, hexing me, and just plain ignoring me"

Astonishing Member

The thing is Quicksilver , unlike many other heroes, is sometimes written as such an unsympathetic character, that you have to wonder why he is a hero. If he was written as he was during the Stan Lee days, then I wouldn't need to have his motivations spelled out, but since many writers just make him a jerk, it's harder to reconcile why a jerk would risk his life for others. And since many MANY Marvel fans have a low opinion of him, I think elucidating his motivations might help readers understand him better.
    When negative traits take over a character, you have to do your best to work with them. It's like when Dan Slott was faced with the whole "Hank Pym is crazy" thing. Despite trying, Kurt Busiek couldn't even put that to rest. So, Slott was kind of like "Okay, so Pym's a crazy scientist. But he's the Avengers' crazy scientist and that's why it's cool", and then went on to have as much fun as he could with Pym as mad scientist leader of the Mighty Avengers. So, I don't think you can put the "Pietro's a jerk" thing back in the bottle. However, they can focus on why this jerk continues to be a superhero and why he's one of the best guys to have on your side.

By the way, did you guys notice that the twins' new origin has dropped: http://nerdist.com/comics-relief-sca...ve-earth-more/. Other than dropping the mutant thing (thus making the original Brotherhood of Evil Mutants into The Brotherhood of Three Mutants and Two Something Elses), it's essentially a long trip back to the beginning. Oh well, at least having them connected to all that Mt. Wundagore craziness is more fun than having them connected to Hydra.

Well, that's that...damn. They really know how to bury hope, don't they?

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/What-...vel-71343.html